Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinegar smell from HVAC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DMan

Apr 20, 2016
WA
Hey gang,

I've been reading that some people have been having that delicious smell of vinegar coming from their vents when initially getting into their car and after a few min of driving it seems to go away. Tesla wants to charge me $250 + tax to deodorize the A/C system. Is this the way to go? TIA.

Lots of threads on this, mostly on the 3. I thought a recent firmware update fixed this for most by keeping the HVAC fan going to dry out the system after parking the car.

The treatment is to clean the system (AC condenser) with a foam cleaner. On the 3 it’s semi-easy to get to from the passenger foot well. Not sure on the S or X (maybe needs pulling the frunk?).

Any one have details on access for S and X? Googling should get you the foam cleaner and tons of threads but most are about the 3.

I haven’t tried on the S, but you often get good enough access to clean the condenser (use the spray foam made for this) by removing the cabin air filter. Rig up a long straw (remember combining drinking straws when you were little? It works...)

It’s worth a look - it’s very easy to get to from the frunk.

I followed a video and took out my glove box, but because I have a pre-face lift S there was no air cabin filter (or evap coil) anywhere behind it. I've tried searching but does anyone know where the evap coil on a pre-facelift S is?