Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that the app creator hasn't been available for some time.

Does anyone know of any issues with the "trip" function? VT seems to randomly choose which trips show up on the calendar and more often than not, it chooses to display nothing. I just drove for five hours today with multiple stops, using the MS's trip/navigation tool (thinking that this was necessary) but not one trip appeared. However, a three-minute snip from another four-hour trip (that I took two days ago) did show up. Needless to say, I'm a little lost. I have not upgraded my MS to 8.0, so I am hoping someone here can help me out.

I just started using VT on my three-week-old MS, so I apologize if there is an obvious answer that I overlooked. Thanks for any assistance!

Does anyone know of any issues with the "trip" function? VT seems to randomly choose which trips show up on the calendar and more often than not, it chooses to display nothing. I just drove for five hours today with multiple stops, using the MS's trip/navigation tool (thinking that this was necessary) but not one trip appeared. However, a three-minute snip from another four-hour trip (that I took two days ago) did show up. Needless to say, I'm a little lost. I have not upgraded my MS to 8.0, so I am hoping someone here can help me out.

I just started using VT on my three-week-old MS, so I apologize if there is an obvious answer that I overlooked. Thanks for any assistance!
You identified the main issue; that's VT is no longer supported. Check out TeslaFi.com.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz

As you are new to VT, I'll take a shot at your problem.

The usual reason for your problem is that VT must be running on your PC to be recording.
Typically, the issue you describe happens because VT was not running continuously on your Windows Computer and people believe it's fetching backlog records from the car but it's not. It records live data transmitted from your car as it is moving around.

It usually is quite reliable. I've been using it for a long time without issues.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz
So, I think I've hit the limit of how much data VT can actually store without bonking out..
I've been running it mostly nonstop on my Mac Mini for almost 2 years, save for a couple of long trips abroad when my car was parked and sitting idle for over a week.

My car now has nearly 45k miles and I've taken many many long-distance trips.
Suffice it to say that VT has loads of data stored in its local DB.

However it's gotten to the point where it will just stop collecting data or crash on its own every couple of days.
It's almost impossible to jump across tabs, forget about loading or playing with graphs.

So I've zipped up and saved the DB in a different folder, wiped the app, and reloaded it fresh.
Works much much faster now, but none of the historical data is present in this instance. Oh well...

So, I think I've hit the limit of how much data VT can actually store without bonking out..
I've been running it mostly nonstop on my Mac Mini for almost 2 years, save for a couple of long trips abroad when my car was parked and sitting idle for over a week.

However it's gotten to the point where it will just stop collecting data or crash on its own every couple of days.
It's almost impossible to jump across tabs, forget about loading or playing with graphs.

So I've zipped up and saved the DB in a different folder, wiped the app, and reloaded it fresh.
Works much much faster now, but none of the historical data is present in this instance. Oh well...

I've been running mine 24x7 for 3 years on a Mac as well, no issues with DB data saturation here.

Don't you also use TeslaFi? If so, doesn't that collect the same/more data elements?

I've taken a brief look at the VT source code. The root cause of the problem is that VT does not use a true database, instead storing the data in a simple file using a tricky format that helps to reduce the file size but makes the file difficult to read with a different program. VT tries to read the file into memory and that becomes a problem when the amount of data becomes "large" and exceeds the memory that program allocates. Since this is a Java application, for technical reasons the maximum memory allocation is specified when Java is started and will not be exceeded no matter how much actual RAM you may have on your machine.

There are a couple of work arounds:
  • The simplest is to go to the VT general preferences page and in the drop down for "Load data for " select the last 30 days rather than "All" . While VT may start slowly, it will remain responsive once it get started. The downside is that you don't have access to the older data.
  • Increase the amount of memory that Java may use. This is done on the command used to start the application and is easy to change. On Windows, edit the vtrunner.bat file and change both occurrences of "-Xmx1024m" to "-Xmx2048m". This doubles the memory available to the program from 1 GB to 2 GB. As long as you have sufficient RAM on your computer even larger numbers are possible. Now you should be able to load all the data without VT crashing or being unstable. I don't have access to a Mac installation, but there should be a similar script file with a line that contains a similar parameter string that can be modified.

Screenshot from 2016-12-18 03-59-21.png

Just became aware of VisibleTesla and installed the app on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.
Our vehicle is a Model X P90D. The displayed image in the VisibleTesla app is of a Model S 60.
Why does that occur?

I've been running mine 24x7 for 3 years on a Mac as well, no issues with DB data saturation here.

Don't you also use TeslaFi? If so, doesn't that collect the same/more data elements?

Hmm interesting, how many miles do you have on your car?

Yes and Yes, but I like how VT represents some of the data better especially graphs.

Agree and I'm not great with turning Excel into graphs. Maybe that's a good feature request we can make to James.

I've also been using VT for over 3 years, and started using TeslaFi this summer (was one of the early access users).

The only problem I have with VT is that I can no longer get it to run reports -- File Export just does nothing. Would love to be able to take the raw data and get it into an Excel file for archive purposes.

As for TeslaFi, James has been great and I love what he did. It would be great to get some of the graphs from VT showing in TF. I also asked James earlier if he would consider taking a raw VT data file and using that to provide earlier history into TF, but he said his manipulations of the data make that unfeasible...

• Informative
Reactions: msnow