Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN#s for Tesla Roadsters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am preparing to launch (next week) a Tesla owners Registry for Model S, Model X and Model 3.

I want to immediately add original Roadster support, but find it's the model I know the least about. Because it's a database-driven site (and iOS app), I need to build some tables of colors, options, wheels, etc, with Roadster-specific data.

If any roadster knowledgeable fans here wants to PM me to volunteer to help provide some of this info, I'd appreciate it and would be able to then add the original Roadster to the list of Tesla vehicles that this registry will support. PM me an email address and I can you as a collaborator on a shared Google sheet that I am using to collect this information. Would love to add Roadster support!

Here are the tenants of our site/app:

1) Your privacy is maintained. Our signup won't even ask for your name. We solely use usernames. While you are certainly welcome to use the same username as you do here at TMC, that's up to you and we will not be doing any "scraping" of TMC to harvest that information.

2) Member users will input their own (full) VIN to enter the registry - but they will have the choice to display the full VIN or they can select to obscure portions of it with XXXXX if they don't feel comfortably displaying the full VIN. Choice is yours.

3) Similarly, while we ask you to tell us where you live, you'll have the option to display that information to others - or not. That's a common theme of our site/app - we encourage you to share the information you wish and hide the information you don't.

4) We have photo gallery support to allow you to upload photos of your car that others can view and "like". But, again, if you chose not to upload a photo (or don't have ones you like) we have some generic Model-specific artwork to use as a placeholder.

There's much more in store than JUST a Tesla registry. But starting with the registry functionality to get member feedback on that aspect and make sure it's solid before adding the additional features.

Thanks in advance for anybody who wants to contribute to the Roadster data.

Madwhips from what I remember is pretty much photos only, no? Our site/app will have similar photo aspect but will be Tesla specific and also highlight all the various options (Premium Sound, AutoPilot, Air Suspension, etc, etc.) that each car has. And list any aftermarket accessories or modifications such as radar detectors, floor mats, hidden license plate frames, window tints, replacement interior lights, etc, etc. Eventually will be able to see details of the modifications and accessories (brands, price, satisfaction, etc).

Think Madwhips meets Houzz meets Yelp. It will evolve in that direction.

The only information I got was from the public forum, but I can take you name off if you want.
You really don’t get it. People should not have to opt out of you taking their information and compiling it into a personal database.

In the EU you could not do that. Saying “this is the internet and I can do whatever I want” is not an excuse for invading people’s privacy.

You have no privacy after you post it all online. You can't post stuff on a public forum, then complain about no privacy. No privacy on the forum was your own doing, not mine. I am covered under fair use copyright law, look it up. I am sighting the source, and am not using it for commercial purposes.

You have no privacy after you post it all online. You can't post stuff on a public forum, then complain about no privacy. No privacy on the forum was your own doing, not mine. I am covered under fair use copyright law, look it up. I am sighting the source, and am not using it for commercial purposes.
Remember that checkbox you clicked when signing up for the forum? The one where you agreed to the terms of service? You might should read that.

You agree to not ... “collect or store personal data about other users.”

That is not true. VINs are publicly available information. Look up "license plate to VIN". The reason this is possible, is because VINs are in a publicly available database. This cannot be done in Canada, or UK for example. But in the US, it is legal, and possible to get VIN numbers.

That is not true. VINs are publicly available information. Look up "license plate to VIN". The reason this is possible, is because VINs are in a publicly available database. This cannot be done in Canada, or UK for example. But in the US, it is legal, and possible to get VIN numbers.

We are talking 20 years ago. And yes it was happening. There was a time that every vehicle you looked at on a used lot had business card over the vins on the dash.

@nthn - I would recommend keeping your app as a public database where users can voluntarily add their VINs - IF they consent on their own. I wouldn't waste your time pursuing locating all of the Roadster VINs. It's already been completed by myself and at least a few others here on the forum, and that information will remain private to respect the owners of these rare vehicles.

@nthn - I would recommend keeping your app as a public database where users can voluntarily add their VINs - IF they consent on their own. I wouldn't waste your time pursuing locating all of the Roadster VINs. It's already been completed by myself and at least a few others here on the forum, and that information will remain private to respect the owners of these rare vehicles.
First, it is a TOTALLY public app. Every bit of information is public on there. There is no private lists or anything like that.

Second, this information (VINs) is public information, and I am not going to stop using public information just because some people don't want me to. Here in TN, the state has a website of all addresses, and their owners. I can find where Dolly Parton lives, whether she wants me too or not. It is public information, and I am not not going to use it.

Yet you block people viewing your profile? Strange.
Question, why the roadster? You basically alienated yourself from the roadster community, your attitude shows nothing but contempt for the owners of these cars. Just because you are ‘allowed’ to do something does that give you the moral right to do so. You display strange behavior for someone who is interested in these cars, it feels like an attention getter. I don’t know so I’m genuinely curious.

Reactions: ICON and DeedWest
Yet you block people viewing your profile? Strange.
Question, why the roadster? You basically alienated yourself from the roadster community, your attitude shows nothing but contempt for the owners of these cars. Just because you are ‘allowed’ to do something does that give you the moral right to do so. You display strange behavior for someone who is interested in these cars, it feels like an attention getter. I don’t know so I’m genuinely curious.
I am not trying to get attention. I just posted a friendly message of what I was doing, and told you how to see it if you wanted to. Then you guys blow up about VINs, and personal information. VINs are public (also posted by you), and I am not using any personal information. That makes both of your points (the forum in general) moot. There is no difference of you posting the VIN here on a public website, as me posting it on the app on a public app. Both ways, your information was posted. One by you, one by me. What is the difference?

You believe it’s your right to do so, that’s the difference. You have been anything but friendly, infact you have been and continue to be totally confrontational. I’m not sure what both my points were, I was genuinely interested why you chose and continue indulge yourself with roadsters if it’s not for attention/ adoration on a specific site. And why you chose to block your own profile when you continue to speak of such freedoms you enjoy? I just don’t get it and wish for you to explain.

Reactions: ICON
You believe it’s your right to do so, that’s the difference. You have been anything but friendly, infact you have been and continue to be totally confrontational. I’m not sure what both my points were, I was genuinely interested why you chose and continue indulge yourself with roadsters if it’s not for attention/ adoration on a specific site. And why you chose to block your own profile when you continue to speak of such freedoms you enjoy? I just don’t get it and wish for you to explain.
I don't think I have been confrontational, just defensive. If anything, the thread responders have been hostile. By "your" points, I meant the forum in general on this thread. As to why I am doing this, I am a huge Tesla fan, and Roadsters esp. I just like them as vehicles and a company, and wanted to compile as complete a list as possible.

As far as my profile, with everyone saying I am taking their personal information (name what personal information I have used besides VIN), I have a sneaking feeling that they would love to publish or find out as much as possible about me. Which is their right, I just don't want that to happen. Remember, it was their choice to put their info on here, I didn't steal it.

Thankyou for honestly answering the question. I certainly don’t agree with your principles but I understand what you are artempting to do. Unfortunately it’s been done, and done, and done.
The information here will be way more comprehensive than assigning a vin to an assumed name and I’m embarrassed for the way people responded, however that does not excuse your behavior.
Most people on this part of the forum give information willingly when asked, but don’t take to kindly when it’s taken from them, which is exactly what you stated you had the right to do. Neither was the correct way to go about things and you just permanently damaged anyone looking for similar advice.
Most users here are very open minded and take criticism with grace, which is very rare in a forum and the fact you feel you were defensive but not confrontational is a little sad to see.
What’s wrong in exposing more about yourself, I mean what are you trying to hide? We try hard to be inclusive as a community but you seemed to go out of your way to be excluded. I wish you well in what you are attempting to achieve but I feel you will not have the support of the vast wealth of information you could get here.

Reactions: ICON and DeedWest
Thankyou for honestly answering the question. I certainly don’t agree with your principles but I understand what you are artempting to do. Unfortunately it’s been done, and done, and done.
The information here will be way more comprehensive than assigning a vin to an assumed name and I’m embarrassed for the way people responded, however that does not excuse your behavior.
Most people on this part of the forum give information willingly when asked, but don’t take to kindly when it’s taken from them, which is exactly what you stated you had the right to do. Neither was the correct way to go about things and you just permanently damaged anyone looking for similar advice.
Most users here are very open minded and take criticism with grace, which is very rare in a forum and the fact you feel you were defensive but not confrontational is a little sad to see.
What’s wrong in exposing more about yourself, I mean what are you trying to hide? We try hard to be inclusive as a community but you seemed to go out of your way to be excluded. I wish you well in what you are attempting to achieve but I feel you will not have the support of the vast wealth of information you could get here.
Again, I'm sorry you (again, the whole forum) feels this way. I have not singled out this forum for any reason, I use all sources that I can. In my opinion, I am legally, morally and ethically allowed to use this information. Again, what is the difference between me posting info, and them posting the same info, both on a public venue?

Also, the main reason I am using usernames, is because I DON'T want to use someone's real name! That would be private information, that was not readily shared on the forum. They don't post their real name on the forum, because they don't want the whole world knowing. If they are bothered about their VINs, don't post them either. Your choice.