Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN... VIN... Where's My VIN...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a possible tactic, and not uncommon in business. I searched TMC for the term "bait and switch" and 493 messages qualified. Topics from autopilot to alcantara and others. This thread started out with a similar feel.

It is a possible tactic, and not uncommon in business. I searched TMC for the term "bait and switch" and 493 messages qualified. Topics from autopilot to alcantara and others. This thread started out with a similar feel.

And you just demonstrated how easy it is to make a completely false accusation of bait and switch, with no facts to back it up, and no regrets whatsoever.

With some help, it turns out that ALL Model 3 deliveries to the Richmond, VA location are on HOLD. It took multiple emails to my inside guy in Vegas to get him to learn this, admit it, and do something about it. Three weeks time lost waiting. The same day (today) they changed my delivery to Tyson's Corner (DC) I was assigned a VIN.

Oh, wow... I've been wondering why I haven't received a VIN. And my DS hasn't reached out to me (the Las Vegas one). Did they indicate why the hold? Thanks for the heads up.

Tesla isn't custom making your car. They are making large batches of cars of each configuration, then matching cars with orders. So you get your VIN much later than on the MS/MX process. When you get your VIN, your car should be ready for delivery within a few days to a week depending on how much transit time it will take.
You probably ordered a configuration that is rarer than usual (probably color), and it might take a little longer until its made.
M3 production priority is to maximize production. Once it gets to 2500/wk and higher, Tesla will be able to cycle through all order types a little faster even with the introduction of the SR battery and AWD.
Do you work for Tesla?

No? Link?

Do you work for Tesla?

No?
Unless you've been living under a rock, you would have seen enough information to conclude this independently. Or you would have to assume most people are lying here.
No I don't work at Tesla.
That's the only way to explain why so many people get their VINs and bam, ready to deliver in a few days.
PS: Garlan can you be a little more open minded and not so depressing ????? Its so sad !

Unless you've been living under a rock, you would have seen enough information to conclude this independently. Or you would have to assume most people are lying here.
That's the only way to explain why so many people get their VINs and bam, ready to deliver in a few days.
PS: Garlan can you be a little more open minded and not so depressing ????? Its so sad !
I live in reality. I'm not depressed.

I just hate people that aren't willing to face the truth when its bad news.

I'm not sad at all. I'm not sure why what I say would make anyone sad.

I totally understand that some people are born optimists and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm also aware that constant optimism can lead to not fixing things when they are broken

There have been plenty of folks here who really didn't want there to be any delays....and God knows I'm on the same boat as I didn't / don't either. However I'm willing to accept delays very quickly and try to come up with causes and remedies - WHILE at the same time trying to convince people 4 steps behind that there is INDEED a delay.
We can't have a discussion about a delay until people believe it exists. I'm still trying to have discussions with folks about how bad the delay is ....however they still say that there is no delay.....and it happens all of the time.....and nothing is wrong.

For instance: I'm wondering how long it will take to fulfill 400K plus orders. Tesla says they are producing 1K per week. As soon as I mention that its going to take 400 weeks to fulfill all of their orders....people say that I'm being depressing. We can't even have a discussion about the truth because people say that I'm making them sad or depressing them. 400 weeks @1K per week is what Tesla currently quoted. Whereas 200 weeks @ 2k per week is the same thing. I suggest that Tesla has to double their output and folks say that I'm against Tesla or something crazy like that.

Open minded...sure. But not against the truth. The truth always wins. It wins in the stock price etc...... Investors aren't stupid....they want the facts.

If Tesla's production numbers meet their expectations 1K per week on Feb 7th, then the stock price probably won't go anywhere.
However if production numbers exceed expatiations of 1K per week on Feb 7th, the stock price will probably rise.

That's just math....not being closed minded or non optimistic or anything.

You said "So you get your VIN much later than on the MS/MX process" I'm trying to find out where you got that info....because some people are getting their VIN numbers the same day and others get theirs almost a month later. That's just the truth. I'm not being depressing or anything. Its the truth. I'm trying to figure out where you saw that statement or if that is a "mac'ism". llol

Last edited:
Reactions: bonaire
Garlan perhaps you haven't followed Tesla since before the Model S rollout.
Tesla has pretty much accomplished everything they promissed up to about 3 years ago. The last 3 years worth of promisses are perhaps half done, the other half is underway.
I don't see Tesla as any disappointment. If you allow for Elon time dilation, you see he's always ahead of schedule (joking).
Seriously give the man some room to work with.
His track record is excellent. Let him work.
Tesla will get there. Model 3 production will break half a million units per year. You and everybody else will get your cars.
For me its easy to look at it positively because I don't even own a car, so I have no plans of getting a Tesla. I drive in a year less than many people drive in a week, with a borrowed car (but I ride my bike some 10000km/year).

For instance: I'm wondering how long it will take to fulfill 400K plus orders. Tesla says they are producing 1K per week. As soon as I mention that its going to take 400 weeks to fulfill all of their orders....people say that I'm being depressing.

People say this because in no universe will production be frozen at 1K/wk for 400 weeks. They only delivered 220 Model 3s in Q3 2017. Did you believe, at the time, that production would be stuck at 18 cars per week for eternity?

I live in reality. I'm not depressed.

I just hate people that aren't willing to face the truth when its bad news.

I'm not sad at all. I'm not sure why what I say would make anyone sad.

I totally understand that some people are born optimists and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm also aware that constant optimism can lead to not fixing things when they are broken

There have been plenty of folks here who really didn't want there to be any delays....and God knows I'm on the same boat as I didn't / don't either. However I'm willing to accept delays very quickly and try to come up with causes and remedies - WHILE at the same time trying to convince people 4 steps behind that there is INDEED a delay.
We can't have a discussion about a delay until people believe it exists. I'm still trying to have discussions with folks about how bad the delay is ....however they still say that there is no delay.....and it happens all of the time.....and nothing is wrong.

For instance: I'm wondering how long it will take to fulfill 400K plus orders. Tesla says they are producing 1K per week. As soon as I mention that its going to take 400 weeks to fulfill all of their orders....people say that I'm being depressing. We can't even have a discussion about the truth because people say that I'm making them sad or depressing them. 400 weeks @1K per week is what Tesla currently quoted. Whereas 200 weeks @ 2k per week is the same thing. I suggest that Tesla has to double their output and folks say that I'm against Tesla or something crazy like that.

Open minded...sure. But not against the truth. The truth always wins. It wins in the stock price etc...... Investors aren't stupid....they want the facts.

If Tesla's production numbers meet their expectations 1K per week on Feb 7th, then the stock price probably won't go anywhere.
However if production numbers exceed expatiations of 1K per week on Feb 7th, the stock price will probably rise.

You said "So you get your VIN much later than on the MS/MX process" I'm trying to find out where you got that info....because some people are getting their VIN numbers the same day and others get theirs almost a month later. That's just the truth. I'm not being depressing or anything. Its the truth. I'm trying to figure out where you saw that statement or if that is a "mac'ism". llol

You might not be depressed but you certainly are ridiculously pessimistic. So Tesla production levels aren't going to rise ? Whatever reason that's keeping production at 1000/wk isn't going to be solved ?
You seem to have no understand of how businesses work. Things are never static. In the cast of Tesla, they're always improving.
After we discussed an S ramp up curve you go ahead and ignore how it works, just because Tesla production isn't improving like you want it to.
Wait another 8 weeks an change and the Q1 2018 delivery numbers will be out. I'm positive you will be impressed if you really think they're not even at 1000 cars/wk right now and aren't going to be at least at 2000 cars/wk at the end of quarter (likely doing an average of 1500 cars/wk over the whole quarter). In fact logic would suggest they likely are at 1100 or 1200 M3s/week already. Just because you don't have clear evidence for it, it is just the natural flow of things. And learn to ignore every bad Tesla news article on the web.
I recall the articles:
People won't buy a model S. They did.
Tesla won't be able to make it. They did.
Tesla won't be able to ramp production. They did.
Tesla won't be able to build them at a profit. Model S is a cash cow right now.
Same for Model X.
Well the Model 3 criticism was different given the yuge number of M3 reservations. The low demand argument was blown out of the water from the get go.
But every other argument is still being player.
Tesla is making Model 3s.
Tesla is ramping up production.
Tesla will achieve its production goals.
Model 3 production will be hugely profitable. They got MS/MX lines to be profitable although they didn't optimize the design for cost at first. Model 3 was designed for ease of production and better profitability in the long run.

So Garlan again, don't be such a downer.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSFTN and EinSV

What you described is what was preported to be happening - build cars not "to order" but assign configured orders to available cars and try to balance output. However, since people are reporting that the are not being Prompted to order (via proactive email) and some stumble upon the configuration page on their own, it's interesting to see this passive mode of trying to make sales happen. Perhaps it works given the amount of reservations on hand. The models of Model 3 that a good amount (majority?) of people want - Performance DWD, cheap $35k short range RWD - are not being offered yet. Option selection seems limited and so pushing out hundreds of cars, then looking at locked-in configurations and routing trucks to those destinations seems appropriate now.

For Garlan, truth actually is beautiful. It's like a woman without makeup on. Or a child's painting that only you can find beauty in. Truth is also boring. Optimism is based on imagination and dream. It's the same optimism you have when your child enters college. Truth is, 50% chance they will drop out within a few years. If people could find truth in actualities, work on them and move forward rather than ignoring problems and just listening to marketing-speak - then things can be more than a circus show for this life. Social Media is causing everything to become either optimism or pessimism. The mind is binary by nature. Fight or flight. Good or bad. The mind doesn't want "boring truth". It wants excitement or to sleep (where you can dream about more excitement).

In terms of Tesla - optimists listened and heard "100,000-200,000 Model 3 in H2 of 2017." They heard "500,000 per year by 2018". They heard lots of things. Reality is that those were said to either cause circus-level excitement and press coverage, maybe promote the stock or financial cash raise activity. What comes out - comes out. 1000/wk of a new vehicle isn't bad at all. Nobody ever goes after the false claims made in the past, they look for the new false claims being made now as the new thing to latch onto. Most business is about getting as close as possible to prior false claims without too much excess costs. Or we can live a life of believing "click-bait" about "this company or that company disrupting this other trillion dollar industry".

Last edited: