Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia universities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to find that James Madison University did not have a single electric car charging station. I understand that most teslas are out of the price tange of students but not faculty. Model3 will not be out of price range. This university and others would be good locations for destination chargers

I was surprised to find that James Madison University did not have a single electric car charging station. I understand that most teslas are out of the price tange of students but not faculty. Model3 will not be out of price range. This university and others would be good locations for destination chargers
According to plugshare.com, there are numerous J1772's, a Chademo and a HPWC destination charger in Harrisonburg.

• Love
Reactions: Chickenlittle
According to plugshare.com, there are numerous J1772's, a Chademo and a HPWC destination charger in Harrisonburg.
At this point this is true in most towns including Blacksburg but the OP was referring to the university itself/campus not the surrounding town. I reached out to an organization of pro-environmental students at William & Mary in 2013 to give them a friendly poke when UVA came out with their public chargers in the central grounds parking garage, trying to entice some friendly competition in getting EV chargers. Besides UVA, I have charged at GMU's on campus garage.

Yes but none on campus. When I asked student parking people just got blank stare at mention of electric cars
Actually, there is one on campus - at the rear of ISAT Building. However, it is solely for use by one EV owned by JMU. Not for public use. None others on campus - at least not for public use. Harrisonburg Electric Commission (HEC) has a free 50 amp charger downtown in the rear of its building and right adjacent to the Farmer's Market. Very convenient to park and shop around old town or eat at a restaurant.

For those that go down to Virginia Tech and/or Radford University, the Holiday Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg has a Destination Charger installed by Tesla through a local contractor. If you use it or have used it, and care to share any feedback, feel free to PM me. My father is the owner of that property. :)

Reactions: CatB and swengl
For those that go down to Virginia Tech and/or Radford University, the Holiday Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg has a Destination Charger installed by Tesla through a local contractor. If you use it or have used it, and care to share any feedback, feel free to PM me. My father is the owner of that property. :)

I know one guy who used it (and stayed at that hotel) and said it was great!

Reactions: XHokie

We've stayed there twice. Chose the hotel solely because of the destination charging. Great experience both times.

HIchrisburg.jpg

you should contact your very progressive governor and tell him how imperative it is for the state universities should be leading the way and a showcase for a sustainable future

you should contact your very progressive governor and tell him how imperative it is for the state universities should be leading the way and a showcase for a sustainable future
Don't want to get into politics but Virginia not EV friendly. Was at Tyco SC opening and politicians there spoke about how much of a fan they were but if you need proof, it took a long time to get that one approved and now look at what is happening as tesla is trying to open a second dealership in Richmond. Look at the property tax owners pay I Virginia. The valuations on teslas are way overpriced. my roadster 5 years old and my model s 4 years had extremely low depreciation in eyes of Virginia only.

If anyone has any contact info for the universities send them info about destination charging. I can send anyone a couple PDF's I have acquired about the program. I keep a few printed out in my glove box to leave with business owners whenever I see the opportunity.

Hrm, I wonder if my VA Tech has electric chargers. I'd certainly hope so for a Tech school that has several solar projects.
The Inn at Virginia Tech (as well as the nearby Kroger) has a few J1772 ports, the Shell station near campus has a J1772, Blacksburg Town Hall has 2 CHAdeMO plugs and a few other places in town have J1772. The Christiansburg Holiday Inn Express has Destination Charging, as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Xenius and kort677