Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod Note: Due to server changes made by Tesla, most owners now need the version posted here.

[The FAQ is here]

[Documentation including installation instructions are online here]

[Release notes for the current version are online here]

I put together a little desktop app called VisibleTesla that allows you to do the same things that the iPhone app does, plus a few new things as well. It is based on the great work done by the folks of the "Model S REST API" thread. In fact, I announced it in that thread and have been discussing there until now. I feel that I was cluttering that thread with topics that aren't strictly about the REST API, so I started a new thread here.

You can always find the latest version of VisibleTesla in this repository. Sometimes the latest version will be newer than what is listed in this post. That means I consider it to be experimental. There will usually be a number of previous versions there as well. If you have problems with the latest version, you can back off to a previous version to see if it works better.

You can read the documentation for VisibleTesla online here. It will give you a feel for what the app looks like, what it can do, and how to use it. Please take a look at the documentation and release notes that come when you download the app. They give some basic instructions.

NOTE
: I will no longer edit this post to list new updates to VisibleTesla. The app will automatically check for updates on a weekly basis and users may manually check for updates at any time by selecting the "Help->Check for Updates" menu item. I will continue to announce new versions as normal posts in this thread.

Here are some quick links to relevant posts from the original thread:

This is just a fun side project that I'm doing with snatches of free time when I can find them. The source is published on github in two parts: The client library (TeslaClient) and the Application (VisibleTesla).

Joe

I have been experiencing a range loss of about 10-12 miles a day for 6 months. tesla says after 30 days in service that it is caused from the app Visible Tesla keeping the car awake all the time. Has anybody else experience this?

I have been experiencing a range loss of about 10-12 miles a day for 6 months. tesla says after 30 days in service that it is caused from the app Visible Tesla keeping the car awake all the time. Has anybody else experience this?
Do you have the app set to allow the car to sleep? I had some losses I was troubleshooting one time and believe I found that setting had toggled off at some point...

I use it the following way during weekdays:

- My car is scheduled to start charge itself at 0:00h until it reaches 70%
- VT is scheduled to start charging till 90% at 5:15h (with my 11kw charger it takes 45min per 10%)
- VT sets the battery slider to 70% at 7:00h

So when I leave my house at 6:45h my car just reached 90%.
Advantages:
- In winter period your battery is warm when you leave
- The car never has it battery at high levels for long periods (in weekdays it only charges to 70%, unless needed more offcourse)

So have you guys been using this application successfully ? I'm planning to start using it but I would rather not cause any trouble with my car or with the Android app.
Yes, I still use it mostly to track battery charge and discharge events. It probably adds slightly to "vampire drain" but that doesn't concern me. The app doesn't seem to be supported for over a year.

Ok thanks.

The thing is, at work we should not exceed 50 kW during 15 minutes or we will have higher fees for the month. I'm planning to charge 13 minutes then wait then charge 13 minutes.... This app would allow me to do that for 2 hours at each planned schedule. Anybody think it will work ?

Ok thanks.

The thing is, at work we should not exceed 50 kW during 15 minutes or we will have higher fees for the month. I'm planning to charge 13 minutes then wait then charge 13 minutes.... This app would allow me to do that for 2 hours at each planned schedule. Anybody think it will work ?

That seems like a viable approach. Your scenario is new, but lots of people use VT to schedule their charging so they can time it to complete just before they leave in the morning. Especially helpful for those of us in colder climates who want to preheat their battery to avoid or minimize cold weather regen and performance restrictions that the car places on cold batteries. Long answer to say that the charging API is working fine for now.

Another approach that you might consider is restricting the charge current to limit the power that you draw. You need to do this in the car (not available in the Tesla API) but it is location specific so you only need to set it once for each charging location.

OK.

One last thing, this is bothering me, does that mean I can loose connection with my android app forever ?

DISCLAIMER: Using VisibleTesla may cause Tesla Motors to limit or completely cease your remote access capability. If they do this, you will not be able to use your mobile phone application, or its use may be impaired. The author of VisibleTesla cannot do anything to rectify this situation if it occurs. You are solely responsible for any adverse effects that stem from the use of VisibleTesla. Use it at your own risk.

OK.

One last thing, this is bothering me, does that mean I can loose connection with my android app forever ?

DISCLAIMER: Using VisibleTesla may cause Tesla Motors to limit or completely cease your remote access capability. If they do this, you will not be able to use your mobile phone application, or its use may be impaired. The author of VisibleTesla cannot do anything to rectify this situation if it occurs. You are solely responsible for any adverse effects that stem from the use of VisibleTesla. Use it at your own risk.

In my opinion, the developer of VT is just being responsible and alerting you to a potential risk, which in practice is minimal.

Tesla has not released the API used by the phone apps for use by third parties. (Clever folks reverse engineered it.) In order restrict the load on the servers that manage the communication, at some time in 2014 (this was before I ordered my Model S and started following this thread) Tesla slightly modified the API and reportedly put an upper limit on the number of requests that the API will accept over some period of time, beyond which it stops responding. That said, I am aware of no reports of either the measuring period or how long the responses are blocked, so it doesn't appear to be a major concern. That doesn't preclude from Tesla from changing the restrictions in the future.

With all that said, there are at least 4 projects for monitoring and managing a Tesla that people are using. So far Tesla has been quietly permitting this. No one has reported phone app issues related to using any of these projects. Most of these projects put a heavier request load on the API than VT and VT actually gives you more control in reducing the load (by enabling sleep mode). Because these projects are collecting data 24x7 occasional communication failures with the Tesla servers are observed, but these appear to be related to maintenance work done on the servers by Tesla rather than any overt action by Tesla to shut down access to any users.

Bottom line: there is a risk of losing connection from the phone app but the risk appears very low. No reports of permanent loss. A few reports of temporary loss of communication while the car and the phone both appeared to have good network connectivity, but nothing definitive - could have been Tesla's servers being unavailable due to maintenance rather than blocking specific user access.

Reactions: Kensiko
my Model S is time traveling! at least according to VisibleTesla...

I keep VisibleTesla running on my iMac. Recently my Mac crashed, it's done so before when VT was running in the background, but this is the first time I've noticed a problem - this time somehow some of the recent VT saved data must have been corrupted. The past several day's worth of data is incorrectly showing in the graph as occurring in the future! and new data is being superimposed on that "future" data on the graph

the VT data/graph seems fine up to around 10 days ago. I keep a separate log of charging events, so checking back on that the data in VT seems to be there, but at several points in the last 9 days each day's data is shifted into the future some random number of hours, stretching 9 days of data across about 20days on the graph. Today is 8/4 as I write this but I see that yesterday's data on the VT graph is showing as 8/13 in the future.

Now after rebooting my iMac earlier today, I notice today's data points in VT are being written to the graph with correct date 8/4 - but the graph looks like today's data is being written in the past superimposed over existing (future) data. Basically it seems the date/timestamps are garbled in the most recent 9 days of data.

Q: is there any way to manually edit/delete just the past several days worth of data in VT, just to clean up the graph from today onward? (I can see where some VT files seem to be stored, in ~/Library/Application Support/VisibleTesla). Would prefer not to blow away all the past saved data...

If you are seeing several files that begin with your car's VIN then you are looking in the right place for the data. That's the good news. And while the files are text and not binary, the bad news is that they do not appear easy to edit. The detailed data is in a file that ends .pts.hdr (I am on Windows but I expect the name is similar on a Mac). Without looking at the source code (which I haven't done yet but expect to do soon) this file is difficult to interpret. It appears to use multiple record formats and there is nothing that looks like a real timestamp. At a guess there are relative time offsets. Not something to try and edit by hand.

Slightly better news if you want to recover charging data. That is stored separately in a file ending charge.json The records here have explicit timestamps, albeit an internal format (milliseconds since Jan 1, 1970 UTC).

One option might be to export all the old data and then start over. This gives you all the old data in spreadsheet format (where you can fix the dates) but you won't be able to display it in VT (no way to import) -- but with some spreadsheet work you can reproduce the graphs.

• Helpful
Reactions: f-stop
If you are seeing several files that begin with your car's VIN then you are looking in the right place for the data. That's the good news. And while the files are text and not binary, the bad news is that they do not appear easy to edit. The detailed data is in a file that ends .pts.hdr (I am on Windows but I expect the name is similar on a Mac). Without looking at the source code (which I haven't done yet but expect to do soon) this file is difficult to interpret. It appears to use multiple record formats and there is nothing that looks like a real timestamp. At a guess there are relative time offsets. Not something to try and edit by hand.

Slightly better news if you want to recover charging data. That is stored separately in a file ending charge.json The records here have explicit timestamps, albeit an internal format (milliseconds since Jan 1, 1970 UTC).

One option might be to export all the old data and then start over. This gives you all the old data in spreadsheet format (where you can fix the dates) but you won't be able to display it in VT (no way to import) -- but with some spreadsheet work you can reproduce the graphs.
thanks @Duma for your reply. I see the .pts.hdr, .pts.data files etc. I can view them using the terminal and command-line, and yes they seem to be text files but rather cryptic. as you say, not something to try and edit by hand - I guess I'll just live with the overlapping data for the next week and ignore the strange looking graph.
it's not critical to me to have all the past data intact, I don't have a complete record from day 1 anyhow, I run VT mostly just for interest sake and haven't gotten around to closely analyzing. But good idea to export the data, I hadn't noticed that feature of VT - I might give that a try and play with the numbers in excel

interesting point about the charging data - that it's saved in a separate file like that. That looks like something useful to extract. I'm thinking a side effect of my VT data corruption problem is that I've learned about this and can try to do something with the data... thanks again

btw here's a screenshot of the graph wrapping back on itself after spending some time in the "future":
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 8.30.41 PM.jpg