TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Virginia call to ACTION - VA DMV denies Tesla dealer license!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Treker56, Apr 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Treker56

Treker56 Member

Folks,

Elon just tweeted a few hours ago that Virginia DMV denied Tesla a dealer license! This is really bad for the people of virginia. Let's get organized and write to the DMV Commissioner, Governor and CC your Congressman and Senators. Other ideas? please post widely on FB/Twitter as well.

Twitter / elonmusk: Not all good news. Virginia ...

- - - Updated - - -

Contact details for Virginia DMV Commissioner:

Richard D. Holcomb
    Commissioner
    EMAIL ADDRESS [email protected]
    TELEPHONE - EXT (804) 367-6606
    FAX (804) 367-2296

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Crazy. How is a Tesla store not in the public interest?

3. Greg G

Greg G Member

I spoke with my state Senator, Adam Ebbin. He is going to be speaking with the DMV Commissioner tomorrow afternoon. I'll post what I hear of the conversation.

Apparently the DMV has a standard reply for anyone who asks about the decision:

Thank you for your interest in this matter. After carefully reviewing the information and evidence provided at the administrative hearing, it was found that the statutory requirements in Section 46.2-1572 of the Code of Virginia had not been met. However, Tesla is not prohibited from gathering additional evidence and presenting it to DMV as a new request at a future date. Please see the attached copy of the decision to more fully understand the law and rationale for the decision in this case.

4. Greg G

Greg G Member

According to Senator Ebbin, there was not much movement in his meeting. I'd like to reach out to Tesla and have the right people there talk with him directly. Any idea who I should speak with?

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Good luck guys.

6. slr_pwrd

slr_pwrd Member

License to Sell Cars in VA

Tesla has been given dealer's license to sell cars directly to Virginia residents. It is a done deal and Tesla is working to meet its basic requirements such as number of parking space required at the site, etc...The license to sell kicks in approxinately couple of weeks. They are looking to sell from Tyson's Corner store and are working with Mall management. The news came from local Tesla representative.

7. tigerade

tigerade Member

Does that mean that Tesla is throwing in the towel in the dealership fight?

8. texex91

texex91 Banned

That's great, can you have your legislators call the Texas legislators and tell them what a bunch of knuckleheads they are.

9. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Terrific news! I think Tesla is still going to pursue a legislative agenda because the dealer's license deal is likely a single exemption for 1 year for the Tyson's Galleria only. To get additional stores or service centers, Tesla would need to apply for the exemption individually and apply again each year. To truly settle things, Tesla needs legislative action which will start in January. So the fight has only just begun.

Still, good news!

10. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

@tigerade: No Tesla will not be selling thru franchise dealerships. The license will sell out of Tysons Corner (or perhaps another VA location, such as the yet-to-be location of the Northern Virginia Tesla Service Center or a new sales gallery).

11. gvillager

gvillager Member

Is there a link to confirm this? I can't find anything online.

12. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

I am sure it will make the news soon.

Another one bites the dust!

13. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

The new regional sales rep for Tesla told us this in person at the National Plug In Day event in Herndon VA, and she is the POC who is working the last details to make it happen. I am sure once the Ts are crossed and Is are dotted, Tesla will make a big press announcement.

14. fryfrye

fryfrye Member

This explains the new White Model S they have at the Tysons Store parking area... I also expect this means they will need to implement a call-ahead of some other system for charging at Tysons.

15. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

The new regional sales rep for Tesla, Kelly Ryan, drove that car to the National Plug In Day event at Herndon. It might be her car - did it have Colorado plates?

16. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

It did not have plates - It may have had the California registration in the rear window...

17. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Just got this from Virginia DMV Commissioner's office, confirming what Tesla rep has told us:

"The Commissioner is pleased that Tesla, the Virginia Automobile Dealers Association (VADA), and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), through counsel, came to an agreement and avoided litigation regarding the operation of a Tesla dealership in Virginia. After the initial ruling, the parties to the hearing before DMV engaged in discussions and, after consideration of those discussions and additional information presented, the Commissioner could determine that Tesla may own a Tesla dealership in Northern Virginia. To operate as a dealer, Tesla must meet the statutory requirements applicable to dealers and obtain a license from the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board.

Thank you,
    Andrew

Andrew Owens
    Legal Services Analyst
    Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
    2300 West Broad Street
    Richmond, Virginia 23220-0999
    Office: (804) 474-2238
    Visit us at Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles "

18. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Great news! Any details behind what happened here? Did TM threaten litigation?

19. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

20. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member