Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
great app, thanks for making it! I thought someone else was able to pull log data for the car, showed trip history miles, how much energy used and such, any plans for that?

There is the teslams JavaScript project on github. That allows you to store the streaming telemetry data in a database and then show your car's past location / speed on a map plus the energy consumption / regen / charging and SOC over time.

I'm planning to also add some statistics (how much time was SOC above 90% or below 10%, what's the average daily distance, average Wh/mile, etc) to it. Right now I'm in the final cleanup of patches that let the use enter the time range in a much easier way. I'll send Hans a pull request for that, soon.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to combine the two projects, but I'll be happy to help with that if people want to go that way. I mostly contributed to Hans' project because it was there first and it gave me the tools I needed to implement what I wanted the most (ability to store, visualize and analyze the telemetry data without having to give my credentials to a third party site).

I updated my post... when I hit refresh on v0.14 the map reverts back to Map mode. (i.e. doesn't stay on Satellite mode)

The problem was that every time a refresh happens (auto or manual) it reloads the google map and reverts to the default mode, zoom, etc. This means that Satellite mode was reset.

I've changed the way I do this. Now when a refresh happens the application executes a little javascript on the existing page to update the marker rather than reloading the page completely. All the map settings are retained. I'm not quite done with the fix. When I am, I'll post a new version.

VisibleTesla v0.14b1

VisibleTesla v0.14b1 can be found here.

Changes:
  • Just a bug fix. In earlier versions when the map refreshes (either auto or manual) in the Location tab, all the google map settings were lost. If you zoomed, changed to Satellite mode, etc., all of that went away. Now those settings are untouched.
  • It would be great if someone could actually watch their Tesla moving in Location view while someone else drives it around. I've only simulated the impact of actual motion so far.
  • Thanks todsmith2189 for pointing this out

... If you're not seeing it auto-refresh that may be 2 bugs! I'll look into it.

Sure enough, there is a set of circumstances that will cause the auto-refresh to be scheduled for 300 million years into the future rather than 15 seconds!

I've fixed it but probably won't release it until I have some other changes as well.

Maybe when you get a chance, could you add the charger cable to the Overview tab when the car is charging? And also the charger port open/close graphics. I believe there are PNGs for both.

Experimental code is there but minimally tested. If you want to live on the wild side, try out this jar and let me know if it works for you:

Dropbox - VisibleTeslaPort.jar

I've only done the most rudimentary testing. The API has a specific value that indicates whether the charge port door is open. To determine whether the cable is connected I look for a non-zero pilot current. Technically I suppose that the cable could be physically connected and this reading could still be zero, but that's probably pretty rare.

If any of you try this (save your old jar file), please let me know if you have problems. I'll roll this feature into the next update assuming that it works.

Experimental code is there but minimally tested. If you want to live on the wild side, try out this jar and let me know if it works for you

Looks like it works, except that the charging port/cable look to be in the wrong position or at least the graphics look weird.

Charge port closed:
Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 12-Aug 1.50.47 AM.jpg

Charge port open:
Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 12-Aug 1.49.17 AM.jpg

Cable connected:
Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 12-Aug 1.45.15 AM.jpg

VisibleTesla 0.15

VisibleTesla 0.15 can be downloaded here.

Changes:
  • Basic documentation has been added. Click Overview.html in the Documentation folder.
  • The overview tab now displays the proper status of the charge port door and shows whether the charging cable is connected.
  • There were cases where auto refreshes never happened. They were scheduled for 300M years into the future rather than 15 seconds. That's fixed.
  • Some code cleanup with no user-visible changes.
  • The location tab no longer re-centers the map upon refresh. If, however, you pan the map such that the car marker is not visible, it will pan the map just enough to make sure the marker is showing.

All of the sources for both the app and the underlying client library are in Github. I still need to apply an appropriate open source license to all of the files.

VisibleTesla 0.15 can be downloaded here.
The charger cable/port looks OK now, but my odometer info at the bottom of the Overview tab says, "Odometer: …"

I also made a self contained bundled clickable app for this version for Mac OS X and made it available for download. It's not supposed to need Java installed, but I haven't tested on any other machines, since they all have Java already.

.15 appears to have a bug on the location tab... Shows my car at what may be your residence, so you may want to pull this version down for now. Worked fine in .13 (last I tried...).

Edit: clicking the "Browse" button sends the correct pin point to Google Maps in my browser. Looks like the jar just isn't updating the actual location/maps in the app...

.15 appears to have a bug on the location tab... Shows my car at what may be your residence, so you may want to pull this version down for now. Worked fine in .13 (last I tried...).

Edit: clicking the "Browse" button sends the correct pin point to Google Maps in my browser. Looks like the jar just isn't updating the actual location/maps in the app...

ZBB, would you please pull down 0.15 again? I accidentally put up a test version of the jar that had a fixed location hard coded. I replaced it with the proper version.

I have a spoiler on my car, but it does not appear in VisibleTesla, but it does appear in the iOS app.

Visible Tesla:
Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 12-Aug 11.08.22 PM.png

iOS app:
IMG_0072.PNG

When clicking the Details button, I get the following Perfomance Options:

Code:
Performance Options: [
       Performance: true
       Performance+: false
       Performance Exterior: false
       Performance Powertrain: true
    ]

It's probably the Performance Exterior: false that's causing this. Since I had the spoiler installed after my delivery, maybe they forgot to update the internal settings.

Also, a small item is that the charge port door does not appear in exactly the same position as in the iOS app.

Do you plan on adding logging of telemetry info or historical vehicle info to this app? Something compatible with teslams perhaps?

I'll be happy to help with that (I contributed logging to a database in teslams). The issue is that the app that does the logging needs to run 24/7.

I think it might be smarter to have VisualTesla connect to the existing database. Right now I implemented some data visualization in JavaScript for teslams, but having that as part of a Java app (that has a very attractive design) might be a much better direction.

Right now the database only stores the streaming data. If there is more that we should store, I'll be happy to add that.