Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl wrap body colored roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Black will absorb more solar radiation than white (or lighter colors) which tend to reflect more heat away.

This is true. However, from what I remember of a couple of studies (I think there were discussed on these forums long ago) when the dark color is on the exterior, the main result was that the interior of the car heated up faster - but it didn't really get any warmer inside. Whether or not this matters when you return to the car depends on how long you leave the car parked outside. It can also mean a little less load on the AC while you are driving in the sun.

On the other hand, a darker interior would get hotter than a lighter interior. In gas cars, I suspect you can always save some energy by going with lighter colors, inside and out.

The calculus is a little more complicated with EVs though. EVs don't have waste heat from the engine to heat the cabin, so cold weather heat sucks more energy than warm weather AC does. Going with darker colors might reduce your overall energy HVAC budget. Of course, it still depends on where you live - in Phoenix, I'd get a light EV. But where I am (Seattle), I think a darker EV makes more sense. We have a dark burgundy Model S with a black interior.

Of course, there are other factors, like safety - I have a light bright color on my Roadster because it's so much smaller than the Model S, despite having considered the energy implications before I purchased the car. But hey, I'm already kind of off topic so I won't head down there.

lolgas, I think your black top looks great.

Black will absorb more solar radiation than white (or lighter colors) which tend to reflect more heat away. When I was a kid living in South Florida back in the early 60's, almost every car on the road was white for this reason. I can remember seeing mall parking lots full of white cars, and people used to put goofy ornaments on their aerials just so they could find their car in a sea of white. I don't think white cars for this reason are quite so prevalent today with better and more ubiquitous auto air conditioning, but at the end of the day, energy is energy.

Nope. No difference in interior temperature. And even if it did then so what i'll suck it up! :biggrin:

Happy with the results!

5a6fd3de5a648bb048008b8b9a4baff1.jpg

lovely :wink:

I just had this done last week, except with XPEL (painted black) instead of vinyl. The shop I went with showed me both options and I went for the XPEL (at double the price though). Love the result --feels like a different car!

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/741/Vlsm2N.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/2715/E3ABTJ.jpg

That looks great! Do you have pics outside from farther away? The shop I might do my xpel and opticoat also mentioned the xpel option for the roof. Where did you have yours done?

Haven't had a chance to take more pics yet. I'm in Southern CA so that probably won't help you, but it was done at Ultimate Shield in Orange. The Xpel should last longer than the vinyl, and I preferred the appearance when looking at both options side by side. You'll want to make sure the installer can wrap the edges completely so that none of the underneath paint shows through. I had clear Xpel previously applied on the roof and that had to be removed to get a good wrap with the black Xpel, but I do love the end result.

Reactions: 1tsla