TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

VIN to Delivery time - Estimated vs. Actual

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TheAustin, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

For those of you wondering what the timing might be from the time you receive your VIN#, to the time your car gets delivered, here's what I got, and here's what happened:

December 6th - Received VIN #, via the following email:
    Hi Austin,
    The time has finally come where your VIN is in our system! Here it is: XXXXXXXXXXXXX1929. You should have no trouble getting insurance for your Model S with this information. You can get financing with the preMVPA and VIN, however some banks or credit unions will want the final paperwork. I would like to have the car complete its journey through the factory before preparing the final paperwork, and I expect that to happen in the next 2 weeks. Also, I was informed that the transit time from CA to NY is 10-14 days , so it is probably going to be 4 weeks before delivery takes place. However, feel free to email or call if you are having troubles, or would like up-to-date information, and I will do what I can.
    Cheers, Peter

December 25th - Car arrived at Queens, NY Service Center

December 30th - Car was delivered to our home on the eastern end of Long Island. I probably could have had it delivered a couple of days sooner, but I was traveling, and then we had snow predicted upon our return.

Estimated time from VIN to delivery: 4 weeks
    Actual time from VIN to delivery: 3 weeks 3 days (again, could have been closer to 3 weeks)

2. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I was told that I had been assigned a VIN on 12/17, actually received the paperwork with the VIN on 12/20, and was told that my car completed production on 12/30. I picked it up at the factory on 12/31. So for me it was less than 2 weeks from VIN to completion (no shipping for me).

3. Electric Machete

The Austin, you should have your DS give classes to the other DS's. Mine assured me I would have it before the new year. Now it is in parts unknown, USA. Truck driver doesn't seem to understand the concept of voice mail. Most importantly, you were given a time frame by your DS that was based upon previous data. And it was accurate. I don't mind waiting. I just hate not knowing.

4. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

In the interest of truthiness, I did end up calling them about twice as often as they were calling me, asking for information and updates...But they either took my call right away, or got back to me very quickly every time. Even when they have the information, I think that there is just so much going on that they don't always have enough hours in the day to always be proactive and get the information out to the owners. I don't envy them, put it that way! But overall, my missed deadlines were more bigger-picture, before production even started...Late slummer slipped to September/October, which slipped to December/January...But once I had my VIN#, they gave me a delivery range of December 17th-31st, and the got it right in there. So, from my end (end, no pun intended, I'm on the eastern end of Long Island, about as far as you can get in the US away from California!), I was pretty happy with the final delivery stages.