Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just having another go at VT and noticing that support is long gone and the release notes say Tesla might shut off one's remote access or hobble it if using VT. I tried running it and it seemed to run but crashed reliably every time I hit the Location tab.

So it seems that relations with Tesla broke down and they made it too much trouble for support to continue.

Any other take on this situation? Thanks for any additional thoughts...

Just having another go at VT and noticing that support is long gone and the release notes say Tesla might shut off one's remote access or hobble it if using VT. I tried running it and it seemed to run but crashed reliably every time I hit the Location tab.

So it seems that relations with Tesla broke down and they made it too much trouble for support to continue.

Any other take on this situation? Thanks for any additional thoughts...
I suppose that's possible, but Occam's razor suggests that the developer just lost interest (or developed new obligations, etc). Perils of FOSS projects. AFAICT, the Tesla APIs have always been undocumented and unsupported, and I believe the "might shut off remote access" thing is a long-standing bit of CYA on the part of the developer.

I can get most of this in TeslaFi except for charging reminders. It's not free but well supported and it's a cloud based app.
I tried that app for a bit, but it seemed more focused on driving/usage stats than control, but maybe I didn't look deep enough.

I forgot to mention earlier I also use VT for charge start/stop notifications and lock/unlock alerts.

TeslaFi or Teslalog use the same communication as VT uses. So there is no problem. I don't know anything about the developer of VT but I assume he lost interest. I used to run it 24/7 to collect long term data, but from one version to the next all my old data was gone and I have never been able to load it or export it. Pretty much lost it all. That's when I gave up on VT.

TeslaFi or Teslalog use the same communication as VT uses. So there is no problem. I don't know anything about the developer of VT but I assume he lost interest. I used to run it 24/7 to collect long term data, but from one version to the next all my old data was gone and I have never been able to load it or export it. Pretty much lost it all. That's when I gave up on VT.

I'm sorry you lost your data. I have several years of data saved with VT, across versions, with only the occasional gap. I think VT is a very stable and impressive application.

I think if Tesla were more open about the API we could get more developers to work on and continue to support apps like VT.

Reactions: MDK
:(... oops

Did not know that - Are there any other SW - solutions similar to VT available for the Model X?
I don't see why VT wouldn't work on your X. You just won't get the correct image of the car and some of the other specifications might be incorrect. However, the remaining functionality should work. Have you tried it yet?

Dear all, got the VisibleTesla app running on my Windows 7 computer and everything seems to work just fine except for the trips. No trips are showing up? Any ideas on what could be the casue? (because I am in the UK? Any particular setting?). Appreciate your help and feedback. Simon

Dear all, got the VisibleTesla app running on my Windows 7 computer and everything seems to work just fine except for the trips. No trips are showing up? Any ideas on what could be the casue? (because I am in the UK? Any particular setting?). Appreciate your help and feedback. Simon
Are you leaving VT running all the time? It needs to be running while you are conducting your trip in order to record your trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I am loving the scheduling features of VisibleTesla. I also like being able to check from my computers in addition to my phones.

I can write my own programs, but I'm wondering if any phone apps have scheduling already? Sometimes, I want to change schedules when I'm not home. I can set up VNC, but haven't yet. I probably should! I could even run VisibleTesla from a virtual X server for VNC to log in to at a colo virtual server I have somewhere; VisibleTesla runs under Linux, right?

It's weird to have my car do stuff on holidays as if I'm at work schedule, and that's already happened a few times to me. Plus, some work days aren't as regular as others, and the scheduling is a little wrong.