Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinfast Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new Vinfast showroom recently opened up in San Mateo, in the Bay Area. I went to visit on a Friday evening, and I was able to sit inside their demo vehicle and gather some notes. I will need to take some pictures the next time I'm there. I saw the VF8, which definitely seems to be modeled after the Y. The Vinfast website lists a VF9, which is supposed to be a 3-row SUV.
  • There was just 1 car in the showroom. The salesman there said that it was a prototype, but it already had around 1000 miles on it.
  • The exterior definitely had some panel gap issues, though the salesman said it was because it was just a prototype.
  • The front of the car is quite large -- quite a bit bigger than the Tesla Y I think, and it felt bigger than cars like the ID4.
  • It has a decent sized front trunk. Not as deep as the Tesla Y, but pretty wide. It's more of a reach to access I think, because of the higher front.
  • The hood gives you nice easy access to things like the air filter, washer fluid, and other things you might need to maintain on an EV.
  • The trunk space seems to be shorter than the Y. I think the space is taller, but I'll need to go in with a tape measure to be sure. There was also bottom storage below the trunk space, just like the Y. However, it isn't quite as deep, and it was used to store what might have been a deflated compact spare along with tire inflation kit.
  • The infotainment is also clearly inspired by the Y. There isn't a dash cluster (will need to check for HUD projector next time), there's very few buttons.
  • The gear shifter is just a series of large buttons in the console between the seats. It's a bit of an odd choice.
  • There doesn't seem to be quite as much headroom compared to the Y, especially in the back seat. I didn't have any problems as a 5-foot-11 person, but there isn't as much extra space.
  • Part of the reason is that the car has a large glass roof, but the roof doesn't extend nearly as far to the sides compared to the Y. It cuts off right above your head, so half your head is just under a regular roof, giving you less room. I think it is a mistake in their design.
  • The backseat itself is very deep and pretty tall. I think tall people will be able to have their thighs fully supported and comfortable.
  • For some reason, the rear seat floor isn't flat, and there's a big hump in the middle like a transmission tunnel. It reminded me of the Polestar 2's backseat. The salesman said it was for ventilating the battery. I have no idea if it's true, but it's still a negative.
  • The interior quality itself feels pretty good, but nothing too special either.
  • The car is going to have a battery subscription model that you *must* subscribe to. This might drive off lot of potential buyers. However, I can see it working out if they price the car much lower and market the subscription the right way. The service will replace your battery any time it drops below 70% capacity, which removes the worry about the battery needing replacement out of warranty.
All in all, I don't think I'd get the car -- there's way too much competition at the moment in this space, and I don't really trust a totally new car from a country that doesn't have any history of cars in the US.

Reactions: mm9351
...a prototype, but it already had around 1000 miles on it...
Is that too few or too many miles?

What should a prototype's odometer be?

...a totally new car from a country that doesn't have any history of cars in the US...
Both the battery plant and EV production will be from Chatham County, North Carolina in 2024.

Reactions: X Fan
Neither. I thought it was just an interesting tidbit.

Deliveries are scheduled to start later this year, so at least the first batch of cars won't be made in the US.
For a prototype, I would expect many miles of testing like the current Cybertruck and Tesla Semi.

Thanks for reminding me of 2022 delivery date. They talked about ADAS L2+ with LIDAR but I'll be surprised if that's ready for this year.

The name screams like a mismatch of Vin Diesel and Fast and Furious.. My brain just can't filter that out. That said, when I looked them up, saw the prices and so on, I'm skeptical.. (then there's the I don't buy v0 of anything). So we'll have to see how things shake out with them. I waited several years before I got my Leaf(s), and then before I decided to even entertain an M3.

The name screams like a mismatch of Vin Diesel and Fast and Furious.. My brain just can't filter that out. That said, when I looked them up, saw the prices and so on, I'm skeptical.. (then there's the I don't buy v0 of anything). So we'll have to see how things shake out with them. I waited several years before I got my Leaf(s), and then before I decided to even entertain an M3.
I agree about the Vinfast name. To me it sounds like "Get your VIN fast!!!" (as in Vehicle Identification Number) which just sounds sleazy and cheap. It's a terrible name. Hopefully there's some better meaning behind it.

When you consider VF8 pricing, remember that it doesn't include the HVB, you must rent that. Which makes for an interesting alternative since you'll never end up in a situation where you have to pay a huge chunk up front for a new/refurb HVB. E.g. if my 2013 S P85 HVB were to fail right now it would effectively total the car since even a refurb from Tesla costs almost as much as the whole car is worth (with working HVB) - might make more sense to part the car out.

I came across a Vinfast showroom as I was walking the other day, so I sat in a VF8 prototype and let the salesperson pester me about it. Vinfast sales was much more aggressive than Tesla or Polestar or Rivian, in my experience. I did not like that. Felt closer to traditional dealership sales pressure. In this case they really wanted order deposits. (Also I can't help remembering when these forums got subtly invaded with Vinfast promoting spammer accounts...)

The VF8 itself was fine. It's not a kind of vehicle I get excited about, so keep that in mind if I sound too "meh." For a prototype it looked quite well assembled. Styling is pretty decent to my eyes. Materials quality inside was alright, not bad, but nothing to write home about. Packaging seemed...okay. Not the greatest. I recall the Model Y having better packaging, with better back seat height and bigger frunk despite smaller under-the-hood area. Maybe more cargo space behind the back seats too in the Y (not 100% sure on that). The back seat felt kind of dark vs the Y, though I was sitting in the VF8 inside a showroom so not entirely a fair comparison.

Somehow the VF8 looks heavy, and I bet it is. The performance number the sales rep quoted was 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Which is plenty quick for this sort of car, but not as quick as MYLR, and from our test drives last fall I can tell you the VF8 wouldn't be quick enough my wife. She doesn't want to downgrade in speed compared to our S P85. She said MYLR was quick enough, but anything slower wasn't.

They were quoting $100/month for the smaller battery pack. If we were to buy a VF8 (we're not going to, but just pretending), we'd need the larger pack for our driving, but they weren't quoting a price for it yet. Besides the interesting proposition of renting the HVB instead of buying, there wasn't anything else that really drew me into the car. It seemed...fine, as a family CUV. That said I care a lot about how a car feels to drive, and obviously I can't tell that from sitting in one in a showroom. Maybe the VF8 will make a stronger case for itself with a test drive.

...since you'll never end up in a situation where you have to pay a huge chunk up front for a new/refurb HVB...

Tesla used to have 8-year infinite mile battery warranty for early cars.

VinFast battery subscription is great for those who want to pay a monthly price for infinite mile battery warranty. Those who benefits most would be commercial fleets like "Tesloop" that would run out of current Tesla battery warranty in less than a year. It logged 17,000 miles per month or more than 200,000 miles per year.

Last edited:
Tesla used to have 8-year infinite mile battery warranty for early cars.

VinFast battery subscription is great for those who want to pay a monthly price for infinite mile battery warranty. Those who benefits most would be commercial fleets like "Tesloop" that would run out of current Tesla battery warranty in less than a year. It logged 17,000 miles per month or more than 200,000 miles per year.
@Tam Yup, we're well past that 8 year mark on our Model S P85 now. Had one HVB replacement under warranty at about the 7 year mark (with a same-generation, like-condition refurb). Feels like almost everything has been replaced over the years on that early beta car. ;) Most things while it was under warranty (we did get the extended full coverage warranty), though we're $4k-$5k into post warranty repairs on it already.

It's still a great family car, smooth and fast and highly practical, but it is getting up there in years and miles.

Our Model 3 Performance has a much shorter warranty and no option from Tesla to extend. Vinfast's proposal of renting the HVB and therefore never worrying about out-of-warranty replacement cost has real appeal to me, depending on how the exact numbers work out. Which as mentioned are TBD for the larger battery that we'd need.

We are planning to replace our Model S within the next few years, however the VF8 isn't the car for us. From a practical perspective the VF8 should work as a Model S replacement, but emotionally no, it's not appealing enough. It doesn't offer any significant upgrades for us, besides being new, and would actually be a downgrade in several ways (acceleration, charging network, frunk, and likely the driving experience).

Last edited:
Yeah, for the price and ineligible for the Federal tax credit since it's not assembled in North America? Battery seems porky too for that range. 82 kWh?
@cwerdna Right? Even for a SUV/CUV that's pretty terrible. I'm sure there is a lot of room left to optimize its software and hardware even without major design changes, but this speaks volumes to how unfinished and unready the VF8 is.

MYLR goes so much farther on that same 82 kWh. I don't expect Tesla level efficiency right off the bat, most automakers new or established haven't matched that in their first long range EV's, but I expect a lot better than this. @Apprunner's DOA comment is right.

Someone at Vinfast insisted they hit their self-imposed launch deadline no matter what. Product/spec exceptions needed? Exceptions granted. All of them. Wrong decision. This will backfire.

Noticed VinFast Events was in my email for Official Auto Car Ride & Drive Events: 03-07-2006. They are in Alameda, CA for several days, last day being today (1/22/23). If I select that day, it seems they still have plenty of time slots left (16 of them). I don't plan on going since it's about a 60 mile drive for me.

From the address, I'm guessing they're using the former navy base.

Last edited: