Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl Wrap - How to manage sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I realize there's a few threads on this already, but hoping to get some more up-to-date opinions.

My car is currently in the shop finishing up a vinyl wrap + ceramic coat. I was notified last week however that because the rubber grommets housing the ultrasonic sensors on the bumpers are paint-matched, they would like to acquire a new set of grommets to better match the wrap (current color is white, wrap is a darker tone so black would be preferable).

Trouble is, according to Tesla the grommets can't be ordered separately from the sensors, and at $85/sensor I'm looking at over $1k for this.

I know some people have just fully wrapped over the sensors altogether, but that seems ill-advised? On the other hand, Tesla themselves are saying not to wrap the sensors at all (e.g. leave them stock color and mismatched to the wrap).

At this point I'm looking at almost a month since taking delivery before I'm even going to be able to drive this car, and with cooler temperatures on the way I'd rather get it back in my garage sooner rather than later. Is it worth going through the headache of ordering new sensors/grommets, or should I just have them wrap the entire thing and call it a day?

Hi all,

I realize there's a few threads on this already, but hoping to get some more up-to-date opinions.

My car is currently in the shop finishing up a vinyl wrap + ceramic coat. I was notified last week however that because the rubber grommets housing the ultrasonic sensors on the bumpers are paint-matched, they would like to acquire a new set of grommets to better match the wrap (current color is white, wrap is a darker tone so black would be preferable).

Trouble is, according to Tesla the grommets can't be ordered separately from the sensors, and at $85/sensor I'm looking at over $1k for this.

I know some people have just fully wrapped over the sensors altogether, but that seems ill-advised? On the other hand, Tesla themselves are saying not to wrap the sensors at all (e.g. leave them stock color and mismatched to the wrap).

At this point I'm looking at almost a month since taking delivery before I'm even going to be able to drive this car, and with cooler temperatures on the way I'd rather get it back in my garage sooner rather than later. Is it worth going through the headache of ordering new sensors/grommets, or should I just have them wrap the entire thing and call it a day?

Mine are wrapped in Xpel stealth to match the rest of the car, and I've had zero issues whatsoever.

Hi all,

Hi all,

Curious what you ended up doing. Did you find a solution other than buying new sensors. I have the same exact issue...wrapped the car black but the rubber grommets are white in the bumpers.

I wrapped my 2019 TM3 with an Avery Dennison sky blue vinyl wrap. It made ghost braking a lot worse, and autopark never worked (literally never parked correct). After 7 SC visits I was told everything was OK with the car, and the wrap was the issue.

I think if you chose a certified PPF installer you can forget about such problems as interference with sensors. I have XPEL and if something is wrong, the installer will fix any issues. So far (14 months) no issues.