TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Virginia universities

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Chickenlittle, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I was surprised to find that James Madison University did not have a single electric car charging station. I understand that most teslas are out of the price tange of students but not faculty. Model3 will not be out of price range. This university and others would be good locations for destination chargers

2. Xenius

Xenius Member

Hrm, I wonder if my VA Tech has electric chargers. I'd certainly hope so for a Tech school that has several solar projects.

3. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

According to plugshare.com, there are numerous J1772's, a Chademo and a HPWC destination charger in Harrisonburg.

• Love x 1
  4. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

At this point this is true in most towns including Blacksburg but the OP was referring to the university itself/campus not the surrounding town. I reached out to an organization of pro-environmental students at William & Mary in 2013 to give them a friendly poke when UVA came out with their public chargers in the central grounds parking garage, trying to entice some friendly competition in getting EV chargers. Besides UVA, I have charged at GMU's on campus garage.

5. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Plug share shows only on campus charger at the Corporate research center.

6. Xenius

Xenius Member

Kind of makes sense. Haven't been back in years, but that's where all the high tech research is.

7. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

VCU in Richmond has two chargers in at least three of their parking garages.

8. Chickenlittle

Yes but none on campus. When I asked student parking people just got blank stare at mention of electric cars

9. Lcaudle24

Lcaudle24 Member

Actually, there is one on campus - at the rear of ISAT Building. However, it is solely for use by one EV owned by JMU. Not for public use. None others on campus - at least not for public use. Harrisonburg Electric Commission (HEC) has a free 50 amp charger downtown in the rear of its building and right adjacent to the Farmer's Market. Very convenient to park and shop around old town or eat at a restaurant.

10. XHokie

XHokie Member

For those that go down to Virginia Tech and/or Radford University, the Holiday Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg has a Destination Charger installed by Tesla through a local contractor. If you use it or have used it, and care to share any feedback, feel free to PM me. My father is the owner of that property. :)

• Like x 2
  11. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

I know one guy who used it (and stayed at that hotel) and said it was great!

• Like x 1
  12. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

We've stayed there twice. Chose the hotel solely because of the destination charging. Great experience both times.

HIchrisburg.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  13. XHokie

XHokie Member

Great, glad to hear! I'll pass that along to the staff there and my father. Hope you are back down there sometime soon!

14. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Bridgewater College has a Level 2 Charger (just south of JMU on 81)

15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I do the same thing in Charlottesville at the Hilton - they have six 80 amp Tesla chargers!!! My wife did her first long trip there and loved it!

• Like x 1
  16. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you should contact your very progressive governor and tell him how imperative it is for the state universities should be leading the way and a showcase for a sustainable future

17. Chickenlittle

Don't want to get into politics but Virginia not EV friendly. Was at Tyco SC opening and politicians there spoke about how much of a fan they were but if you need proof, it took a long time to get that one approved and now look at what is happening as tesla is trying to open a second dealership in Richmond. Look at the property tax owners pay I Virginia. The valuations on teslas are way overpriced. my roadster 5 years old and my model s 4 years had extremely low depreciation in eyes of Virginia only.

18. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

If anyone has any contact info for the universities send them info about destination charging. I can send anyone a couple PDF's I have acquired about the program. I keep a few printed out in my glove box to leave with business owners whenever I see the opportunity.

19. swengl

swengl Member

The Inn at Virginia Tech (as well as the nearby Kroger) has a few J1772 ports, the Shell station near campus has a J1772, Blacksburg Town Hall has 2 CHAdeMO plugs and a few other places in town have J1772. The Christiansburg Holiday Inn Express has Destination Charging, as well.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. swengl

swengl Member

I've stopped there a few times, myself. There's usually an ICE car blocking one of the 2 designated spots, though.