Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIR Grand PB - 3:00.7 - How does this compare to C&D Lightning Lap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came back from my first track day at VIR Grand (in any car). I have 10 days on VIR Full now, but Grand adds almost an entire mile of low-speed, tight corners. It was a lot of fun. My goal for the day was to hit 3:00 and I just managed to do that. Unfortunately, the Chademo at VIR is still broken, so I was stuck using my jury-rigged HPWC at 45 Amps. I ran one session in the AM and did 8 laps to learn the line. For the PM session, I started at 90%SOC and drove one warm-up lap. I started my fast lap with 80%SOC. It was not the cleanest lap, there were several corners that could be improved on, but ultimately I am happy with the results considering I had only driven 9 laps on Grand by that point!

I think it is interesting to compare to Car and Driver's Lightning Lap list. The Model 3 Performance would fall into their LL2 Class. Given, my car is modified, but most of those increase longevity (of the tires and brakes) and not so much actually make the car go faster for one hot-lap. I think a semi-professional driver with experience at VIR Grand could break 3:00 with a stock Model 3 Performance relatively easily.

So the car's in LL2 that would beat the Model 3 are as follows:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, 2:53.8
2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package Level 2, 2:53.8
2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, 2:54.8
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, 2:57.5
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport, 2:58.8
2019 BMW M2 Competition, 2:59.7
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2:59.8

And car's the Model 3 would edge out:

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z51, 3:01.2
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, 3:01.4
2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, 3:01.5

The trend here is that every other car on the list is a 2-door sports coupe, not a "luxury" 5-seater sedan.

I know the Model 3 Performance has also been compared to the BMW F80/F82 M3 and M4. The M4 ran exactly the same time (2015 BMW M4, 3:00.7). This also coincides with the lap time of a 2006 Ford GT and 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S.

I note all of this to make a point; the Model 3 Performance is certainly a drivers car, and it is very quick around a track considering its weight and price. As EV technology continues to improve, we will see them start to dominate on the track. I look forward to seeing what the new Roadster and Plaid S will do. Now, if Tesla would start installing Superchargers at tracks, that would really make my day!

the cadillac is a luxury 5-seater sedan

you also have $10k just in suspension and brake tuning alone, excluding cosmetics, wheels, and pretty serious tires.

that prices your car in LL3 behind some other luxury cars like mb, alfa giulia, etc

Last edited:
I note all of this to make a point; the Model 3 Performance is certainly a drivers car, and it is very quick around a track considering its weight and price. As EV technology continues to improve, we will see them start to dominate on the track. I look forward to seeing what the new Roadster and Plaid S will do. Now, if Tesla would start installing Superchargers at tracks, that would really make my day!

Or even these mobile 72KW chargers would be better than nothing, as seen in the recent Track pack YouTube videos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200303-074407.png
    Screenshot_20200303-074407.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
His point was that a semi-pro driver could likely do it in a stock P3D.

Thank you! That was my 9th lap (in any car ever) on Grand. I can tell you there were several seconds left on the table. It doesn't help that you get 1, maybe 2 laps at full power so the window to set a fast-lap in traffic is pretty slim. You can see the battery output from the start of the lap to the end (on the front straight) had already started falling off about 20kW. The point is, a semi-pro driver with an open track starting with a full pack should be considerably faster than me (all else being equal) which makes up for the modifications I have made.

the cadillac is a luxury 5-seater sedan

you also have $10k just in suspension and brake tuning alone, excluding cosmetics, wheels, and pretty serious tires.

that prices your car in LL3 behind some other luxury cars like mb, alfa giulia, etc

You can go right now and buy a Performance Model 3 + Track Package for $62,500. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's (effectively an R-Compound) are a stickier tire than what I am running. So, yes, I would still have a suspension advantage but that is worth maybe 3-4 seconds. My first time at VIR on stock suspension I ran a 2:13. My best since then even with thousands of dollars in modifications is a 2:10.

Finally, I'm not saying the Model 3 Performance is the fastest track car for the money, or even the fastest luxury sedan. But dollar for dollar it is an excellent value and as EV technology continues to improve I expect we will start to see them dominating what has long been an ICE-only affair (at least as far as Time Attack is concerned).

Also, a Cadillac ATS-V is a coupe...

Last edited:
This is a 2016 ATS-V, the same one you mentioned

Most of those cars are also wearing OEM tires 1 class / a few seconds behind yours.

Aftermarket modifications throws everything out the window. Particularly as most cars are turboed, and a single software flash will 100hp or more...

The ATS-V was available as both a sedan and coupe. Your assertion on tires is flat-out wrong. As usual you missed the point of the thread.

This is a 2016 ATS-V, the same one you mentioned

Most of those cars are also wearing OEM tires 1 class / a few seconds behind yours.

Aftermarket modifications throws everything out the window. Particularly as most cars are turboed, and a single software flash will 100hp or more...

My apologies, you are correct about the ATS-V being a Sedan as tested by C&D during the Lightning Lap.

Let's just agree to disagree. Hopefully, C&D can test the Model 3 both with and without the new Track Package and see what times they put down.

Reactions: Ryephile
Amazing point is that a factory EV can even be competitive at local amateur track driving events.

Was not long ago that they would overheat after just a couple laps, batteries would fade, brakes would fade etc.

For a reasonable price, a Tesla ower can show up at a local track, run with his buddies in ICE cars and be competitive.

Now Tesla is factory supporting their tracked cars with calibrated suspension, brakes and software to make them even more track capable.

What suspension are you running? If I'm reading the comments right you are modified?

That car is a mess and could be much quicker if dialed in better. Your lines look okay for as few laps as you have put in.