Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Violently out of alignment - 5 repair attempts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So I purchased a $100,000 luxury vehicle - 2017 Model X.

I drive a lot (3hrs a day) and needed tires after 1.5 years.

Took it to the Tesla dealer and they said I should get an alignment with the new tires. Reasonable.

I did and as soon as I drove the car away with new tires, the car pulled so hard to the left that I was fighting the steering wheel to keep the car in the lane. The steering wheel was crooked/cocked, and if I didn't pay full attention and keep pressure on the wheel to steer "right," the car would pull into the cars in the oncoming lane. Lovely.

Fast forward... 5 repair/alignment attempts later still an unsafe $100,000 car. Been driving almost 6 months like this; half the life of the new tires now "scrubbed" from misalignment. Dealer won't replace front tires and has gone through everything (rotating front tires, multiple alignments, replacing sensors, etc.).

I can't wait to drop this piece of sh!t off at the dealership and tell my lawyer to sue for warranty buyout. F-Tesla!

My wife loves her 2018 Model 3.

Deposited on a Taycan. Never looking back.

So I purchased a $100,000 luxury vehicle - 2017 Model X.

I drive a lot (3hrs a day) and needed tires after 1.5 years.

Took it to the Tesla dealer and they said I should get an alignment with the new tires. Reasonable.

I did and as soon as I drove the car away with new tires, the car pulled so hard to the left that I was fighting the steering wheel to keep the car in the lane. The steering wheel was crooked/cocked, and if I didn't pay full attention and keep pressure on the wheel to steer "right," the car would pull into the cars in the oncoming lane. Lovely.

Fast forward... 5 repair/alignment attempts later still an unsafe $100,000 car. Been driving almost 6 months like this; half the life of the new tires now "scrubbed" from misalignment. Dealer won't replace front tires and has gone through everything (rotating front tires, multiple alignments, replacing sensors, etc.).

I can't wait to drop this piece of sh!t off at the dealership and tell my lawyer to sue for warranty buyout. F-Tesla!

My wife loves her 2018 Model 3.

Deposited on a Taycan. Never looking back.
Never buy your tires at Tesla.

Horror stories about others who cannot safely lift a Tesla. Everyone here said Tesla is fairly priced for replacement Conti's. That was true, so I let them do it. You're saying risk battery damage to let Billy Bob Jack hoist it and do the tire replacement and alignment?

TeslaInv.JPG

Reactions: r0xx0r
Darn autocorrect, circumference. I have heard of stories where a tire didn't match even though the sidewall markings did.

Appreciate the left field suggestion, but it's not my responsibility to measure the tires to see if there is a manufacturing defect like that and frankly, if car tires are indeed produced that poorly, I will quit driving altogether.

If we're at the point of "I have heard stories..." then it's time for Tesla to be a big boy and take this car back. They clearly don't care about me and my family's safety.

• Funny
Reactions: tinc and Nrazar
M
Appreciate the left field suggestion, but it's not my responsibility to measure the tires to see if there is a manufacturing defect like that and frankly, if car tires are indeed produced that poorly, I will quit driving altogether.

If we're at the point of "I have heard stories..." then it's time for Tesla to be a big boy and take this car back. They clearly don't care about me and my family's safety.

My raven model S will not get into perfect alignment and honestly I have given up on the situation. I might trade-in to Mercedes at this point

Weird , the mechanic at service center drove with you? And let it go out the door?
By the way, any front end shop with a Hunter Hawkeye Elite can align your car. I looked at machine in my SC, yes it's a hunter. Called Hunter, they confirmed it. They told me one shop had one. Cost 79.95 vs 180.

Weird , the mechanic at service center drove with you? And let it go out the door?
By the way, any front end shop with a Hunter Hawkeye Elite can align your car. I looked at machine in my SC, yes it's a hunter. Called Hunter, they confirmed it. They told me one shop had one. Cost 79.95 vs 180.

Yup.

Read the service invoice - it says they couldn't get it centered/aligned because they ran out of adjustment room. Something was f-ed in that car. Ah well, it's not my problem any more. Just happy I didn't roll over 50k miles and get a $7100 control arm bill like that poor fellow in here with the same problem.

This won't help the topic starter I guess but maybe others: I once had a front tire on my 2006 Audi A8 which had a manufacturing-defect in the carcass. Optically you would not be able to tell. Long story short, under load, the tire basically buckles/deforms a little bit, enough to make the car pull to one side. They aligned my car until hell froze over, nothing ever worked. Nobody came up with the idea to swap tires between left and right fronts. After this, the car pulled the other way. But the tires looked fine (yes... from the outside).
Moral of the story is that the Tech's at Tesla are not tire-people and on the alignment-bench, all looks hunky dory.

One could swap tires between left and right front (or rear) and the car might still pull to the same side as before when the alignment was done, based on an incorrect starting-situation. There are so many things that can go wrong with tires, sending folks on wild goose chases and driving them crazy.

Pity it's too late for the topic starter but this could very well have been a pure tire issue from the start. Hope the porker put's a smile on his face.

This won't help the topic starter I guess but maybe others: I once had a front tire on my 2006 Audi A8 which had a manufacturing-defect in the carcass. Optically you would not be able to tell. Long story short, under load, the tire basically buckles/deforms a little bit, enough to make the car pull to one side. They aligned my car until hell froze over, nothing ever worked. Nobody came up with the idea to swap tires between left and right fronts. After this, the car pulled the other way. But the tires looked fine (yes... from the outside).
Moral of the story is that the Tech's at Tesla are not tire-people and on the alignment-bench, all looks hunky dory.

One could swap tires between left and right front (or rear) and the car might still pull to the same side as before when the alignment was done, based on an incorrect starting-situation. There are so many things that can go wrong with tires, sending folks on wild goose chases and driving them crazy.

Pity it's too late for the topic starter but this could very well have been a pure tire issue from the start. Hope the porker put's a smile on his face.

They did try swapping the front wheels and no change. The mechanics said they could not adjust the alignment any further to get the alignment centered. So definitely not a tire problem. A Tesla quality problem.

And yes, the P-car puts a huge smile on my face (though I detest burning and buying gas).

• Funny
Reactions: Nrazar
They did try swapping the front wheels and no change. The mechanics said they could not adjust the alignment any further to get the alignment centered. So definitely not a tire problem. A Tesla quality problem.

And yes, the P-car puts a huge smile on my face (though I detest burning and buying gas).
Waiting for my G from Mercedes then I’m out of here too. Same exact situation as you