Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virgin Galactic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forewarning. This just published The New Yorker article is a long read, but well worth it for anyone interested in VG. The focus is on the VG test pilots. I duly respect their courage and commitment.

A story I hadn't heard before. A few years ago VG approached Elon expressing interest in purchasing Merlin rocket engines. Elon offered to them sell one, but the price tag turned out to be too high.
Virgin Galactic’s Rocket Man | The New Yorker

Forewarning. This just published The New Yorker article is a long read, but well worth it for anyone interested in VG. The focus is on the VG test pilots. I duly respect their courage and commitment.
Virgin Galactic’s Rocket Man | The New Yorker
As do I, but after reading that I am leaning towards the view that piloting spacecraft should not be done by relying on humans to make decisions in real time. Better to design spacecraft that are controlled by computers, with code written by humans which can be tested repeatedly in simulations and then in test flights before humans are placed in them.

I get it that pilots like to actually “fly” their vehicles by controlling them directly. But the technology has moved on, and it’s now better to leave the “flying” up to the software (or firmware).

• Love
Reactions: Brando
First plane to reach 22 km altitude? 1955 U-2 ? perhaps
Lockheed U-2 - Wikipedia
Looks to be just shy of 22 km, but still likely the first manned aircraft to hit those heights. Boldly too, with little margin for error. From that Wiki link, "To maintain their operational ceiling of 70,000 feet (21,000 m), the early U-2A and U-2C models had to fly very near their never-exceed speed (VNE). The margin between that maximum speed and the stall speed at that altitude was only 10 knots." Plenty of additional risks as well. The cockpits were only partially pressurized and of course staying conscious was favored. A cool payoff for those early pilots, they were first to visually detect the curvature of the earth. Amazing that today many of these aircraft are still in service.

Reactions: Brando
Richard Branson is offering up VG to speculators of Space tourism. By merging with Social Capital Hedosophia (NYSE: IPOA), VG will bypass the IPO process. Perhaps this won't set a trend in commercial spaceflight, but still an interesting development.
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

In other words, Branson said "Get this turkey off my hands, pronto!". By the time Galactic gets stable with the promise of making money, Elon will be taking people to Mars.

For retail investors looking for an opportunity to invest in space tourism, today could be their day. NYSE. As the first publicly traded human-spaceflight company, shares of Virgin Galactic just began trading on the NYSE under the symbol SPCE. Have to give Sir Richard some credit here. Perhaps they priced the IPO about right. It's currently in the green, up about 6%. I know the NASDAQ has some five letter symbols, so maybe hold out for SPCEX. :p

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf