Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Timing & Production Cycle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am awaiting our VIN on our MYP. I ordered on 2-4. I was wondering what time of day do they issue VINs?

Also, I see that a lot of VINs getting issued for LRMYs. Its been since the 1-29 that I have seen a VIN issued for a MYP. Do they have a particular production cycle rotation they use for producing the Ys or any Tesla's?
Basically, are they just producing LRs right now, and finished MYPs around 1-29, then will come back to making more MYPs later?

Hopefully that makes sense.
Thanks!

Reactions: jonathanp
Well, today the delivery dates of March 4- March 28 has gone away from my order screen. Now it just says 4-8 weeks from purchase date...
this is new to me. I hadn't heard about that happening to forum members in the past month I've been following closely. But the dates did jump around for me a lot.

There are discussions here that they seem to build MYPs in batches, and judging by VIN assignments as you noted the LR MY's seem to be made in much greater volume and the VIN's assigned in numerous cases instantly.

With the MYP we pay for the privilege of waiting patiently. But nothing like the privilege people who ordered a Model S Plaid, or longer the Roadster get to enjoy with their wait times. ;)

Have no idea, as I placed my order on 2/16, and on my Tesla account it says to get ready for delivery between 2/17 - 2/19. I haven't received a VIN (and don't expect to for 4-6 weeks), but just find it funny since it says that on my account.

Plus, when I had the SA do a search on 2/15 to see if there were any LR with black interior & 20" Induction wheels available in existing inventory, there was only 1 available (black Y) within a 200 mile range. So I suspect Tesla will build more cars in the next few weeks and they'll eventually get delivered down to Southern California around mid/late March.

this is new to me. I hadn't heard about that happening to forum members in the past month I've been following closely. But the dates did jump around for me a lot.

There are discussions here that they seem to build MYPs in batches, and judging by VIN assignments as you noted the LR MY's seem to be made in much greater volume and the VIN's assigned in numerous cases instantly.

With the MYP we pay for the privilege of waiting patiently. But nothing like the privilege people who ordered a Model S Plaid, or longer the Roadster get to enjoy with their wait times. ;)
Or Cybertruck!

• Informative
Reactions: JAM3S
Tesla manufactures in batches. Same trim level, same color.

Quarter-end is in sight, deliveries will favor the most remote markets - Canada and Eastern US. Then the wave travels West. In the last weeks of March, West Coast buyers will likely be able to receive their vehicle in a few days.

Also, odds are better if all your ducks are lined up. Copy of insurance card for your current vehicle; no finance, or finance / lease nailed down; no trade-in, or trade-in assessed.

We accelerated delivery of my wife’s 3D Stealth Performance through the above strategy. We weren’t financing or trading in, I assured the delivery team the funds were on hand. Suddenly the car was in motion towards us. Then I told the local delivery point I could accept delivery whenever they were ready since it was a short drive. Delivery date moved a day or two closer.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: RollTelsaRoll