Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Violent vibration from steering wheel even when stationary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
2015 P85D

Driving at around 70mph on the motorway yesterday and instant massive vibration felt through steering wheel, managed to pull over and even when stopped the vibration was still present. It would stop when I left the drivers seat and returned as soon as I pressed the brake pedal.

I removed the steering motor from the rack and can see it going crazy with small back and forth motions which is causing the vibrations, the assisted steering is still working although feels very unsettling and I really can't drive the car safely.

After investigation online, I found the Range Rover Evoque uses the exact same system, which I also happen to own. I have found a few forum posts about the Evoque having the same issue and this turned out to be the Lane departure warning firing constantly which vibrates the steering wheel to warn you, the threads seem to end with a full rack replacement due to warranty.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before, I'm trying to work out if I should try to find a replacement angle sensor first or replace the motor, then the whole rack if I have to. IMO, the motor control module (which is part of the motor) is faulty and enabling the lane departure vibration all the time hopefully it's not the car telling it to enable it.

I didn't have Lane departure enabled anyway in settings.
Tesla SC is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks,

Video attached to show how violent this is:

Sounds like a ADAS sensor is out of calibration, likely the steering angle sensor. Your video seems to indicate a warning is being recorded, as a beep is heard. See if you can see the error by pressing the ! at the top of the center screen. I see from the video that the error is also displayed in the center bottom of the driver's display. What is the error?

Sounds like a ADAS sensor is out of calibration, likely the steering angle sensor. Your video seems to indicate a warning is being recorded, as a beep is heard. See if you can see the error by pressing the ! at the top of the center screen. I see from the video that the error is also displayed in the center bottom of the driver's display. What is the error?
Hi Dave,
I have Epas_w002 which is a pretty generic , "somethings wrong with your steering" code unfortunately.
Nothing else relating to ADAS.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Hi All,
Update to my crazy steering vibration, I ordered a used full rack (£460) as I couldn't find a steering motor being sold with matching part number. The rack matched exactly to my original.
I removed the motor from the 'new' rack and bolted to the original (keeping tension as I did), success, no more vibration and nice smooth power steering again.
So it was a faulty motor and as others have said, no coding needed.

Thanks again for help and hopefully this will help someone out in future.

Reactions: Gtech and DerbyDave