TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Virginia Buyers -- Can we pay tax @ DMV ourselves?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by carrerascott, Jan 31, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Or does Tesla require to collect it? I'd prefer to pay DMV directly as they'll take a credit card. Would rather get 3,000 airmiles than none...

2. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

Since Tesla does all the registration/titling directly with the VA DMV I believe that you have to pay Tesla the tax. I did ask if I could just do it myself but I was informed that it wasn't possible. Give them a call as they may have a process in place now to have the customer take care of the VA DMV stuff.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Ugh, I hope I can do this all myself. I will be transferring tags and its much easier to handle it at the DMV.

4. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I am still waiting on my simple transfer of tags and also for the title to be sent to my bank. It's been a month and VA DMV quotes 6-8 weeks turnaround time.

The big issue for me is driving with the tiny tag Tesla gives you to put in the back window. I haven't been pulled over but it just makes me uncomfortable knowing that I could be targeted because of it.