TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vinyl Wrap

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Jackyche, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Just to throw this out there. My 1.5 is silver. Its nice silver, but so very bland.

So I was thinking about one of those vinyl full body wraps. Upside is that its reversible and reasonable pricing.

However, the colors are all matte. Which can either stand out like a sore thumb or stand out like the coolest thing ever.

So .... What are you guys thought on it? Sore thumb?

Jack

2. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Mine is being wrapped next Monday. Quoted anywhere from $3,500 and $4,100.

In cherry red; close to Sig Red. Nothing matte about it. What samples have you been shown. What brand?

3. 7racer

7racer Member

I think matte colors can look great. I had my GT-R as a matte black and now it's a matte silver. There is a Lambo color that is stock matte as well as the BMW M3 that comes with a stock matte color. With that being said, the vinyl tech has expanded greatly, you can now get metallic, shiny etc wraps so you don't have to settle with matte if you don't want to.

4. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

I assume you're getting it for your S and not a Roadster. Could you take pictures? I was told the glossy wraps doesn't look very good because it doesn't have the depth of color.

Your price quote is inline with what I've been told. $3000-4000. But mine is a considerably smaller car is its indeed its your S getting the wrap.

Jack

5. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Yes, my S is being wrapped (per my signature!)

What are you talking about getting wrapped?

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

This is the roadster forum! :wink:

7. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Just realised that BUT ... the question started out generic. And I saw it under New stuff which hardly make it easy to see what forum subgroup it is.
    So very sowwwwwy :)

8. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Mine is wrapped and I love it. I get a huge number of positive comments.

roadster at shop.jpg

9. gray

gray Member

I noticed you're in the Chicagoland area - where are you getting yours wrapped?

10. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

That's a sick wrap Andrew. Love it.

I just spoke to my guy, Metropolitan Detail in Bellevue. Off topic, there was like 6 Model S's in their parking lot, apparently they handle the clear bras for Tesla here in Seattle.

Anyways, the guy said to me here in Northwest, the matte colors don't do well because dirt and grime gets on it and its very difficult to maintain and ends up looking terrible. So I'd have to go with a glossy color. Now, at first, I was told glossy colors don't do well (by another detailing shop) but he insisted glossy is the way to go here.

So I'm researching different color schemes/accents now.

11. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Early next week or as soon as film has arrived (not yet chosen, but probably will tomorrow.)
    Have we met? Are you a member of TOI below?

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@Andrew - What color is hiding under the wrap?

13. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

3M I believe it is has an excellent Orange I was thinking of wrapping a Roadster in. My preference is to just buy Orange in the first place of course.

But I have no experience with the vinyl wraps - how do they stand up after a few years? Can they be removed later in a reasonably easy fashion without damaging the original finish? (Or once wrapped - always wrapped!?!)

I'd love to hear about the experiences people have had.

14. 7racer

7racer Member

yes, the newer films are designed to be remove without residue. Even if there is some, a light wash, claybar and polish is all you need to get a car back to original. If you ever seen someone remove a clear bra that is what it is usually like.

My wrap guy states that all of the newer wraps have such a nice adhesive that doesn't leave any residue at all and is easy to remove.

Depending on how you drive the wrap can last 3-7 years. My GT-R is going on 3 and looks great. Like normal, the front will take the brunt of rock chips etc...the vinyl does a great job of deflecting most but sometimes you get a little defect in it. The nice part is there isn't any paint matching. Just have them peel off the wrap from the nose, then replace.

15. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

I have to suggest concern with this ... the place that is wrapping my (S), I have asked them to order more film than needed so I have the same die lot. Then, if someone were to key me or I got in an accident, they could replace the panel with film from the same die lot (like carpet in a house). Admittedly, the additional film would not be exposed to UV light ... while my car would be?

16. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

Andrew, where did you get your's wrapped? I am looking to get my hood vents and spoiler wrapped.

17. gray

gray Member

I doubt we've met (I've never heard of TOI until recently).

Fall-line motorsports in Buffalo Grove has a number of fantastically beautifully wrapped cars (M3 GTR!) that they had done at Graphic Zone in Roselle, IL.

18. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Another question about wraps (and here, I am specifically thinking of wraps as paint replacement, rather than the advertising wraps) - any impact plus or minus on resale value of the car that you've seen? I don't think this is going to sway me one way or the other regarding what I buy, but it might sway me one way or the other as far as actually changing the color :)

Separate question - anybody get a car wrapped in the Portland, OR area and have somebody they would recommend to do the work? Or am I making the trip to Bellevue :D

19. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Just my personal preference as I only purchase used cars. If there was a car I was interested in buying, the existence of a wrap would severely negatively impact my purchase decision just because I have no idea what the condition of the paint is under the wrap.

So, personally, undoubted, I would ask the seller to remove the wrap first prior to finalizing the purchase. As a seller, I would remove the wrap first just to show I'm not hiding anything.

That's why I asked the installer regarding the impact of removing the wrap. He said if it had original factory paint, wouldn't be an issue. If it had been repainted before (whole or spot), there's a decent chance a chunk of paint would come off with it.

I still am interested in a wrap as a color change, if nothing else, for the fun of it. Just have to convince the significant other.

20. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Electric blue. This picture is a little old. The car now has 2.0 seats and door panels in black/yellow; 2.5 black forged wheels, and the double-din dash.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't. Previous owner in Baton Rouge did.