Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VINs and Build date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
I belive that VIN # are randomised so that it is difficult to work out how many cars have been shipped...

Mod comment; this post and the next few were moved into this thread so may appear out of context or a strange way to start, it's not Kelvin thats caused that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies if this has been covered before but do the cars get shipped according to VIN #. I recently got my VIN but it appears to be an earlier VIN to most that have been released in the last few weeks. I’m wondering if that means it’s on an earlier ship like Summit or Europe. VIN is 9PC543 and it has USS.
I belive that VIN # are randomised so that it is difficult to work out how many cars have been shipped...
This isn't the ideal thread to discuss VINs however Shanghai are producing VINs in batches or blocks, that may not be sequential to adjacent production, if that makes sense! The VINs are not randomised like Apple serial numbers however they are certainly no longer sequential. You can get a rough idea of when a car was produced but you can no longer give it a precise date. I'm not tracking VINs and to determine what shipment batch you car is in there are threads and spreadsheets elsewhere on the forum.

Reactions: CAMYBL
This isn't the ideal thread to discuss VINs however Shanghai are producing VINs in batches or blocks, that may not be sequential to adjacent production, if that makes sense! The VINs are not randomised like Apple serial numbers however they are certainly no longer sequential. You can get a rough idea of when a car was produced but you can no longer give it a precise date. I'm not tracking VINs and to determine what shipment batch you car is in there are threads and spreadsheets elsewhere on the forum.
Thanks as always Mr M

Slightly off topic but maybe relevant to the Randomised Vin build topic - I get the Australia push notifications as well as the UK ones, and one advantage of them over looking at Teslas website is you can see the build date. I've noticed Australia had a "2022 M3P" built on 16 Oct, whereas the UK have a "2023 M3 RWD" built on 8th Oct, both built in the same factory. The spec differences are the Aus car has USS and the UK doesn't. So we have 2022 spec cars being built after 2023 spec cars, so the year appears to be linked to a kind of model year, and not all 2023 cars are built after 2022 cars, If that was what we thought was dictating order of build then it doesn't seem to hold true. The same website has a vin / build date graph and it's pretty consistent since 2020 with cars being built in VIN order, or at least it's nothing like it used to be back in the early freemont days. There is the odd outlier, but not many. That said, the data is more scarce in recent months as I presume it takes times for VINs to get picked up. There;s a similar pattern for the MY.

If we want to discuss this further then I'm happy to break it out into it's own thread, but I wonder if the year in the VIN has confused people regarding when cars were built,. when its more a reflection of spec and whether the car has USS.

Untitled.jpg

Might be a stupid question, but when are the VINs alocated? when they start manufactering the actual vehicle or when its being loaded in to the ships?
The reaosn im asking, i had an EDD of 29nov-22dec which was moved to 5th of Jan to March and now all it says it is Jan-March.
It really is frustrating....
Technically vin is allocated to a car at production but the allocation of that vin is then allocated to customer order somewhere about Singapore ie when they are convinced car is on ship.it could be damaged whilst loading and removed from shipment to be repaired or occasionally there is not physically room on ship.I have seen 50 cars which because of other cargo ie cranes jcb etc taking more space on last deck were not loaded

Slightly off topic but maybe relevant to the Randomised Vin build topic - I get the Australia push notifications as well as the UK ones, and one advantage of them over looking at Teslas website is you can see the build date. I've noticed Australia had a "2022 M3P" built on 16 Oct, whereas the UK have a "2023 M3 RWD" built on 8th Oct, both built in the same factory. The spec differences are the Aus car has USS and the UK doesn't. So we have 2022 spec cars being built after 2023 spec cars, so the year appears to be linked to a kind of model year, and not all 2023 cars are built after 2022 cars, If that was what we thought was dictating order of build then it doesn't seem to hold true. The same website has a vin / build date graph and it's pretty consistent since 2020 with cars being built in VIN order, or at least it's nothing like it used to be back in the early freemont days. There is the odd outlier, but not many. That said, the data is more scarce in recent months as I presume it takes times for VINs to get picked up. There;s a similar pattern for the MY.

If we want to discuss this further then I'm happy to break it out into it's own thread, but I wonder if the year in the VIN has confused people regarding when cars were built,. when its more a reflection of spec and whether the car has USS.
I think it would be great to open this as a rolling topic, especially as deliveries start for Q4.

As we know, Australia was excluded from the USS removal, so does this mean they're still on the 2022 year entirely? It's looking very clear some UK cars have USS on 2023 vins in a tight vin range (54XXXX) from observations on this forum.

Breaking out a topic from the shipping thread to talk about build dates and vin numbers.

A few posts will be moved into the thread which will have appeared above this post, but the reason why it might be interesting is "2023" cars have been spotted with early build dates than some "2022" cars. The year in the vin increasingly looks like a model year change and Tesla are not swtiching production to the new model year consistently, is 2022 and 2023 cars appear to being built almost alongside each other.

The main change spotted so far regarding the differences is the lack of USS on 2023 cars, there may be other changes.

Feel free to add details on your vins, whether you've been asked to accept no USS on your car and we'll see if we can gain some useful insight.

My hidden VIn is LRWYHCEK3PC552xxx appeared 11th november. No USS messages (yet) and Tesla chat told me it does NOT have USS.

No delivery date yet. EDD currently November 25 to December 10.
Received the delivery date being calculated text on Monday 14th.

Last edited:
VIN: LRW3F7FS4PC675XXX
Ordered through lease company so couldn't check for hidden VIN but received it from lease company on 7/11/22. Tesla text on 9/11/22 to confirm delivery date of 7/12/22. Nothing regarding USS but I believe my VIN indicates 2023 model so would assume no USS?

Hopefully this helps!

Ordered through lease company so couldn't check for hidden VIN but received it from lease company on 7/11/22. Tesla text on 9/11/22 to confirm delivery date of 7/12/22. Nothing regarding USS but I believe my VIN indicates 2023 model so would assume no USS?

Hopefully this helps!
Interesting, my delivery date is a couple of days after yours but no text yet, fingers crossed I get one soon.

Interesting, my delivery date is a couple of days after yours but no text yet, fingers crossed I get one soon.
If you're as impatient as I was, open up a live chat with Tesla and ask if they've got any further information, that's where I got my first sniff of information! Go on to the Tesla website as if you’re going to order a new car and as you’re clicking through options the little chat icon pops up in the bottom corner.

If you're as impatient as I was, open up a live chat with Tesla and ask if they've got any further information, that's where I got my first sniff of information! Go on to the Tesla website as if you’re going to order a new car and as you’re clicking through options the little chat icon pops up in the bottom corner.
I was doing that every day for a week, after the last chat where they game me the date i thought I'd give them a few days off :)

• Funny
Reactions: Rhysft
MYLR LRWYHCEK6PC56xxxx what does this indicate? Collection 2nd Dec at Bluewater.
The PC near the end indicate (model) year and factory - P=2023 which seems to mean no parking sensors and C= China which you probably knew, but might be useful when we’re looking at Berlin etc.

The 56xxxx is a sequence number which is where there’s a bit of debate over whether these are built sequentially. The chart further up tbt thread is for the M3 but you can see that 6 digit number on the left and time across the bottom, it’s just not very filled in for recent builds, but when you look back over time, it’s been fairly linear.

The letters at the beginning largely just confirm it’s a MY, AWD etc.

Hopefully this helps!
exact same VIN as your except mines a 676XXX collection on 7/12.......I've been told via text when i asked the Q........no USS

Did you have to sign the agareement about USS? I wonder if our cars are in the UK or on a ship. Are you bluewater too? I'm worried they may pull the car and assign to someone else!
signed nothing, there wasn't even a discussion about USS, i was just told 🙃 . I think I'm on RCC Europe tbh, pick up from Trafford Centre. I tried for an earlier date but they told me I had the first appointment available as they wont receive the car until 6th. I've since text them for an earlier appointment seeing as RCC Europe is making speedboat progress, but no reply so far

signed nothing, there wasn't even a discussion about USS, i was just told 🙃 . I think I'm on RCC Europe tbh, pick up from Trafford Centre. I tried for an earlier date but they told me I had the first appointment available as they wont receive the car until 6th. I've since text them for an earlier appointment seeing as RCC Europe is making speedboat progress, but no reply so far
Does seem like your collection is quite a bit after the scheduled arrival of RCC EUROPE... wait and see I suppose!

Reactions: dajw2793

Does seem like your collection is quite a bit after the scheduled arrival of RCC EUROPE... wait and see I suppose!
How do I know what ship mine is on LRWYHCEK6PC56xxxx or is it a guessing game? 2nd Dec collection.