Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia - Call to Action - March 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
You've likely seen that the Virginia dealerships have sued the Virginia DMV, claiming that Tesla is not allowed to open a second store.

Virginia auto dealer group sues Tesla to stop second store in state - Yahoo Finance
The VADA claims in the suit filed in circuit court in Fairfax County, Virginia, that Tesla and the state's Department of Motor Vehicles commissioner, Richard D. Holcomb, are violating a 2013 agreement that Tesla could not consider owning and operating a second dealership in Virginia until at least August 2017.

What can you do if you live in Virginia? Let the governor know that you support more stores.

Virginia's governor, Terry McAuliffe, is supportive of Tesla - so be respectful, remember he agrees with you. Just give him the information he needs to show this is what his constituents want.

You can call, mail, or email. Here's the contact information:

Email: Governor - Communicating with the Governors Office

Phone: 804-786-2211

Mail: Governor Terry McAuliffe
Common Ground for Virginia
P.O. Box 1475
Richmond, VA 23218

Please ask family and friends in Virginia to do the same. This type of communication makes a huge difference.

- - - Updated - - -

The governor's twitter handle is @TerryMcauliffe

Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 7.02.52 AM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Ryan MF
I actually wish there was a forum sub-section focused solely on Tesla legislative and lawsuit issues relating to dealerships and competing manufacturers working to stop Tesla from doing business in various states. This is as big a deal to the ENTIRE Tesla community as short-term stock prices. More important, in fact.

Instead of burying these threads in regional forums, they need more visibility among ALL TMC members. What matters in VA matters to everyone. What matters in New Mexico same thing. And CT, TX, MI, IN, you name it. The dealers and manufacturers and other powerful lobbies are all coordinating and talking. We ALL need to be aware of what's going on, and find ways to take action. Even those who live in "Tesla-friendly" states. Things can change.

Great idea - I'll ask that one be created as part of the Tesla Motors subforum.

For what it's worth, I'm liking having these threads in the main Tesla Motors forum. I think this forum is low enough activity, that moving this out is unnecessary. I'm also fine with a separate sub-forum - I'm likely to browse that and mostly ignore the Tesla Motors forum in that case :)

Update: I filed through VA's Open Records and got a copy of the settlement. Posted here: Virginia Dealer Association suing Tesla to prevent new store openings

Short story, the settlement does not stop Tesla from opening more stores. It only had to do with opening the first store. The settlement specifically calls out that it has nothing to do with any future Tesla store/service center/property in Virginia.

(And even though Tesla and the dealerships agreed to keep it confidential - because it was also signed by the state, it falls under open records - meaning I can post it and share it.)

Update: I filed through VA's Open Records and got a copy of the settlement. Posted here: Virginia Dealer Association suing Tesla to prevent new store openings

Short story, the settlement does not stop Tesla from opening more stores. It only had to do with opening the first store. The settlement specifically calls out that it has nothing to do with any future Tesla store/service center/property in Virginia.

(And even though Tesla and the dealerships agreed to keep it confidential - because it was also signed by the state, it falls under open records - meaning I can post it and share it.)
I was present for the tysons center opening and listened to the local politician speeches supporting tesla. Now is the time to see their actions

Dealers should not see this as a zero-sum game, as a threat, as an injustice. They should see it as an opportunity, as an example, as a motivation to push the established automakers to produce more and better electric cars. Their response in Virginia is symptomatic of fundamental issues that have nothing to do with Tesla. Tesla is their chance to resolve these. I really hope they turn around as some of their peers in Maryland did a year ago.

Here is my rather lengthy email I sent to them. I felt it was helpful to give the sales process from the customers side:

First off, thank you for showing support over the years in favor of allowing Tesla to stand up their own manufacturer owned stores.

As I am a resident in Woodbridge, I have been using the Tyson's Corner location for Service ever since it was opened (keeping me from having to travel to MD to get service, so thank you!), and in addition, I have since then purchased a second Tesla (I traded in my older model for the newest), and bought it directly from that location. Having done this twice now, I can honestly say that the process has gotten better over the past few years, which is saying something in and of itself as it was already the best sales process I have ever done with buying a car!

I initiated contact with the store via phone, the sales guy knew I was originally looking for a CPO, which they didn't have what I wanted, and he suggested that if I was potentially looking to save some money on the purchase I might try taking a look at their inventory cars (normally you configure exactly what you want and they make them for you, but they have some inventory which are "slightly used" and therefore discounted).

When I went in to the store everything was at my pace, he sat there an went over their online inventory with me, explained how best to try and get what I wanted while trying to save me some money. He was very patient, let me take as long as I wanted to sift through the inventory, and when I was finished I told him I would rather think it over as I was on the fence about just ordering full custom. He said that was fine, but before I went, asked if I wanted to actually go for a test drive.

Doh! But of course! I hadn't even thought about test driving. He knew the main thing I was looking for was their autopilot features they had just released, so wanted to let me get a chance to actually see it in action before I traded up my old. I was already pretty sure I was going to buy it anyway, it was just a matter of inventory vs new, so it didn't even dawn on me to take it for a drive.

After the drive he said to feel free to think it over and get back with him on the purchase when I was ready. Not, "hey come on, put the money down today, you can always cancel it for a refund in 7 days" (which is true). It was all totally no pressure, and I happily walked out the door. Needless to say I called him back later that night to tell him I put a deposit down on a new car.

I went into this to say that the business model Tesla has laid out to try and control the sales process a little more closely is working. I would hope that we can continue to let Tesla try out their business model in the State of VA with the addition of new stores, and find it upsetting that for an organization that tries to claim the "love competition", is doing an awful lot to stop that competition from actually happening outside of their little circle of friends.

Thank you for your time.

there has to be a law change to remove the dealer protective provision that requires that mfr ability to sell depends on there being no options from independent dealers. That provision is just nonsense anticompetition provision to protect ind dealers who want to continue to torture and scam and ripoff the car buying public. The free market won't support ind dealers so they must rely on laws like this to protect their racket. These laws must change.