Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia registration happened pretty quickly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called today to check on the status of my registration and was told they had sent a FedEx package out yesterday. I received the package today. I never asked to do the registration myself. The packet contained a check for sales tax and registration, manufactures certificate of origin, application for certificate of title, and a copy of the MVPA. I'm not complaining, but wasn't expecting it. I've only been waiting about 2 weeks.

I called today to check on the status of my registration and was told they had sent a FedEx package out yesterday. I received the package today. I never asked to do the registration myself. The packet contained a check for sales tax and registration, manufactures certificate of origin, application for certificate of title, and a copy of the MVPA. I'm not complaining, but wasn't expecting it. I've only been waiting about 2 weeks.

I got the same packet and registration went smoothly. The check Tesla sent was made out to DMV, instead of me, and since the total of tax,title, registration was less than the check, DMV wouldn't accept it. I don't blame DMV, as that creates headaches for refunding the balance. I'm not sure where Tesla got that $199.50 number because it's clearly less than that looking at the DMV website. I paid for it myself and now I have to send the check back to Tesla so they can issue a new one to me. Hopefully they'll catch on to this bit of nonsense and do it right in the future. Also would be nice if that paperwork arrives in the original packet with the California temp registration.

Tesla switched me from center to home delivery, but they forgot to send the temp registration with the car, so I could not drive it for a day. Luckily they overnighted me the registration materials and I was able to get my reg/plates at the DMV today in only about 40 minutes. I think this is better than dealing with the cops for a month. The refund check will come in a week I'm told, and I'll tell them to make it out to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Good advice! We have one here in Arlington at the courthouse, and they say they do registrations and titles.

Car should be here tomorrow. "Jim" called and said he'll have his semi in Falls Church tomorrow. Looking forward to the new car.

Make certain that if Tesla is refunding registration fees, they make the check out properly. My check was made out to VA DMV even though there is no lien on this car. Now I will have to get them to cut another check. Hassle.

Don't you still have to pay property taxes to DMV when you register even if there is no lien on the vehicle?

Nevermind. I think I see what you're saying. You already paid the registration before you received your registration packet?

Last edited:
Got my registration documents today. I need to do it myself, but, interestingly enough, Tesla said they would be mailing me a check to reimburse me for the taxes and registration fees. So I need to pay those directly and hope for the refund in the mail from Elon.

The refund was for sales tax and registration fees. I did pay those with a credit card (to get the points) to DMV when I was finally able to have the car registered. The point was that the refund check was made payable to VA DMV. I couldn't cash it to cover the credit card charge. That means I'm out the money twice until Tesla refunds directly to me the amount I've already spent at DMV.

AN aside. DMV hit me with a $200 fee for a two-year registration on electric cars. The General Assembly just passed that law in early February. I was shocked it had already gone into effect.