Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl over or under PPF with ceramic coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some thoughts on wrapping my Model 3.

I've got an all black model 3 and saw a Model S online that had red vinyl accent lines on it. It looks pretty good and I thought about doing some similar to mine. I also plan to wrap the car in PPF and then get it ceramic coated, but should I apply the vinyl accents and then PPF and ceric, or PPF and then vinyl then ceramic?

Also feel free to let me know what you think about the design! Too much, not enough, just right?

My inspiration:
grqknqj

My design idea (pardon MS Paint quality/colors):

Before
PQKqN4C

After
6BD6x9n

After

I'm not sure the benefit not doing a ceramic coating on top PPF.

I would put the PPF ontop the vinyl, it will protect the vinyl and your paint, as well as cover the vinyl seams/edges which will help deter any lifting.

The reason I want to put on PPF is for better ding/chip protection, not so much for putting the vinyl per se. The ceramic coat I got was a good deal and will make washing the car a bit easier over time.

Side note: what do you think of the red on black idea? Is it too much or unique enough without being extreme?

The reason I want to put on PPF is for better ding/chip protection, not so much for putting the vinyl per se. The ceramic coat I got was a good deal and will make washing the car a bit easier over time.

Side note: what do you think of the red on black idea? Is it too much or unique enough without being extreme?

i wouldn't do it myself, but it's your car... and since it's vinyl, completely reversible. do what makes you happy.

I saw a Midnight Silver with accents in almost the same spots but in black and looked very nice and subtle. I wouldn't go with red personally but if you like it then who cares. If you put the vinyl over PPF then you can remove or change colors anytime. Putting it under would be a bit more permanent and also won't accidentally come off during a wash.

I have a partial PPF...your plan sounds well north of $10k, maybe closer to $15k

Personally, I probably wouldn’t do something like that to my car for free. I can’t imagine spending that coin on it.

Batman always was one of my favorite heroes and my wife wanted me to call it the Batmobile, so I'm not offended one bit. We were also thinking about calling it The Black Widow.

I saw a Midnight Silver with accents in almost the same spots but in black and looked very nice and subtle. I wouldn't go with red personally but if you like it then who cares. If you put the vinyl over PPF then you can remove or change colors anytime. Putting it under would be a bit more permanent and also won't accidentally come off during a wash.

How do you like having a partial PPF? Does it seem like it's peeling up at all on the edges? I've been torn on the idea of partial vs full wrap.

How do you like having a partial PPF? Does it seem like it's peeling up at all on the edges? I've been torn on the idea of partial vs full wrap.

I don't have PPF. My thoughts were for the price of full PPF, I could get it wrapped in vinyl almost twice. So if the paint does get that bad in a few years I'll just vinyl wrap it then. So far in 8 months I've had no issues at all with my paint.

I don't have PPF. My thoughts were for the price of full PPF, I could get it wrapped in vinyl almost twice. So if the paint does get that bad in a few years I'll just vinyl wrap it then. So far in 8 months I've had no issues at all with my paint.

Well after a lot of discussion and color searching, you convinced me! My wife has been trying to have me wrap the whole car instead of PPF and that's what I'm going to do.

Now to decide on a color... I'm thinking one of these maybe?

2017 VViViD+ Matte Metallic Blue (Ghost)

2018 VVIVID+ Voltage Blue Gloss

Avery SW900-676-D Gloss Blue Diamond automotive vinyl film is an ultra metallic car vinyl wrap.

Thoughts or other color suggestions are welcome!

Also, would you still recommend partial or full front PPF on top of the vinyl for rock chip protection or would ceramic coating typically be sufficient?

179C4F67-6874-4A75-A652-E9908F96C1BB.jpeg
I wrapped my black 3 in Avery white diamond and love it. No ppf on top of vinyl and the front bumper have been doing well against rock chips.
Here’s another color suggestion Avery SC950 Electric Blue Metallic, very similar to hyper blue metallic on camaro 6.

I’m thinking of doing cquartz ceramic coating myself.
Going to remove the wrap on roof pillar and chrome delete. Will post picture later.
In 3 years I’ll change to burgundy maybe

View attachment 423539 I wrapped my black 3 in Avery white diamond and love it. No ppf on top of vinyl and the front bumper have been doing well against rock chips.
Here’s another color suggestion Avery SC950 Electric Blue Metallic, very similar to hyper blue metallic on camaro 6.

I’m thinking of doing cquartz ceramic coating myself.
Going to remove the wrap on roof pillar and chrome delete. Will post picture later.
In 3 years I’ll change to burgundy maybe
Wow that looks great!! And thanks for the suggestion I'll check out electric blue as well.

Did you wrap the car yourself or get it done? How was it wrapping yourself if so, any odd challenges?

B05A92E4-7198-4509-8CEF-4906B1C65267.jpeg
I have a shop in Denver wrapped it. The corners at the bottom bumper come undone sometimes (seen in picture) so I’ve gone back to get those small details fixed.
Dirts cling to the wrap much stronger than on paint so automatic touchless can’t clean them completely off. So the vinyl needs ceramic coating or hand wash otherwise running car through car wash won’t clean much.

Reactions: ICON