Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIR Full EV Lap Record - 2:04.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally! It took over two years, but at the start of the third season with the Model 3 I was able to drop below a 2:05 at VIR (my long-term goal). There were definitely times when I didn't think it would be possible haha!

Shout-out to @MountainPass for all of their help with car setup and collaboration. They also make some great parts too :)

I dropped over 5 seconds from one year ago (I was running mid 2:10's at the time), and over 3 seconds from last event. Changes from last year - 295 Yokohama A052's (instead of 275 Federal 595RS-PRO), MPP Sports Coilovers (instead of MCS 1WNR), and a diet to the tune of 170lbs.

Ok, so that sounds great and all - but what does a 2:05 mean really? I know a lot of you track junkies are out on the west-coast and love Buttonwillow CW13. If you take all of the NASA Lap Records from each track and average them, Buttonwillow is 10.5 seconds faster (CW13 Avg 01:57.3, VIR 02:07.9). So, in effect, it's about the same as a 1:54.5 at Buttonwillow. As another comparison, if you take the percentage drop from a year ago (4.3%) and apply it to the Grand configuration lap I ran a year ago, it's a 2:52.95 on Grand (comparisons here Lightning Lap Results 2006 to 2021: Every Car, Every Lap Time). Just trying to give some context instead of a random number!

Overall, I am very excited to have achieved this lap at VIR and I feel it is just another example of how fast EV's can be on track (despite their weight). I'm also moving to the North East, so I am not sure when I'll have another chance to run at VIR; this was a nice send off. The next goal is to win the Alternative Fuel class in One Lap of America! Stay tuned :)

Full Mod List:

Suspension
MPP Sports Adjustable Coilovers
MPP Rear Toe Arms
MPP Rear Camber Arms
MPP Rear Trailing Arms
MPP Rear Traction Arms
MPP Front Upper Control Arms
MPP Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
Unplugged Front Adjustable Sway Bar
Unplugged Rear Adjustable Sway Bar
Whiteline Front Adjustable Sway Bar End Links
Whiteline Rear Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

Cooling
Prototype HV Radiator
Prototype Front Oil Cooler
MPP Rear Oil Cooler
MPP Cooling Party Controller

Brakes
AP Racing Front 9660/372mm BBK
MPP Master Cylinder Brace
MPP Page Mill P3D+ Rear Rotors
Ferodo DS3.12 Front Brake Pads
Raybestos ST43 Rear Brake Pads
MPP Stainless Steel Brake Lines
RBF600 Brake Fluid

Wheels/Tires
18x10.5/11" ET40 Konig Hypergram Wheels
Yokohama Advan A052 295/35/18
Dorman Wheel Studs

Exterior
Unplugged Front Lip Spoiler
Unplugged High Downforce Trunk Spoiler
Custom Rear Diffuser

Miscellaneous
MPP Lightweight Lithium Battery Kit
MPP PartyBox
MoTeC C125

Full congrats on your new PB!Awesome to hear you hit your goals. Would be cool to see all the track junkies at one neutral location....perhaps COTA?
I'll be at Eagles Canyon for One Lap of America - then I think I'm going to take a break for a couple months lol! COTA would be really cool though!

Hauling ass out there! Love that you're pushing the track side of things, keep up the good work 👏
Thanks! Hoping to see a slow but steady adoption of EV's out on track. Realistically, the charging infrastructure is not there to support 20 EV's at an event right now. Race tracks need to start installing DC Fast Chargers. But, it's been really cool to change peoples perceptions, most of whom are die-hard ICE fans. We'll get there in time!

Well done! Another win for the EV world. I wonder how much your time would improve by if you had gotten the Sparco's on time
Thanks! I don't think the Sparco's would have saved me any time, but they would have made it a lot easier for sure. I'll be happy when I am no longer sliding around in the stock seats.

With the high speeds at vir, no power drop off toward end of lap 1?
Nope! Even with stock cooling I could always get 1 out lap and then a fast-lap. Now I can get an out lap and a few fast-laps. Still work to be done there, but it is getting better each time. The only way to test is on the track though, so it's a bit of a trial and error scenario.

Reactions: Big Earl
I'll be at Eagles Canyon for One Lap of America - then I think I'm going to take a break for a couple months lol! COTA would be really cool though!

Thanks! Hoping to see a slow but steady adoption of EV's out on track. Realistically, the charging infrastructure is not there to support 20 EV's at an event right now. Race tracks need to start installing DC Fast Chargers. But, it's been really cool to change peoples perceptions, most of whom are die-hard ICE fans. We'll get there in time!

Thanks! I don't think the Sparco's would have saved me any time, but they would have made it a lot easier for sure. I'll be happy when I am no longer sliding around in the stock seats.

Nope! Even with stock cooling I could always get 1 out lap and then a fast-lap. Now I can get an out lap and a few fast-laps. Still work to be done there, but it is getting better each time. The only way to test is on the track though, so it's a bit of a trial and error scenario.
Nice I can’t even get 1.5 laps now it seems like. What diff fluid do you use. I wonder if upgrading to synthetic would help slightly. I guess I have no choice but to spend the money

I feel like you would drop 1-2 seconds with a proper seat. The stock seat is terrible on track.
Dude, I tried tracking my Model 3 this week and I felt like the car was driving me, instead of the other way around. As a tall guy, the bolsters weren't even close to holding in my ribcage. My BMW X1 with the sport seats was a much better car on track, with much less modification required to be competent, mainly because I felt in control. The Model 3 requires you to use the steering wheel to prevent your body from flopping around, which is not ideal in aggressive cornering situations.

I hope that some day the Performance variants include sport seats with adjustable thigh extensions and power bolsters that "pinch" you.

Reactions: MODEL+
I know the feeling. I have to take a wide stance to hold me self in place. Left knee against the door, right knee against the center console and the seat slid way up to be on top of the steering wheel. Thankfully there is a lot of headroom

I know the feeling. I have to take a wide stance to hold me self in place. Left knee against the door, right knee against the center console and the seat slid way up to be on top of the steering wheel. Thankfully there is a lot of headroom
I've bruised my knee doing that in my old MX5, proper seats are definitely a must at a certain point!

Congrats on the PB! I've had my eye on VIR for a tour I'm working on. Superchargers seem to be pretty far from the track. Do they have 50amps available or you have different solution? Do you use Assetto Corsa VIR? I hear the track design is pretty good.

By the way, Great tire selection btw. I think A052 is the best street tire out honestly.