Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIn to Delivery Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OD 2/4/23
MYP white/black, no upgrades
EDD changed 3x
Current EDD 3/16 to 3/31

Still no VIN#

I hope I get it before March 31 to get the federal tax credit. The SA told me wait time for MYP is 2weeks than LR 3 months.

OD 1/25/2023
Model S Plaid: Multi-Coat Red (now Ultra Red)

I have yet to receive a VIN.
Estimated Delivery: 3/20 - 3/31

What is the process of receiving a VIN? Does it come by way of the app? Email notification? Showroom personnel?

I have owned a 2017 Tesla Model S now for more than 5 years. And I must say, the experience of buying a new Tesla now is absolutely different than before. It's like they are a total different company now. That one-on-one experience is gone.

I received an email letting me know a VIN was assigned.
MYLR5 wht/blk
OD: 3/1
Tucson, AZ delivery
EDD delayed again: Now 6/1 - 6/30

Could be problematic as we're planning on being out of town late June through July. Anyone have experience with delivery dates conflicting with travel dates?
several Tesla employees told me that VIN assignment means that the car configuration you ordered is somewhere in the build process. VIN numbers get assigned anywhere from the start of a build up to the end of the build. Fremont factory is turning out cars about every 8 mins, so by the time you check on it, the car may already be built.
OD 3/3 Model Y: Midnight silver/white interior, 5 seater Delivery 5/8-6/13 Last week I got a text: Delivery date was set for 3/29 but no VIN, but then pushed back to 5/1-11.
We were on vacation last week, so I did the Tesla Power of Attorney form for a friend to pickup the car for us. I took it to the local Tesla dealer and they were good with it. I got a cashiers check and gave it to my friend for payment. I provided my current insurance to the sales lady and she marked me down for insurance.
This morning I replied back to the phone number and asked why my date was pushed back. They said that I would be notified once a VIN is assigned and delivery schedule. Less then an hour later I saw in the Tesla app that a VIN was assigned. 5mins later, I got a text and email to schedule my delivery day. About an hour later I got a call from a guy at Tesla in Rocklin, CA verifying my configuration, payment option, trade-in, delivery day/time. He told me to have the cashiers check made out to Tesla Inc. Picking up the car Thursday 4/6.

Ordered 2 MYLR’s on 4/23. One is Grey with white interior and tow package. The other is Black on Black with tow. Received a message 2 days ago that it was time to complete the payment option for one of them, no vin assignment yet but delivery estimate shows 5/17-6/14. Haven’t received that message yet for the other one and delivery for that one shows 5/26-6/30. I’m guessing for the one they wanted financing info for that maybe a vin assignment is coming soon?

I’m missing something. I waited 11 calendar days from order to ready for pickup.

Saw a new Model Y with colors I wanted inside and out on line. Reserved it with my credit card and got a VIN when I clicked next. It was April 21, 2023, the vehicle had a May 2nd delivery day. Dealer got a little pissy because I didn’t pick it up until until May 5th.

Last edited: