Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl license plate sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@kpalaniswami & @Lloyd : It's not the legality of use of the vinyl sticker/ getting tickets from the police that I am trying to deal with..... parking cops / meter maids are notorious for giving tickets for a missing license plate.... especially in San Francisco..... I am looking at buying a no screw setup from @kpalaniswami as well, but would like to explore the feasibility of the vinyl sticker plate... hence the inquiry....

Reactions: Kacey Green
Just take your license plate to a sign shop and have them scan and print it.. They should be able to do it for much less than that. I'm fortunate to have a good friend in the business. By the way, it is not legal here in Hawaii and I would guess the same goes for most states.

My S had a smaller vinyl sticker because the full size does not fit without going over the chrome trim below the T logo. I was pulled over at a DUI checkpoint and when the cop saw it, he demanded that I remove it or else he'll give me a ticket. I took it off and so I was legal now ??Been driving without a front license plate since.

https://i.imgur.com/L3W9h0N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/L3W9h0N.jpg

I read somewhere vinyl stickers are illegal in USA for this purpose.
i read even going a few miles per hr over the speed limit is illegal .... & i read entering the country illegally is illegal too, and i read too dark a window tint on side windows up front is illegal in many instances
etc
pick your poison
;)

So. ..... how do you like my totally illegal, color laser compatible, vinyl, non_photochemically reactive, stick-on, homemade, front license plate. ...
:D
20180320_140149-1.jpg

20180320_140212-1.jpg

Yea, the guy who makes these up in Canada with shipping wants a $100. No way I'd pay that much if I could do it myself for under $5. And it was fun, too.
Maybe on the next iteration, I'll print one with a nice Tesla frame.
;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Read it where? That does not make sense that it would be that severe.

It’s been discussed on other forums before. I think even Matt Farrah had a vinyl plate on his Focus RS front bumper that he removed for the same reasons.

The closest example I can find (which is kind of an extreme example) is this

Woman Arrested After Driving Car With Cardboard License Plate

So yeah, they weren’t a copy of her actual plates... but it is still considered “possession of forged instrument” which even if everything else was fine is considered a felony.

I’m sure there are legal experts on the forum that may have time to chime in on this.

Maybe it needs to be both a forgery of the original plate & attempt to lie to the officer for that to stick? Hmmm thinking about it more... maybe my attempts to not even have a front plate by keeping the temp registration on the windshield is a similar offense?!?!

But srsly I’d like to hear a legal experts opinion on this? If it is no worse than a fix it ticket... then I’m ordering one

Had to search deep for an explanation of the law... but yes this law apparently applies to license plates as well in california. So a vinyl sticker plate can be considered fraudulant or a forgery according to CA Vehicle Code 4463.

CA Vehicle Code 4463 VC: Forgery or Falsification of Car Registration

So I know either way as enthusiast we would rather have no plate...

So what is a lesser offense? Not having a front plate? Or using a vinyl sticker?

I have a flip down hide away plate on my wife’s car. I was able to position the bracket so it flips down into the bumper where the radiator/ intercooler sits. She’s gotten pulled over a few times for it and she just starts crying “says my husband brought it to a car show and forgot to put it back up” then she shows the cop that te plate is there and puts it back up (I know I cheaped out and got the non motorized version)... and 100% of the time the cop says wow thats neat and lets her go.

I’d get the same for the Model 3 but the only spot it would fit is under the bumper where things can catch it and break it off.

I’m curious if using a tow hook mount will affect any of the sensors... if not that would be the best way... then install if you know you are going anywhere you will get pulled over for it... mainly airport or toll roads.

Reactions: Kacey Green
My only reason for having the vinyl sticker in the front would be so that I don't incur the wrath of the meter maid/man. In San Francisco, they are notorious for giving you a ticket for a missing front license plate. With all other Police departments, all they will give you in California is a 'fix-it' ticket for $25 if they pull you over for ANY reason. My X is 4 months old at this time with almost 12000 miles on it and I don't even have a rear license plate!!