Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIR Full EV Lap Record - 2:04.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not much beyond they are no longer allowed. They didn't go into details as to whether there's a plan to allow them in the future. At some point they will be forced.

It's super disappointing and frustrating though.
Is it VIR / Summit Point themselves that are banning EVs or the groups renting the tracks ?

Kind of a bummer, I've been driving a Prius for the past 4 years (after selling my sports car), Im waiting for my M3P VIN and was looking forward to getting back out on the track.

Other questiosns (assuming they eventually open it back up to EVs):
1) How many laps can you get in at VIR? I'm used to running 4 x30min sessions/day with ~1.5hrs in between runs.
2) Is there a bank of fast charging stations anywhere nearby (within 20min)?

Reactions: Dave EV
Is it VIR / Summit Point themselves that are banning EVs or the groups renting the tracks ?

Kind of a bummer, I've been driving a Prius for the past 4 years (after selling my sports car), Im waiting for my M3P VIN and was looking forward to getting back out on the track.

Other questiosns (assuming they eventually open it back up to EVs):
1) How many laps can you get in at VIR? I'm used to running 4 x30min sessions/day with ~1.5hrs in between runs.
2) Is there a bank of fast charging stations anywhere nearby (within 20min)?

It's the track themselves, not the groups.

It depends on how fast you are and supporting modifications, but 15 minutes sessions should be workable to begin.

There are 50 Amp RV outlets scattered throughout the paddock and a Supercharger about 25 minutes away. Would probably want to hit the Supercharger at lunch.

It's a big bummer and a short-sighted decision.

Reactions: Dave EV
I think they're going to have a lot of challenges long-term with track day rentals if they're charging a premium for the track rental AND cutting out a growing percentage of participants, to include a lot of performance hybrids in the pipeline that will have big enough NCA batteries in them that they would also need a buttload of water to put out and keep out.

I get that currently the firefighting gear at any given track is woefully inadequate for anything but a single-car flareup (hand-cannons aren't putting out a multi-car firey crash quickly either) but that's a hole that needs filled EV's or no EV's

I wonder if there is a particular premise liability insurer pushing this too as a must-do to keep some sort of coverage

PCA comes to mind...

I believe Summit reversed course on the hybrid side of things, but that doesnt' really make a whole lot of sense conceptually other than a 2kwh battery is only going to cause a truly awful runaway rather than the cataclysmic runaway an 80kwh pack would have if that were possible (it's really not, but whatever, why let physics get in the way)

Last edited:
It's the track themselves, not the groups.

It depends on how fast you are and supporting modifications, but 15 minutes sessions should be workable to begin.

There are 50 Amp RV outlets scattered throughout the paddock and a Supercharger about 25 minutes away. Would probably want to hit the Supercharger at lunch.

It's a big bummer and a short-sighted decision.
I'm not fast, but I may be wasting energy none the less. I've been to VIR ~15 times in ~5 different cars, I go around with no instructors in the yellow/intermediate groups but I'm still a "casual". I'm not gonna set any records, I'm mostly there to have fun and learn how to drive the car. I could probably live with 15min though.

My track prep is basically changing pads out. Other than that I run everything stock.

How do your times compare to ice cars, like say a Corvette?

Most of these times are on a Hoosier R-compound or equivalent. T2, T3, T4 are production-based, minimally-modified cars with brake/suspension/minor aero mods and close to stock power, with safety gear for racing. T3 is cars like the older vettes, E46 BMW M3's, older 911's, that kind of thing

In other words, right on top of what a stockish C8 Z51 Corvette can do, in the hands of an expert, on soft R-compounds

Reactions: MasterC17
in the hands of an expert, on soft R-compounds
Yup, thats the key... driving skill has A LOT to do with it.

EXAMPLE:
Thats a GT40 being chased/lapped by a guy in a 240hp Honda Civic. I know the driver, he did an engine swap, and the car is tracked prepped, but its still not comparable to the GT40 from a technical standpoint. Driver makes way more of a difference than the car at normal people levels.

Anyone can go fast in a straight line.

Last edited: