Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Viral/Grassroots Marketing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the obsessed fanboy that I am, I am always talking to people about my future Tesla Model S. Many people are truly interested in seeing or driving it. We are 100 miles from the Tesla Store. I plan to put up signs to announce the arrival of my new baby and have one or more events similar to the Tesla Factory Tour. Would Tesla be willing to let like minded people use a Tesla produced sign/informational sheet for this sort of event? Does anyone else plan to do the same?

I plan on giving drives/rides to all my clients and friends, (only a few of whom can actually afford one), but no public "event". I might get the local newspaper reporter involved though, since I'll have probably the first Model S in Tacoma.

In my experience, Tesla corporate has zero interest in taking advantage of volunteers to help sell their product. Which is too bad, because potential customers I talk to are much more convinced by owners than employees. In fact, I don't know of a better way to move electric cars; that's why I put together an Electric DriveWay party kit to help encourage EV owners to demonstrate their cars to family, friends and neighbors.

But the nearest store may well be willing to loan out signs or give you brochures to hand out.

In my experience, Tesla corporate has zero interest in taking advantage of volunteers to help sell their product.
Seems too early to say that. It's not going to help much to have evangelists out there trying to sell a product that's already sold out for over the next year. Elon pleaded during the Oct 1st event for every attendee to spread the message that the Model S isn't a unicorn, it exists and it's great (or something like that, I remember the word "unicorn" in there).

Seems too early to say that.

No, it's not. I've asked them.

They have been selling the Roadster for a while, and they already have stores that are focused on the Model S, so they are doing this already themselves. It definitely helps to have people building excitement for the product now--many people have to go through several "steps" before they are ready to make a buying decision.

To be clear, they don't mind owners doing things on their own (not that they could control it anyway). But the OP was asking if Tesla was willing to help him, and my answer is that I don't believe they will. But hey, maybe it's just me, and somebody else would get a different answer.

To be clear, they don't mind owners doing things on their own (not that they could control it anyway). But the OP was asking if Tesla was willing to help him, and my answer is that I don't believe they will. But hey, maybe it's just me, and somebody else would get a different answer.
Ah, I see. Yea, no active help. Do any auto companies actually provide that kind of help? That's not to say Tesla shouldn't, I'm just curiuos.

Ah, I see. Yea, no active help. Do any auto companies actually provide that kind of help? That's not to say Tesla shouldn't, I'm just curiuos.

Yes, most (not all) do. By the way, I'm talking about somewhat more organized efforts than individual-level, like National Plug-In Day. Nissan, for example, is now inviting owners to its Leaf Experience tour. I think early on a lot of companies (again, not all--we've had some contact Plug In America well before they had a car ready) think they'll just do 100% of their own messaging; but after the car is out for a while and they start looking at their own research, they tend to realize that a lot of these sell based on word-of-mouth from other owners.

And again, there's a difference in any car company between corporate and the stores and/or dealerships. As I noted earlier (and Nigel too), the stores are often happy to hand out promotional material, and sometimes even let their facilities be used. That's why I specified "Tesla corporate" in my first response.

Last edited:
And again, there's a difference in any car company between corporate and the stores and/or dealerships. As I noted earlier (and Nigel too), the stores are often happy to hand out promotional material, and sometimes even let their facilities be used. That's why I specified "Tesla corporate" in my first response.

Hi Chad,

I have been in contact with corporate communications in an attempt to obtain assistance in organizing a local Tesla Motors club. So far they have acknowledged my messages but have not said either no or yes to my request. I have not given up all hope as I think that Tesla staffing is very thin and it may merely be a matter of having limited resources right now. I plan on resuming my efforts after the new year.

Larry

In a different (green, still) context, SolarCity does a wonderful job with helping owners spread the message; here's an extract from their "SolarParty" campaign:

We thank you for making the switch to solar – and now invite you to share your experience by throwing your very own Solar Party with friends and neighbors!

As part of our new referral program, we’ll not only cover the cost for your solar party, but we’ll reward you when one of your friends installs a SolarCity solar system as well!

Why it’s good for you:
You can make an even bigger difference by telling your friends about the many benefits of solar, and encouraging them to make the switch. To say thank you, we’ll give you $400 for each party person who signs a contract with SolarCity.

Here’s how it works:
You invite your friends and neighbors over to your house to show off the benefits of your solar system. And that’s it! SolarCity will help with invitations, cover food and beverages, and provide a solar consultant to help the day of the event.

In my experience, Tesla corporate has zero interest in taking advantage of volunteers to help sell their product.
Not entirely. Last July, Tesla paid to reserve five parking spaces on Ocean Avenue in downtown Carmel during auto week on the Monterey peninsula so that a collection of us owners could park there and talk up the cars with the crowds that are in town. And to counteract the row of Lambos on the other side of the street. Two Tesla employees were also there with some banners and handouts. But I agree, this kind of event is not going to happen all the time.