TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Virginia - Call to Action - March 2016

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by bonnie, Mar 11, 2016.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You've likely seen that the Virginia dealerships have sued the Virginia DMV, claiming that Tesla is not allowed to open a second store.

Virginia auto dealer group sues Tesla to stop second store in state - Yahoo Finance
    What can you do if you live in Virginia? Let the governor know that you support more stores.

Virginia's governor, Terry McAuliffe, is supportive of Tesla - so be respectful, remember he agrees with you. Just give him the information he needs to show this is what his constituents want.

You can call, mail, or email. Here's the contact information:

Email: Governor - Communicating with the Governors Office

Phone: 804-786-2211

Mail: Governor Terry McAuliffe
    Common Ground for Virginia
    P.O. Box 1475
    Richmond, VA 23218

Please ask family and friends in Virginia to do the same. This type of communication makes a huge difference.

- - - Updated - - -

The governor's twitter handle is @TerryMcauliffe

Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 7.02.52 AM.png

• Helpful x 1
  2. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

I would recommend you ask a Moderator to move this thread to the Mid Atlantic region area of the Forum, where it is also being discussed. v/r

3. bonnie

Appreciate the suggestion, but since everyone can help with amplifying the message via social media (not just VA residents), no one will see the request in the regional thread.

However, I'll put a link over there.

4. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I actually wish there was a forum sub-section focused solely on Tesla legislative and lawsuit issues relating to dealerships and competing manufacturers working to stop Tesla from doing business in various states. This is as big a deal to the ENTIRE Tesla community as short-term stock prices. More important, in fact.

Instead of burying these threads in regional forums, they need more visibility among ALL TMC members. What matters in VA matters to everyone. What matters in New Mexico same thing. And CT, TX, MI, IN, you name it. The dealers and manufacturers and other powerful lobbies are all coordinating and talking. We ALL need to be aware of what's going on, and find ways to take action. Even those who live in "Tesla-friendly" states. Things can change.

5. bonnie

Great idea - I'll ask that one be created as part of the Tesla Motors subforum.

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

For what it's worth, I'm liking having these threads in the main Tesla Motors forum. I think this forum is low enough activity, that moving this out is unnecessary. I'm also fine with a separate sub-forum - I'm likely to browse that and mostly ignore the Tesla Motors forum in that case :)

7. bonnie

Update: I filed through VA's Open Records and got a copy of the settlement. Posted here: Virginia Dealer Association suing Tesla to prevent new store openings

Short story, the settlement does not stop Tesla from opening more stores. It only had to do with opening the first store. The settlement specifically calls out that it has nothing to do with any future Tesla store/service center/property in Virginia.

(And even though Tesla and the dealerships agreed to keep it confidential - because it was also signed by the state, it falls under open records - meaning I can post it and share it.)

8. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I was present for the tysons center opening and listened to the local politician speeches supporting tesla. Now is the time to see their actions

9. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Dealers should not see this as a zero-sum game, as a threat, as an injustice. They should see it as an opportunity, as an example, as a motivation to push the established automakers to produce more and better electric cars. Their response in Virginia is symptomatic of fundamental issues that have nothing to do with Tesla. Tesla is their chance to resolve these. I really hope they turn around as some of their peers in Maryland did a year ago.

10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I sent an email to the Governor's office...thanks Bonnie!

11. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I just did the same.

12. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Here is my rather lengthy email I sent to them. I felt it was helpful to give the sales process from the customers side:

13. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

there has to be a law change to remove the dealer protective provision that requires that mfr ability to sell depends on there being no options from independent dealers. That provision is just nonsense anticompetition provision to protect ind dealers who want to continue to torture and scam and ripoff the car buying public. The free market won't support ind dealers so they must rely on laws like this to protect their racket. These laws must change.

14. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member