TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Virginia DMV - Excessive Charges

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Xenoilphobe, May 26, 2014.

1. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Just renewed by license registration in Virginia. $430 for 3 years (does not include the annual property tax, registration tax, etc)

Time to outsource this useless organization. Wonder if Smart Tag could just take over for the DMV?

2. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Presume you mean the legislature since the DMV just collects the "tax."

3. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

No idea what you are talking about here and apparently you dont either. Registration is about $50 a year.

4. tiblot

tiblot Member

yeah, can you list the cost breakdown?

5. iadbound

iadbound Member

I have to renew next month and it's going to be about $72 for a year, including my CF plate (not a Tesla). I believe registration for a 4000+ pound vehicle is $45.75 per year (price list on DMV website). However, I see that the all electric vehicle tax of $64 is still in place. That may be the source of the additional costs ($45.75+$64.00+License plate fee (custom, etc., if applicable)). Just guessing on the last bit. The electric vehicle tax is a joke, especially since VA is repealing it for hybrids but not electric-only vehicles. VA should be ashamed.

Here is the language from the DMV website:

Annual License Tax

An annual license tax of $64 is assessed on each electric motor vehicle registered for highway use in Virginia. This tax is included with vehicle registration fees and must be paid at the time of original registration, and each year at renewal.
    The annual license tax applies only to vehicles solely powered by electric and is not refundable upon cancellation of registration. If the vehicle is registered for a period other than one year, the license tax is multiplied by the number of years or fraction thereof that the vehicle will be registered. For example, if you are renewing registration for a two-year period, the annual license tax will be $128 in addition to registration fees.

6. Xenoilphobe

Figured it out - It costs $144.75 per year in Virginia in registration fees (in my case)
    $64 per year electric car tax
    $10 per year for custom plates (I should have got EFFTAX)
    $25 for Clean fuel plates (i have the grandfather HOV plates)
    $45.75 per year for Registration

I could dump the clean fuel plates and lose my HOV access and save $25 (NOT)
    I could dump the custom plates and save $10 per year.

Beyond that I am screwed. Already paid $4700 in Sales Taxes this year to register that car - now this and the annual property tax???!!! Definitely time to look at reducing the government headcount - this is total BS..

7. iadbound

iadbound Member

I have the grandfathered plate as well (don't have the Tesla yet). I know I can transfer the plate, but the DMV transfer application isn't well explained. Did you just put the old plates on the new car, register the car at the DMV (pay sales tax, etc.) and then send in the transfer application? It's one of those pesky details that isn't obvious. Your thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated.

8. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Once you subtract the custom plate fees, just a little more than Amazon Prime.

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

That honestly doesn't seem that bad. The $64 egas tax is kind of crappy, but necessary long term EV adoption.

10. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

The argument to that is that "gas tax" pays for the roads. If there are no gas vehicles how do the roads get paid for ? Not sure what I think of it .....

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

... kind of crappy, but necessary assuming long term EV adoption. :wink:

12. Xenoilphobe

Just transfer the plates to the new vehicle.

13. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I think the $64/year EV fee was implemented by the last VA governor. Now that you have a new one, who is hopefully friendlier to EVs, may be you can push for the elimination of that cost to help incentivize EVs. They can then do a review of the situation in a few years to see if a fee should be imposed. $25 for Clean Fuel plates seems high too; $10 is more reasonable.

14. Frankrb

Frankrb Member

Virginia looks pretty reasonable from sunny Nevada!

My second year registration, including personalized plates is $1625, which includes a $294 supplemental tax for an EV!!

Considering I saved almost $4k on gas the first year, I am not complaining :wink:

15. iadbound

iadbound Member

Thanks. That's easy enough. I was hoping it would be that simple.

What is missing from the cost is that each county in Virginia has a personal property tax. In Fairfax County, for example, a Tesla will run you in the neighborhood of $2,500. The state's fees are obviously modest in comparison.

16. Xenoilphobe

In my case it comes out to $5118 in property taxes for 2014.

$112,000/100* $4.57.

Again this seems excessive - what the hell do I get for this? Also if you add up my 3 other cars this is over $8000 in taxes (on top of the all the other registration taxes and gas taxes)

17. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The OP is being hit with the new tax on EVs. Since we don't use gas they can't collect the tax per gallon. Virginia legislated a ~$70/year fee for EVs. I renewed for 3 years a few weeks ago and it was ~$350 or some such. Perhaps next time you won't be so snippy, eh? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hijacking a little bit here- we have a grandfathered CF tag as well, but it's not personalized. Do you happen to know if you can still request a personalized tag on an old CF plate? I'm worried that if I send in the form (it's still all manual on CF tags) that I'll get the personalized tag but on the new CF plate that doesn't have the HOV access (or the same HOV access, anyway.)

18. iadbound

iadbound Member

Are you sure it's going to be that much? I checked the Fairfax County website, and it looks like the value is based on the version of your car with no options minus some percentage for it being a new vehicle that has lost some value once it was "driven off the lot." The P85 base is $93,400. However, I see your VIN is 17540, so maybe you already paid this or received an assessment. If you did receive the assessment, you might try challenging it based on the website description.

19. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

I looked into transferring a Clean-fuel plate from our old Hybrid to the Tesla with a new personalization. DMV would not accommodate this. I was told the older-style clean fuel plates are no longer made so I would lose the HOV benefits that come with the older style plates if I wanted a personalized clean fuel tag.