Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia drivers - inspection question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this is the first car that i've bought in virginia that didn't already come with the virginia inspection sticker already on it... when i asked my DS about this, she was somewhat non-commital. She said she knew that some of the other virginia drivers had the sticker, and some didnt...

I can't imagine that just because it's an EV that we aren't going to be required to have the inspection sticker - how is everyone else dealing with this? Just taking it to a local place? Did you get tesla to do it for you? (i would have thought this would be included in the maintenance plan and/or the new car prep)....

thoughts?

Tempus

I received my car without an inspection sticker also. Everytime that I have gotten my car inspected in the past I was required to show them my registration card to complete the process. Since I don't have a VA registration card yet I haven't taken my car in yet for inspection. As soon as I get my registration i will take the car in for the inspection. Hopefully this won't come back to bite me in the future.

However, we, as EV drivers, are exempt from VA emissions testing

I'm in Maryland now, but used to live in Virginia and bought two cars while living there. I don't recall having to get the new car inspected in either case, but since you're buying from Tesla and they aren't really fully-represented in all states, I'm not totally surprised they wouldn't have an inspection sticker on the car. IIRC inspection doesn't cost much, so I'd say just take it there...but they really should be doing this as part of the new car prep, IMHO--once they're more "settled" in VA, maybe.

This makes me wonder about in MD--new cars and cars bought elsewhere but moved to/registered in the state must be inspected, but after that (unlike VA) MD just does emissions. So I wonder if I'll have to do that initial inspection in MD, too...probably so.

When I've bought cars out of state they don't come with VA inspection stickers. Unfortunately recently (last year) I did get pulled over and got a "fix it" ticket on a new car -- which used to be free, but now is $60 where we live. :(

So unfortunately you're going to have to go get the state inspection yourself, is my guess.

yeah, that's more or less what i figured. I'm not terribly concerned about it, although i hadn't considered the registration angle that nrcooled brought up. I guess i'm in that same boat - i'll take it in when i get my registration.

I was just somewhat surprised that my DS didn't seem to think it would be required. I think she must have been mixing up the emissions inspection with the regular VA inspection. :)

I've purchased several cars out of state and brought them back to VA. You have to get your own inspection. It's very easy to do. Of course you're likely to get an inspector who has never seen a 100% EV before. That should be fun.

Most gas stations can do it. It costs ~$18 if memory serves.

A

Has anyone in VA gotten their registration yet? How long does it take after getting the plates? I got the plates a week ago, with the title, but no registration yet...

@nrcooled: I'm VIN 3226, and also in VA.

Has anyone in VA gotten their registration yet? How long does it take after getting the plates? I got the plates a week ago, with the title, but no registration yet...

@nrcooled: I'm VIN 3226, and also in VA.

Really? I would have expected the registration card to be part of the same shipment. I've had my S for 2 weeks and I'm getting nervous about all this "spirited" driving I'm doing without having real license plates. I guess I have a couple more weeks to wait.