Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN#s for Tesla Roadsters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am cataloging Roadsters and their pictures on an app called VinWiki. I can either use the VIN of the car, or the license plate to get the VIN#. The problem I have, is people refer to their Roadsters as #777, #303, etc, instead of the whole VIN. So I have the 5YJRE part, and the last 7ish digits (1000303), but not the middle. Is there some way that I can get those middle characters just from the last 3 or 4 that are listed?

Thanks, nthn

upload_2018-12-24_20-58-25.png

#6 Region/Drive Position: 1 = USA/LHD
#7 Restraint System: A = Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Airbags
#8 Motor/Drive Unit: 3 = Tesla M6S Motor
#9 Check Character: I believe this will vary to confirm that all the other entries are correct
#10 Model Year: A = 2010
#11 Location of Manufacture: 1 = Menlo Park, CA, USA
#12 Serial #, 100,000s digit: 0

Sequencing for US and EU both started counting at 1, but earlier digits in the VIN define the car's market (US, EU, RHD, etc.) Just typing in the last 3 as previously mentioned will not pull up whole VIN’s on mutiple cars.
Is this your own app you are populating?

Reactions: DeedWest
I know how to decode them, what I want to do it to be able to see "this is my Roadster Vin#345", and be able to get the whole VIN.
It’s just the reverse. There aren’t really that many variables. For North America, anything under 500 is 2008, and anything over is 2010 or 2011. You may have to guess by flipping the motor and check digit values to figure out if th car is a sport model.