Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for this app. I have firmware 5.0 and can verify that it works for me. I just started a charge from my Mac and am tracking the increase in Rated Miles. Is there any way that this app can display data which is not currently shown on the car itself? I would love to see cumulative KwH and wH/mi since I bought my car. The Tesla service center had to "reset the gateway" (whatever that means) after about 4 months and my car lost all its data -- trip info, HomeLink, favorite stations, etc... so I don't have cumulative energy consumption information.

@jpasqua, Just downloaded v0.17c and each version is getting better. pardon me if these have already been suggested.
1. when I log in is it possible to switch to the overview tab. I know you have the "logged in as" but that would be a clearer indication that something happened.
2. on my HVAC it shows 0'F for inside and outside temps. hitting refresh does not populate these. (must be a cold day here in Hawaii)
3. what about a charge graph (since logged in) showing the charge/discharge history. this would make a nice way to track vampire loss and charge rate over time.

I prefer to put my laptop to sleep at night. Would the app be able to reset the charging start time in the car? If so, maybe it could do that periodically and have done it before my laptop goes to sleep. I don't know what the API supports.:

What kind of laptop do you have? I figured out how to setup my Mac to wake up from sleep mode at a scheduled time and then run a script to turn on the cars charger with the REST API. The laptop then goes back to sleep. I used this setup successfully for months before Tesla added the start timer in the car.

MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011). OS-X 10.8.4

Sorry for posting this in VisibleTesla thread but it might help with just about any tool or script running on a Mac.

I use launchd for scheduling, which is the replacement for cron (which will skip running when in sleep mode).

The following is my start_charger.plist file (needed to configure launchd). Edit it to have the right UserName, Program, Minute, and Hour for your intended use.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" \
  "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Label</key>
  <string>start_charger</string>
  <key>UserName</key>
  <string>hans</string>
  <key>Program</key>
  <string>/Users/hans/bin/start_charging.sh</string>
  <key>StartCalendarInterval</key>
  <dict>
    <key>Minute</key>
    <integer>00</integer>
    <key>Hour</key>
    <integer>21</integer>
  </dict>
  <key>Debug</key>
  <false/>
  <key>AbandonProcessGroup</key>
  <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

It calls my start_charging.sh script at 2100 hours (9pm). Edit this to have your script to start the charger (or whatever). My example uses the teslacmd.js program from the teslams tools only because I eat my own cooking ;-)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/node /Users/hans/teslams/examples/teslacmd.js -u [email protected] -p password -C start

Configure launchd using the launchctl command, which goes something like the following:

Code:
$ launchctl load start_charger.plist

And one more thing....

The wakeup at 9pm (or whatever). Go to System Preferences -> Energy. Click the "Schedule" button in the lower right corner. Check "Start up or wake" and configure the wake time to coincide with the time the script will be run.

You should be good to go. Wait until the appointed Hour and Minute and see if it works!

Last edited:
WSE51: Thanks for testing with Firmware 5.0. There has been a report that the app has trouble starting when the car is in sleep mode. Please let me know if this happens to you. I probably won't be able to debug until I get 5.0. I would also love to see cumulative KwH and wH/mi since I bought my car. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to get that information. If someone ever finds a way, I'll be sure to add it.

dsmith2189: Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I could have it switch to the Overview Tab automatically after login. Maybe I'll make this a preference or a checkbox or something. As for the 0 degree temperatures, that is also an artifact of the APIs. The car doesn't always report temperatures. You can force it to do so by turning on the HVAC. It will start reporting temperatures and keep reporting them for some indeterminate amount of time. Maybe I'll replace the 0 with an ellipsis or something. I'll also add this to the doc. I like the charge graph idea. It's on the list!

clea: I know about the passenger side wheel problem, but I don't have a good idea for how to fix it. It's going to require someone who is meticulous with Photoshop to fix this. The problem is that the set of images I have are from the iPhone app. It not only doesn't contain the right images, it has the transparent body image covering parts of the passenger side wheels. I'm wide open to suggestions for how to approach this problem.

hans: Maybe I should think about creating a scheduler UI in VisibleTesla that allows people to schedule tasks to be performed with teslams. Hmm. Might get system dependent pretty fast...

Hello Klaus. Would you be willing to try a different version to capture some debugging information for me? If so, I'll send you a new download link and ask you to send me the output from the details dialog of the Overview Tab. Thanks.

@jpasqua, Just downloaded v0.17c. Thanks very much for that great piece of software!
Minor nitpick feedback: My MS 60 shows up with a spoiler, which I don't have ...

For Klaus or anyone else who might be seeing a spoiler in the app when they don't have one on the car (or vice versa), please download this test version to help me diagnose the problem. Start he app as usual and press the "Details" button on the overview tab. In the dialog box that pops up, select the text all the way to the very end which will read "Has Spoiler: ". Copy it and PM me the results. Please expunge your VIN before sending. I'll try to get a fix out as soon as I can isolate the problem. Thanks.

Looks to me like there is a possible inconsistency in the visual display of the car which is, in principle, unavoidable. I was checking out the presence of the spoiler element using VT when I discovered that my Tesla (Android) app indeed correctly displays the spoiler. But my actual in car displays don't display it!! My car is now in for service, and they will flip the bit in the console for me, and sort this out.

Appears as if VT is using the configuration info as stored in the car, and the Tesla app is using info in the Tesla portal itself, which are not guaranteed to be in sync. I am pretty sure this can happen with other cosmetic features, such as the color of the wheels.

jpasqua said:

WSE51: Thanks for testing with Firmware 5.0. There has been a report that the app has trouble starting when the car is in sleep mode. Please let me know if this happens to you. I probably won't be able to debug until I get 5.0. I would also love to see cumulative KwH and wH/mi since I bought my car. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to get that information. If someone ever finds a way, I'll be sure to add it.

My reply -- at least tonight, I had no trouble getting your app to work even though my car was asleep. When I first tested your app, my car was in its usual garage and connected via WiFi. Tonight it was in a different location, and no WiFi available. This morning it took me 5 tries to get the iPhone app to contact the car. My guess is that the problem is not with your app but with the process of waking up the car when it is in deep sleep, and that your app and the iPhone app will have equal difficultly.

For Klaus or anyone else who might be seeing a spoiler in the app when they don't have one on the car (or vice versa), please download this test version to help me diagnose the problem. Start he app as usual and press the "Details" button on the overview tab. In the dialog box that pops up, select the text all the way to the very end which will read "Has Spoiler: ". Copy it and PM me the results. Please expunge your VIN before sending. I'll try to get a fix out as soon as I can isolate the problem. Thanks.

Sent PM re erroneous spoiler.

Looks to me like there is a possible inconsistency in the visual display of the car which is, in principle, unavoidable. I was checking out the presence of the spoiler element using VT when I discovered that my Tesla (Android) app indeed correctly displays the spoiler. But my actual in car displays don't display it!! My car is now in for service, and they will flip the bit in the console for me, and sort this out.

Appears as if VT is using the configuration info as stored in the car, and the Tesla app is using info in the Tesla portal itself, which are not guaranteed to be in sync. I am pretty sure this can happen with other cosmetic features, such as the color of the wheels.

Confirming my suspicion, above.

Just got my car back, with the in-car bit flipped to indicate I have the carbon fiber spoiler installed. FW# is 1.35.102. Checked with V0.17c. Now it correctly shows the spoiler on the graphic displays. Hurray!

Hey MrSniffer. I'm glad it's working for you now. I still have reports of the spoiler showing up on cars that don't have a spoiler. What's odd is that VisibleTesla correctly determines that there is no spoiler, but displays it anyway. I can't get it to happen on my car. I'm going to try a friend's Model S to see if I have any luck.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to think about the request to display graphs of various information while the app is running. Below is a snapshot of some very early prototype work. This is showing the charge voltage (top line in yellow), estimated range (middle line in blue), and charge current (bottom line in green).

Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 10.49.14 PM.png

You can mouse-down anywhere in the chart area and drag to scroll the view. Rolling the mouse wheel up or down scales the time axis so you can see a broader span of time or zoom in on a shorter time frame. The data is logged to a file. Next time you start the app it will load the old contents and start logging new values.

It collects a new set of data samples periodically. During prototyping I'm changing this to suite the type of test I'm doing. I've had it at 20 seconds up to 5 minutes. I'm thinking of having it poll for new data every minute when the graph tab is selected and every 5 minutes otherwise.

I plan to collect other data - I just started with these. I'll have a popup (or drop down or something out of the way) to allow you to select which variables are displayed at any given time. It will also have a legend.

If it's possible, I will implement a hover feature so if you place the mouse over a point on one of the lines, it will display the value at that point. I'm not sure how practical it will be to do that with JavaFX, but I'll put it in if I can.

The code is very crude at this point, but I think I've done enough to believe it's a viable new function that I will flesh out.

I'm starting to think about the request to display graphs of various information while the app is running. Below is a snapshot of some very early prototype work. This is showing the charge voltage (top line in yellow), estimated range (middle line in blue), and charge current (bottom line in green).
[snip]w function that I will flesh out.

!! excellent !!

this is so needed and useful and i thank you again for devoting the time and sharing with all of us.

(not to kill the golden goose, but you should consider monetizing this somewhat, at least allow a donation link somewhere, so we can support something officially that is so welcome and handy..)

View attachment 29060
I really like that idea. See the visualizations I'm doing as part of the teslams project over in the visualization thread - I think I have quite a few useful graphs already...
The data is logged to a file. Next time you start the app it will load the old contents and start logging new values.
This part I wonder about. You'll run your JavaFX app likely on your laptop or desktop system. At least if it's the laptop, that's in the car with you when driving in many cases. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate program to collect the data? As I mentioned earlier here, the teslam tools simply store all of the telemetry data in a data base - you can even remotely access that database... Have you considered connecting to a data source like that instead of trying to have the client app do the data collection while it is running?