Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN... VIN... Where's My VIN...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 reservation RN107339575 made 4/2/2016 and configuration completed and ordered on 1/7/2017 with a "4 week delivery" expectation. No trade, cash deal - "Delivery Profile" completed the same day as the configuration and order deposit made.

Here it is, over 3 weeks later and still no sign of production start or VIN assignment...

This will be my 3rd Tesla and I'm in Virginia.

How's this timeline compare to your experience?

Frustrated - shouldn't be, but I am. If Tesla continues to set unrealistic expectations and fails to meet them with the "general public" vs. the fan boys like me (us) the brand will suffer and that'll be a shame.

Ask how many confirmations were requested of reservation holders per week versus how many they can make within those four weeks. Each confirm gets Tesla $2500 in new cash while locking you into a non refundable contract. It appears to me that they have gone out to confirm, and lock in customers, at a higher rate than they can deliver on. This is good and the only real issue is the bait and switch aspect of the 4-week thing. No way we can know the confirm quantities.

Ask how many confirmations were requested of reservation holders per week versus how many they can make within those four weeks. Each confirm gets Tesla $2500 in new cash while locking you into a non refundable contract. It appears to me that they have gone out to confirm, and lock in customers, at a higher rate than they can deliver on. This is good and the only real issue is the bait and switch aspect of the 4-week thing. No way we can know the confirm quantities.

From the spreadsheet, it looks like average time from configuration to delivery is about three weeks. Model 3 Invites (Overview -- columns CS and CT break it down by state).

So Tesla seems to be delivering most cars well ahead of their four week estimate.

Tesla isn't custom making your car. They are making large batches of cars of each configuration, then matching cars with orders. So you get your VIN much later than on the MS/MX process. When you get your VIN, your car should be ready for delivery within a few days to a week depending on how much transit time it will take.
You probably ordered a configuration that is rarer than usual (probably color), and it might take a little longer until its made.
M3 production priority is to maximize production. Once it gets to 2500/wk and higher, Tesla will be able to cycle through all order types a little faster even with the introduction of the SR battery and AWD.

My Model 3 reservation RN107339575 made 4/2/2016 and configuration completed and ordered on 1/7/2017 with a "4 week delivery" expectation. No trade, cash deal - "Delivery Profile" completed the same day as the configuration and order deposit made.

Here it is, over 3 weeks later and still no sign of production start or VIN assignment...

Frustrated - shouldn't be, but I am. If Tesla continues to set unrealistic expectations and fails to meet them with the "general public" vs. the fan boys like me (us) the brand will suffer and that'll be a shame.

I’m with you man. I confirmed in 1/4 and no VIN. Also in VA. Are you in Richmond? If so I wonder if our store is cursed.

Reactions: mattreidy

Wait, you were given a 4 week window and it's been 3 weeks and you're frustrated? I think we all know that the delivery dates are estimates, not promises, and for the love of God... Tesla is in production hell right now. ;)

Reactions: EinSV
I'm in the same boat of frustration, the ISA based in NV sounds new to this job (obviously) and doesn't give a lot of information. In fact, I wasn't assigned ISA until week 3 then he pretend knew absolutely nothing. There's quite a bit of holding horses going on.

This multiple week wait would definitely be a issue for new Tesla customers. Remember, people often decide and buy vehicles on the same day at dealers out there.

I felt less important Tesla customer compared to people who got their cars last year with Alcantara, or people who had their cars in 8 days after ordering. Mine is about to take 5 weeks after ordering. And I'm in Fremont area. What did I not do right, to not get my 3 delivered sooner?

I'm also sightly concerned about paint and body quality. Our S wasn't perfect and this is back then when they're hand building their vehicle.

Maybe internet is inflated, but I hope Tesla Fremont guys don't rush making 3's without QA. I've read/seen some horrible examples online on 3's body alignment and there's no way I'd accept delivery with cars like that. Production hell does not mean I'd have to suffer any QA hell. It's still my hard earned 50k hell or not.

Reactions: mattreidy
Maybe internet is inflated, but I hope Tesla Fremont guys don't rush making 3's without QA. I've read/seen some horrible examples online on 3's body alignment and there's no way I'd accept delivery with cars like that. Production hell does not mean I'd have to suffer any QA hell. It's still my hard earned 50k hell or not.

Maybe just wait and see instead of worrying about something that hasn't happened.

Reactions: EinSV
From the spreadsheet, it looks like average time from configuration to delivery is about three weeks. Model 3 Invites (Overview -- columns CS and CT break it down by state).

So Tesla seems to be delivering most cars well ahead of their four week estimate.

I guess the answer to the unknown formula will play out in how many report similar things here surpassing the "promise window" (regarding Tesla-time, it can vary widely). What should be done is rolling back of any delivery estimates particulars (people will confirm not caring if it is 4-weeks or 8) - people are also stumbling upon non-emailed confirmation opportunities and who knows, perhaps errantly many thousands were "turned on" for confirmation access without the logistics folks being made aware of it.

I guess the answer to the unknown formula will play out in how many report similar things here surpassing the "promise window" (regarding Tesla-time, it can vary widely). What should be done is rolling back of any delivery estimates particulars (people will confirm not caring if it is 4-weeks or 8) - people are also stumbling upon non-emailed confirmation opportunities and who knows, perhaps errantly many thousands were "turned on" for confirmation access without the logistics folks being made aware of it.

So what you are saying is that your accusation of a "bait and switch" on the four-week delivery dates was false and totally unjustified.

And you still don't acknowledge that for most owners Tesla's configuration to delivery times are ahead of schedule -- by a week on average.

Last edited:
Not enough information to answer that. We have no idea how many were offered 4-week delivery times (as in this thread) without being delivered, how many were offered configure options per-week and the conversion rates. And if there is an active "take down" once a certain number of configures are done per-color combination. If cars are made ahead of time and matched to orders, then it's very much a soup of unknowns. let the thread evolve and see how many more report 4-week promises and actual result times.

Not enough information to answer that. We have no idea how many were offered 4-week delivery times (as in this thread) without being delivered, how many were offered configure options per-week and the conversion rates. And if there is an active "take down" once a certain number of configures are done per-color combination. If cars are made ahead of time and matched to orders, then it's very much a soup of unknowns. let the thread evolve and see how many more report 4-week promises and actual result times.

Sigh.

Here is the data from the portion of the spreadsheet I pointed out above (click overview tab, scroll right to columns CS/CT):

Configuration to Delivery:

State Average time

AL 22.0 days
CA 23.1 days
FL 19.5 days
GA 9.0 days
IA 31.0 days
IL 17.7 days
MD 24.3 days
MI 21.0 days
NJ 19.0 days
NY 18.0 days
OH 19.0 days
VA 20.6 days
WA 15.6 days

Model 3 Invites

Four weeks has been the standard configure to delivery window. Based on the data summarized above, clearly Tesla is well ahead of that four-week window on average. Sure that could change at some point, and there are obviously cases where it took longer than four weeks for owners to receive their cars, but to falsely accuse Tesla of a "bait and switch" on configuration to delivery dates with no data to back it up (and in fact the available data to the contrary) is a bit much.

Last edited: