Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN shows Model S 90D as 70 KwH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, we're going through the purchase of our first Tesla,a used 2016 90D and just added it to our insurance. I gave the VIN to my agent and the temporary insurance card shows the car as a 70 KwH. I'm confused why this would be.

I ask our Tesla advisor and he said that the drive motors have been upgraded from 70 to 90. Not sure what that means.

Is this something to worry about? Thanks.

70-90.PNG

Battery has been unlocked from 70 kWh to 90 kWh. They would have paid extra to have that, and Tesla would change the badging to reflect that.

If that is what your adviser said, he/she is just wrong. There was and continues to be no upgrade path from a 70 to a 90 pack. Even if the HV battery failed and they replaced it, I doubt it would have been replaced with a 90 pack.

To be sure you have 90 pack, you can check the battery sticker under the car. It’s on the passenger side right behind the front wheel well.

dunno why there is a discrepancy with your insurance co.

Reactions: TeamC
If that is what your adviser said, he/she is just wrong. There was and continues to be no upgrade path from a 70 to a 90 pack. Even if the HV battery failed and they replaced it, I doubt it would have been replaced with a 90 pack.

To be sure you have 90 pack, you can check the battery sticker under the car. It’s on the passenger side right behind the front wheel well.

dunno why there is a discrepancy with your insurance co.

Thanks. We'll make sure to look under the car at delivery to look at the battery label. Do you know if it is clear to tell the capacity by reading the label?

check the battery serial number, is that one of the replaced batteries? the 90kw pack has had 3 revisions. if you have a newer revision, that could be an indication too

Battery has been unlocked from 70 kWh to 90 kWh. They would have paid extra to have that, and Tesla would change the badging to reflect that.

also nope, this is wrong. there is no upgrade path from 70 to 90 kw

When verifying the battery, is there anything else to be looking for? Is the battery capacity the only difference between the 70 and 90? Is there any differences in performance, capabilities, etc. I believe that range is the only difference, but want to make sure.

Our delivery date was pushed to 12/29. Apparently they accidentally moved it back to the offsite lot. They said delivery center didn't check that it was scheduled to be picked up today. Whoops on their part. Hopefully it's not a foreshadowing of Tesla service.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your knowledge with my question. We picked up the car yesterday. I confirmed it has a 90 kwh battery.

Was a little disappointed with the delivery; car wasn't completely cleaned/detailed, previous owner's paperwork was in the glovebox (wow!), and charging kit was missing a part. But nothing that couldn't be remedied. So far, so good.

Thanks!

Congratulations. You will love it.
My insurance company data also showed my car as a "70". (It is a 2016 90D)
Just curious: What does your cars full charge range display? Also, it will take you a while to get this, but let me know what is your cars real full charge range? The easy way to determine this, if you care, is to set your battery display to State of Charge rather than range. Then when you take a trip, you can divide the miles driven by the change in SOC. For example if you drive 120 miles and your battery goes from 80% to 30%, that is 50% of your battery. 120 miles divided by 0.5, which is 240 miles for full charge range.

The easy way to determine this, if you care, is to set your battery display to State of Charge rather than range. Then when you take a trip, you can divide the miles driven by the change in SOC. For example if you drive 120 miles and your battery goes from 80% to 30%, that is 50% of your battery. 120 miles divided by 0.5, which is 240 miles for full charge range.

Easier to look at the current rated range and then just divide by the percentage. If you're at 200 miles of range remaining with 80% SoC, 200 / .8 = 250 miles.