Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinegar smell inside in the morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so lately my car smells of vinegar when I get in after parking overnight in my garage. It quickly goes away as I start to drive, and I don't notice it again for a few days. My daughter noticed it too. I generally don't eat in my car, and don't have much stored in the center console other than some hand sanitizer. Could this be a sign of some kind of fluid leak, maybe some battery coolant? Or some glue/solvent venting after 2 years? Nothing else seems to be wrong, no strange noises or excessive battery drain.

OK I'll remove the hand sanitizer for a few days and see if the smell returns. Seems about right timing, as it started a few months ago. I just assumed it would smell more of alcohol than vinegar so didn't think of it. Also I haven't serviced the car at all yet - is the AC desiccant due at 2 years?

I've had the same thing on several occasions. - 2015 P90D. Reported to SC, could find no fault. I am confident it's the AC.

Suggest putting your AC on 'auto' or fresh air occassionally.

I usually leave it on recycled air all the time, after a while the smell returns - so I change to 'fresh air' for a while (a day or so) and then back to recycle. Smell gone for several months again. This will work. Good luck.

so lately my car smells of vinegar when I get in after parking overnight in my garage. It quickly goes away as I start to drive, and I don't notice it again for a few days. My daughter noticed it too. I generally don't eat in my car, and don't have much stored in the center console other than some hand sanitizer. Could this be a sign of some kind of fluid leak, maybe some battery coolant? Or some glue/solvent venting after 2 years? Nothing else seems to be wrong, no strange noises or excessive battery drain.

You're not drinking that cheap wine again, are you?