TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Virginia allows Tesla direct sales

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Miuaiga, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Miuaiga

Miuaiga Member

If you had wondered, as I had, what was taking so long to open the Tyson's Corner store, this morning's news provided at least part of the answer. Tesla is fighting the ubiquitous dealership monopoly here as well as elsewhere that is trying to thwart the TSLA store model. While successful until now in the VA battle, they have encountered an obstacle with the VA DMV, of all things. They have forbidden Tesla to open a storefront at Tyson's, seeing it as being in violation of state regs on automotive dealerships. Let us hope this is very temporary.

2. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yeah, it's too bad. So VA law may need to be modified. Tesla will probably start that process like they did in TX and also start on the Federal level.

If retail stores can sell goods manufactured by them, then Tesla should be able to sell the same.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

4. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Using the logic of 'dealerships protect consumers' (though Fisker owners should take exception to that statement), grocery stores could band together to stop farmers' markets.

Truly mind-boggling, isn't it?

6. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yeah, he was just pointing out that the commissioner overruled the hearing officer. This makes sense if the commissioner felt that, even if there was a public interest, they couldn't violate state law.

7. Miuaiga

Miuaiga Member

I agree with that. Virginia has a long and scarred history regarding innovation. Just look at our history in banking, air transportation, technology development. North Carolina ate our lunch on each of those fronts. So, it will be here, too, I suppose. The salvation may be in the burgeoning suburbs of DC that are young, enterprising and open, nay, begging for change. As I am often required to say, "Welcome to Virginia!"

8. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Glad I have mine already. But Virginia offers NO incentives for EVs. Even "progressive" Charlottesville has basically no charger stations. Very disappointing. Not that I need them in Cville, but Virginia in general, with its illegality of radar detectors etc is a PITA. I'm surprised they actually raised the speed limit on some roads (like I-81) to 70+. I would have expected to leave everything at 55...

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#9 Lloyd, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    Actually that is the case in California. Roadside markets in San Luis Obispo are being closed down where farmers used to sell direct. Health department certification, workers compensation documentation, and business licences are required, and most simply close. I have several friends that are no longer able to sell direct.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Elon tweeted:
    With this pic....
    [​IMG]

11. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

So the VA store opened yesterday. They have the usual rules where they cannot talk about price or selling, they can just answer questions about the car. One additional nice thing is that many more Virginians get to see how silly our laws are.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Virginia joins list of states forbidding Tesla sales

Virginia is backwards. Northern VA should secede from the rest of the state.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

And maybe East VA too. Virginia could have its own 4 corners. ;)

14. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

You might want to re-think that. Look what happened to West Virginia:wink:

15. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Then again, of all states, West Virginia may have the best EV-purchase incentive deals of any state in the union, I'm pretty sure. On top of the 7500 from federal, WV offers its own 7500 credit if I read the docs correctly.

16. arondaniel

arondaniel Il Sessanta Caricato

OK, time to take a little citizen action here. Writing Mr. Holcomb and Mr. McDonnell to express my disapproval...

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Governor Robert F. McDonnell

-Aron

17. slr_pwrd

slr_pwrd Member

#17 slr_pwrd, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Virgnia government is not hostile to Tesla anymore. Tesla has been given dealer's license to sell cars directly to their residents. It is a done deal and Tesla is working to meet its basic requirements such as number of parking space required at the site, etc...The license to sell kicks in approxinately couple of weeks. They are looking to sell from Tyson's Corner store and are working with Mall management. The news came from local Tesla representative.

18. Benz

Benz Active Member

Well, that's great news. Thanks for posting. Please keep us informed on this topic. Cheers

19. evme

evme Member

20. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've been told by source in a position of knowledge that the agreement allows for a store and service center in NoVA. It does not allow expansion into the rest of the state. Sorry, I don't know if the person I spoke with wants to be quoted.

The agreement was reached between VADA, Tesla, and the DMV. So a legislative solution is still needed.

A