Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia Tech Study on vehicles with advanced automation technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Only Trons

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern Virginia
A neighbor of mine who attends Virginia Tech just stopped by my home to tell me about a study being conducted by Virginia Tech. The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) is looking for specific vehicle owners to participate in a year long study that is meant to contribute to understanding the use of future vehicle technology.

From their website: "The purpose of this study is to understand how drivers with advanced automation technology will use a smart phone-based Advanced Traveler Information System (ATIS). The ATIS presents relevant, real time data in a mobile application. The ATIS equipped mobile device will be provided to study participants and vehicles will be instrumented with a data collection system. The data collection system will collect video data but no live audio data will be collected."

To be eligible, participants must drive a 2015 or later Tesla and regularly drive on I-66, US 29, US 50, or I-495 in Northern Virginia. (Five other non-Tesla car models are also eligible to participate, but this forum is about Tesla).

Participants cars will be instrumented.

I don't qualify because I don't regularly drive on the requested routes. In addition, I'm not certain I like the idea of having cameras installed that look inside the vehicle!

Participants will receive compensation, which ranges from $30 - $300 per month with a maximum amount of $3850.

I am posting this in case any of our Northern Virginia Tesla owners are interested. To find more details, visit their website at http://www.vtti.edu/elite .