Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm running version 28.01 and I noticed you mentioned 50.06. Checking the dropbox links and also your website it shows only version 28. The app also says no newer updates are available. Am I missing something?
Also, the app has stopped recording my trips, prompting me to be searching for the new version. I am still getting my scheduled emails and the app seems connected to my car okay.
Thanks.

I'm running version 28.01 and I noticed you mentioned 50.06. Checking the dropbox links and also your website it shows only version 28. The app also says no newer updates are available. Am I missing something?
Also, the app has stopped recording my trips, prompting me to be searching for the new version. I am still getting my scheduled emails and the app seems connected to my car okay.
Thanks.

This post has the link to the version you are looking for: VisibleTesla - Page 174

This post explains the background: VisibleTesla - Page 154

Thanks.

Tesla is moving users to their new servers a little at a time. These servers are incompatible with VisibleTesla. There is a newer experimental version of VT you can try if you are willing to accept the caveats. You can read about the context here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...eTesla/page154?p=848346&viewfull=1#post848346

And you can read about the new version here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...eTesla/page174?p=939004&viewfull=1#post939004

Please read about the potential negative side effects of using the new version before deciding to try it. The current version is 0.50.07, but it is not offered automatically to users of the current version because of the potential side effects.

Joe

Joe, you might want to consider updating the first post with the latest info on the new servers and test builds and such. At 189 pages, this is clearly a pretty serious thread and it seems like every page there's a re-discussion and linking to the relevant posts because the number of pages is daunting to new/old users. Just a suggestion.

I'm currently running 0.50.06 and have noticed that geofencing exit notifications are working for my work location, but not my home.

I set the home location when the car was parked in garage and used that current position. My work location I used by entering an address.

Any thoughts?

Again thanks for a great program Joe... and particularly for all the effort in the revamp when Tesla changed the game on you... I, for one, have had no issues with throttling or access, and the new version has worked great... I'm hopeful that this means VT still has a life ahead of it.

I'm currently running 0.50.06 and have noticed that geofencing exit notifications are working for my work location, but not my home.

I set the home location when the car was parked in garage and used that current position. My work location I used by entering an address.

Any thoughts?

Again thanks for a great program Joe... and particularly for all the effort in the revamp when Tesla changed the game on you... I, for one, have had no issues with throttling or access, and the new version has worked great... I'm hopeful that this means VT still has a life ahead of it.

Could it be this:

VisibleTesla - Page 184

I've identified a really odd bug in version 0.50.06 for Windows. I have no idea if this bug exists in other versions.

In geofencing, the third possible defined area in the right column--the column for "Car Left Area" actually reports when the car enters that area.

The first, second, and fourth work correctly.

If so, thanks to breser and jpasqua, the issue is resolved in version 0.50.07.

I don't think so, as I only have the first two areas defined...and I don't get a notification when I enter my home-defined geofenced area either, so it doesn't appear to be "reversed".

Thanks though, I had missed that from earlier...

This is a long shot, but could VT be in "Allow Sleeping" mode, only checking the car every 30 minutes, when you leave home? If that's the case, the car would wake up, but VT may not know about it immediately.

There are a few other things you should know about Allow Sleeping mode:
  • When the app goes into this mode it does not (and can not) put the car to sleep. It simply stops doing anything that would otherwise keep it from sleeping.
  • Even while the app is sleeping, it checks the car periodically to see if it is awake. This check will not wake up a sleeping car. If it is awake, VisibleTesla will collect some data but then remember not to bother the car again for 30 minutes. That's enough time for it to go to sleep if it wants. If, after collecting this data, the app notices that not only is the car awake, but it is moving or charging, it won't wait another 30 minutes to check back in. It will continue to speak to the car regularly until motion or charging stop.

This is a long shot, but could VT be in "Allow Sleeping" mode, only checking the car every 30 minutes, when you leave home? If that's the case, the car would wake up, but VT may not know about it immediately.

There are a few other things you should know about Allow Sleeping mode:
  • When the app goes into this mode it does not (and can not) put the car to sleep. It simply stops doing anything that would otherwise keep it from sleeping.
  • Even while the app is sleeping, it checks the car periodically to see if it is awake. This check will not wake up a sleeping car. If it is awake, VisibleTesla will collect some data but then remember not to bother the car again for 30 minutes. That's enough time for it to go to sleep if it wants. If, after collecting this data, the app notices that not only is the car awake, but it is moving or charging, it won't wait another 30 minutes to check back in. It will continue to speak to the car regularly until motion or charging stop.

I do, however:

1) I do get notifications when I leave work, even thought sometimes delayed likely due to VT being idle: yesterday I left about 5:10 PM... VT sent me the geofence leave notification 18 minutes later at 5:18. The previous day it was just over 20 mins.

2) I never get home notifications at all.. even delayed ones.

VT Web Pages Dont Display on Car's Web Browser

I can access Visible Tesla's Web Pages outside of my home network, via either port forwarding or SSL VPN. All works fine from my work PC and from my iPad (3G/LTE). I can access both preset pages like /pages/VehicleStatus.html and custom pages I have built.

However, when I am in the car, I can't access any of the VT web pages (preset or custom) via either port forwarding or SSL VPN. I simply get a blank screen.

What's special about the VT web page that the Tesla browser doesn't like?

Thanks!

Last few times I've tried to open VT, I get an error box saying "could not create java virtual machine." Is that related to the server issues or something else?

Are you launching it with the bundled JVM, or are you relying on the host system Java installation?

The easiest way to ensure you are doing that is to use the batch file included with VT to create a desktop shortcut... launching from that shortcut will ensure you are using the bundled JVM.

Are you launching it with the bundled JVM, or are you relying on the host system Java installation?

The easiest way to ensure you are doing that is to use the batch file included with VT to create a desktop shortcut... launching from that shortcut will ensure you are using the bundled JVM.
In English? :smile:

The shortcut points to vtrunner.bat. It used to work, but stopped about a week ago.

In English? :smile:

The shortcut points to vtrunner.bat. It used to work, but stopped about a week ago.

That should be the right way to do it.

A reboot wouldn't hurt.

The other issue I've seen in insufficient memory available... the JVM can eat up up to half a GB of RAM when running... do you have lots of other stuff open on your machine?

Have 8G RAM and not much running. A reboot of the car or computer? I turn the computer off every night and restart in the AM.

I was referring to computer... there's no real dependency on the car for the Java virtual machine to initialize.

The only other thing I can think of is if a recent computer update installed a version of Java that interferes with the one bundled with VT.

Looking for any installs of Java in the "Add/remove programs" control panel and uninstalling it and then rebooting might be an interesting test.

I've read through all posts I could find on compiling, that helped me resolve all (quite a bit) of dependencies, but now this error stops me, and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm hoping some of you could point me in the right direction?

TeslaClient compiled with 0 errors.
VisibleTesla zero errors, except this one at the end:

Created dir: F:\Prog\VisibleTesla dev\Tesla\VisibleTesla\dist
F:\Prog\VisibleTesla dev\Tesla\VisibleTesla\nbproject\jfx-impl.xml:3432: The following error occurred while executing this line:
F:\Prog\VisibleTesla dev\Tesla\VisibleTesla\nbproject\jfx-impl.xml:1135: The following error occurred while executing this line:
F:\Prog\VisibleTesla dev\Tesla\VisibleTesla\nbproject\jfx-impl.xml:1212: Warning: Could not find resource file "F:\Prog\VisibleTesla dev\Tesla\VisibleTesla\C" to copy.
BUILD FAILED (total time: 14 seconds)

I'm using Netbeans IDE 7.4, Windows 8.1, jdk1.7.0_79. Never used netbeans, and not a Java developer so any pointers are much welcome.

Not sure if this is the right thread for development, not very interesting for users I suppose. Let me know if there's a better place to discuss this:

I'm experimenting with adding consumption to the trip details, to be able to monitor the consumption across different weather, tires, firmwares etc.

I added these lines into TripController.java (+ definitions + some layout adjustments)

double tripLength=end.getOdo()-start.getOdo();
updateStartEndProps(comsumptionRow, 0.0, (power*1000.0)/(tripLength*cvt),1.0);

However it seems the power is calculated from the accumulated power use from trip waypoints. On some trips it seems pretty accurate, on others it's completely off. If the waypoints only contain momentary snapshots of power usage this should be way more off than it seems - and totally unusable.

Is there another way we could calculate power with absolute values at start and end? Do we know how to calculate power from range or SOC or range?

The idea behind this was to see if we can get some numbers close to the ones in the car display after a trip, but this way we got all historic data for all trips stored in VT, which would be great.