TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

VisibleTesla

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jpasqua, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MrSniffer

MrSniffer Member

I tried V0.16 w my Mod S with spoiler. It does **not** display, whereas the Android Tesla app does display it.

2. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

Hmm. If you'd be willing to help me out a bit, I would like to send you a separate program that will give you a dump of what the car is saying it has. If you could send that to me, I can use it to debug my code. Out of curiosity, was your spoiler installed at the factory, or after the fact?

3. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

#63 araxara, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    It displays the spoiler with the trunk closed, but the spoiler is not at the back edge of the trunk:
    Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 15-Aug 7.59.02 PM.png

With the trunk open, it displays a floating spoiler in the original spoiler position:
    Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 15-Aug 7.49.28 PM.png

When the trunk is closed, a residual spoiler remains in the air and the spoiler is still not at the edge of the trunk:
    Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 15-Aug 7.55.28 PM.png

4. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

Thanks @araxara. The "floaters" are the result of a typo and are fixed.

Since I don't have a spoiler and can't see how the iOS app renders it, I went based on the screen capture from iOS that you posted here: #36

It looks reasonably similar to me - neither is at the back edge of the trunk. I'm happy to move it to where it should be (or where it looks best). Let me know.

I'm in the midst of adding the charge-percent controls so I don't have a stable version of the fix for you to test at the moment but I should fairly soon.

5. araxara

I guess the iOS app is wrong! Here is a section of the spoiler from the design studio (http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/configurator/MODELS_20130801/1270/UI/ui_option_spoiler_carbon_1_large.jpg), which is also how it's installed on my car:
    Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 15-Aug 9.17.19 PM.png

6. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

Excellent! I will move it and try to make it look as much like this as possible.

7. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Want to let you know that this came in handy in my Boston office yesterday. The cell coverage there is miserable and it was great to be able to check my charge activity and rated range directly from the desktop. Especially since it was a 340 mile day trip. Thanks for the effort.

8. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

Glad to hear it. Thanks.

9. CalDreamin

CalDreamin Member

Thank you jpasqua for making this app. I love it!

For "# Range Charges" it says my car's count is 0. I've done 2 range charges, both were about a month ago. Is there a glitch in the app, or is Tesla not recording the range charge count correctly?

10. hans

hans P631

That value is for # of Consecutive Range Charges not total lifetime range charges. I believe after 3 in a row there is an additional warning that appears to discourage continuous charging to 100%.

11. CalDreamin

CalDreamin Member

Thanks hans. The two range charges I did were consecutive, so I could make a round trip from the SF Bay area to Fresno. I range charged before leaving home, and ranged charged at a Fresno RV park to get home.

12. hans

hans P631

A few consecutive range charges are not a problem. Tesla is just trying to avoid the situation where someone doesn't know their car is set to range charge every night or they claim to be unaware that it effects the life of the battery.

If you had checked the value after your second range charge it would have been 2. After the first standard charge the counter is reset to 0.

13. dlmorgan999

dlmorgan999 Member

#73 dlmorgan999, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    I just decided to give this a whirl but unfortunately I was unable to log in. I don't get any error - the app just crunches for a second and then puts focus back in the "User Name" textbox.

I have an 18 character randomly generated password that contains several symbols. Could this possibly be the issue?

14. CalDreamin

CalDreamin Member

OK, I get it now. Thank you hans.

15. araxara

Build error because jfxtras download fails

The command listed in GitHub to download jfxtras fails because the file is no longer available:

Code:
    curl -s -O https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/jfxtras/jfxtras-labs/2.2-r6-SNAPSHOT/jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20130703.085215-2.jar
    The most current file is

Code:
    [URL="https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/jfxtras/jfxtras-labs/2.2-r6-SNAPSHOT/jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20130815.133831-3.jar"]jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20130815.133831-3.jar[/URL]
    With the newest file, you'll need to update the NetBeans project settings. Maybe the project settings can reference an alias to the latest downloaded file so they don't have to be updated constantly (this is what I did):

Code:
    curl -s -O https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/jfxtras/jfxtras-labs/2.2-r6-SNAPSHOT/jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20130815.133831-3.jar >jfxtras-labs-2.2.jar
    ln -s jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20130815.133831-3.jar fxtras-labs-2.2.jar
    Code builds fine with latest jfxtras.

16. JoshG

JoshG Member

this is fantastic! Thank you for your efforts.

I'm not a developer... does Java permit functions like auto-update to latest version? or at least a check for whether there's a newer version and notifies user that there's a new one?

17. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

@JoshG: Thanks. There isn't anything built into Java itself for auto-updating to the latest version of an app, but it's totally do-able on top of Java. That's a good suggestion for the future.

@araxara: Thanks for letting me know. I'll take care of it and use a link as suggested.

@CalDreamin: @hans explained it just right. I've tested and found that it does in fact count up by one for each consecutive range charge and reset to 0 when a standard charge is done.

@dlmorgan999: I haven't seen this before but I suspect it could be a problem with the symbols. I haven't had trouble with the symbols I've tried, but I'll look into it. It could easily be a problem with the way the password is being URL-encoded.

18. dlmorgan999

dlmorgan999 Member

Thanks. :)

I changed the password to be purely alphanumeric and it's working now. It's not a big deal to me, but I figured I would at least report it.

19. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

Now that you've changed your password, can you tell me whether your old one included any of these symbols? @ % &

No worries if you're not comfortable sharing that.

20. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

Experimental Version 0.17a1

There is an experimental version of VisibleTesla here: VisibleTesla 0.17a1

I am using this version, but it hasn't had enough testing for "general release". Consequently, I won't update the first post of the thread to indicate a new version is available quite yet. Most of the significant changes are under the hood, but there are some changes in the UI. If you want to take a walk on the wild side, feel free to give it a try.

Changes:

• Under-the-covers
      • Build files have small updates
      • Readme.md updated to reflect changes to downloads for jfxtras library
      • Protection against runaway requests to the Tesla web portal. If you hit refresh over and over again in rapid succession, you will notice a delay as the underlying library throttles your activity. This also protects against bugs in the code.
      • Simplification of the underlying code that underlies the tabs
    • User-Visible
      • Fixes to the spoiler support. Get rid of "floaters" reported by @araxara. Move the spoiler to reflect the actual position on the car as opposed to where the iPhone app shows it
      • Add support for charge percentages. Support is conditional on the car's firmware version. If it is not up to the right version, only standard and max settings are allowed.
      • Documentation has been updated and extended in some areas.
      • Several minor UI elements have been updated. Some ToggleButtons were changed to regular buttons. They no longer indicate state. They are just commands.
      • On the overview tab, the car's elements (eg wheel type, odometer reading, door state) still update as data becomes available, but the spinner should remain spinning until all data becomes available.

Oddities that I've noticed:
    • When the car is plugged in, the charge code on the Overview Tab may appear, disappear, and then re-appear. I can't reproduce it and I'm not sure why yet. If you notice this too, please let me know.