Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes,

If I had the time, I'd do that. I think it's the way to go. For the moment you can access limited features of VT in a browser, including the in-car browser. You'll need to forward a port on your router as you mentioned. Check the docs for details.

Joe

Joe. I can't get VT to work on the in-car browser. Works on any other browser (outside of the house, naturally). Any idea? Thanks much.

Hi, new to this thread and the desktop app. I couldn't find within the thread any questions about the "details" when you click that button. A few things are incorrect in here, but I am wondering if they are just errors in the app? For example:

- battery is reported at 70KwH not the 85KwH that my P85D has.
- some things like parking sensors etc are marked as "false" when they should be "true"

Is there something I should be doing like editing this information?

Thanks

If you would send me the low level details from the Details dialog, I'll try to figure out what's happening. Thanks.

...very frustrating that my earlier post from a week ago got lost/never appeared in this thread, so I will give it another try:

Living in the Netherlands we use the metric system. That is correctly shown in Visible Tesla, we even chose to override the ‘from car’ setting and put METRIC here (to see if that would solve the problem described below):

in the Trips tab the entries below ‘Map it!’ (the records) are shown in MILES, and in the little table to the bottom right corner the properties Range (km) and Odometer (km) are also shown in miles, not in km! The same when I click on Map It!: here the graph below the speed is shown in mph instead of km/h and the elevation is shown in feet instead of meters.

For all American users this bug is not visible, but we Europeans would love to have this bug fixed J

One more thing: In the Prefs tab we put the Overview Range Type on ‘Ideal’ – just like we use in the car and see the range on the I-phone app. On the Overview tab this works correct, but in the graph the range is shown as RATED instead of (the chosen) IDEAL. Don’t know whether this is a bug, but we would love to see the chosen Range type on every spot where the information on the range is displayed.

Compliments to Joe and all who helped to develop this fine software !!!

Kind regards

Sabine

- - - Updated - - -

...very frustrating that my earlier post from a week ago got lost/never appeared in this thread, so I will give it another try:

Living in the Netherlands we use the metric system. That is correctly shown in Visible Tesla, we even chose to override the ‘from car’ setting and put METRIC here (to see if that would solve the problem described below):

in the Trips tab the entries below ‘Map it!’ (the records) are shown in MILES, and in the little table to the bottom right corner the properties Range (km) and Odometer (km) are also shown in miles, not in km! The same when I click on Map It!: here the graph below the speed is shown in mph instead of km/h and the elevation is shown in feet instead of meters.

For all American users this bug is not visible, but we Europeans would love to have this bug fixed J

One more thing: In the Prefs tab we put the Overview Range Type on ‘Ideal’ – just like we use in the car and see the range on the I-phone app. On the Overview tab this works correct, but in the graph the range is shown as RATED instead of (the chosen) IDEAL. Don’t know whether this is a bug, but we would love to see the chosen Range type on every spot where the information on the range is displayed.

Kind regards

Sabine

forgot to mention that we are using version 0.50.07 and that I had used "Go Advanced" for my 'lost post' instead of quick reply...

Hi Joe & Ben,

Do you guys know if there's a way to include the estimated charge time remaining in an email notification?

When I get to work in the morning and plug in, I get a message that the car started charging with a certain SOC and range.
However, more useful to me would be to know the ETA to charge completion (to the given charge limit) so I know when to unplug and move my car to allow others to charge.

I know I can get that information in VT or using the official Tesla mobile app, but it would be nice to know as soon as I plug in without having to open other apps.

Thanks,
-Marc

- - - Reply to MarcG - - -
Hi Joe & Ben,

Do you guys know if there's a way to include the estimated charge time remaining in an email notification?

When I get to work in the morning and plug in, I get a message that the car started charging with a certain SOC and range.
However, more useful to me would be to know the ETA to charge completion (to the given charge limit) so I know when to unplug and move my car to allow others to charge.

I know I can get that information in VT or using the official Tesla mobile app, but it would be nice to know as soon as I plug in without having to open other apps.

Thanks,
-Marc

You can use the variable {{TIME_TO_FULL}} to see how much time remains. From the documentation:
{{TIME_TO_FULL}}: The amount of time left until the current charge completes. If there is not a charge in progress, TIME_TO_FULL will be zero. This is formatted as HH:MM:SS (hours:minutes:seconds).​

This doesn't give you the time when the charge will be complete. It gives you the amount of time until the charge will be complete. You have to do the math yourself. It's easy for me to add a CHARGE_ETA if there is interest.

Joe

- - - Reply to epszp - - -

Kind regards

Sabine

- - - Updated - - -

forgot to mention that we are using version 0.50.07 and that I had used "Go Advanced" for my 'lost post' instead of quick reply...

The fix for this is in github already for anyone who makes their own builds. It will be in the next version I release.

- - - Please read if your UUID is c4191e88b9a211849fecf0437b73982495042ca49bbad9557df483bb0fa2208e - - -

If your uuid is: c4191e88b9a211849fecf0437b73982495042ca49bbad9557df483bb0fa2208e, I would appreciate it if you would provide me some information.

You can do this anonymously using the web form here. You can also PM me or email me, but that will not preserve the anonymity of the UUID.

You have an extremely high rate of failed API calls. This is probably because your car is parked in a place without wifi or cellular service, but if that's not the case, I'd like to understand what's going on.

Thanks,
Joe

It's easy for me to add a CHARGE_ETA if there is interest.

Thanks,
Joe

I have interest... I assume that you can discern the current rate the car is charging at (either reported by the car or extrapolating form voltage/current?).

The real value to a boatload of folks here would be if that ETA could then become the target for a scheduled charge. I.e- calculate the anticipated charge rate based on current pilot current/voltage and, based on SOC, start charging so it COMPLETES by a specified time.

Apparently such capability is available on cars like the Leaf, and I've seen a number of folks here clamoring for Tesla to include such in their charge scheduling.

Thanks as always for listening and continuing to provide such a valuable app, Joe. Have a good weekend.

VisibleTesla has a built-in web server that exposes a few options to control the app and can generate simple web pages that represent some aspects of the car state. This has been around for a while and is documented here:

To access this web server outside of the network where VisibleTesla is running[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, sans-serif], you must manually set up port forwarding or use other methods. This is for experienced network users only.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some people who are successfully using this mechanism on remote networks have expressed difficulty accessing them from the web browser in their car. The Model S browser has a few "weaknesses". One of them is that it will not pop up a username/password dialog when a site requires credentials, and VisibleTesla does. The only way around this (that I've found) is to encode the username/password into the URL when requesting the page. For example:
[/FONT]
http://VT:[email protected]:9090/custom/nc_Overview.html

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOTE that this is not the same username/password you use to log into [/FONT]VisibleTesla. It is a separate set of credentials for just this purpose.

- - - Reply to MarcG - - -

You can use the variable {{TIME_TO_FULL}} to see how much time remains. From the documentation:
{{TIME_TO_FULL}}: The amount of time left until the current charge completes. If there is not a charge in progress, TIME_TO_FULL will be zero. This is formatted as HH:MM:SS (hours:minutes:seconds).​

This doesn't give you the time when the charge will be complete. It gives you the amount of time until the charge will be complete. You have to do the math yourself. It's easy for me to add a CHARGE_ETA if there is interest.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Since there is only one message option for all charge notifications, if I customize it to include TIME_TO_FULL, will all the notification types use the same message?

I guess I'm a little confused on how to set it up such that only the Starting or Charging notification includes the custom TIME_TO_FULL parameter, not the other notifications (such as Disconnected, Complete, etc.) for which TIME_TO_FULL doesn't make sense.

Thanks again for your support!

Thanks Joe. Since there is only one message option for all charge notifications, if I customize it to include TIME_TO_FULL, will all the notification types use the same message?

I guess I'm a little confused on how to set it up such that only the Starting or Charging notification includes the custom TIME_TO_FULL parameter, not the other notifications (such as Disconnected, Complete, etc.) for which TIME_TO_FULL doesn't make sense.

It will be included in all charge notifications and will typically be the current time. I added the code and did a test today. Below is a text notification I received when the charge state became "Disconnected". Note that TTF (time to full) is 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds. ETA is just calculated as the current time + TTF, so in this case it just shows the current time.

IMG_0703.PNG

It will be included in all charge notifications and will typically be the current time. I added the code and did a test today. Below is a text notification I received when the charge state became "Disconnected". Note that TTF (time to full) is 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds. ETA is just calculated as the current time + TTF, so in this case it just shows the current time.

View attachment 81829

Thanks Joe. Yeah I played with it a bunch yesterday, and found that when that charge state is not "charging", the time-to-full is either 0:00:00 or some large amount. For example, I plugged in late afternoon with the charge timer set to midnight, and the time-to-full said 6:40:00 (it was 5:49pm).

Anyway, no worries I will just ignore it when the charge state is not "charging".

Is the ETA field new code or can I use it with the existing VT version I have (0.50.07)?

EDIT: oh I see, you can simply add TIME_TO_FULL to TIME, which is an existing variable that tells the current time, to get the ETA value. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:
Thanks Joe. Yeah I played with it a bunch yesterday, and found that when that charge state is not "charging", the time-to-full is either 0:00:00 or some large amount. For example, I plugged in late afternoon with the charge timer set to midnight, and the time-to-full said 6:40:00 (it was 5:49pm).

Anyway, no worries I will just ignore it when the charge state is not "charging".

Is the ETA field new code or can I use it with the existing VT version I have (0.50.07)?

EDIT: oh I see, you can simply add TIME_TO_FULL to TIME, which is an existing variable that tells the current time, to get the ETA value. Is that what you mean?

The ETA field is new code.

The ETA field is new code.

So I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but I thought I'd share, to perhaps make things easier and/or clearer.

If you like the information you currently get in the default charge state notifications, but want to add the "Time To Full", you can just click the little "+" next to "Charge State Becomes", uncheck "use default values" at the bottom, and then copy and paste the following into the message body field:

Time: {{TIME}}
Time To Complete Charging: {{TIME_TO_FULL}}
Charge State: {{CHARGE_STATE}}
SOC: {{SOC}}
Range: {{RATED}}
Estimated Range: {{ESTIMATED}}
Ideal Range: {{IDEAL}}

You can change the language if you like, or leave out some of the above if you want to, but the ones above are what VT had as the defaults. I just added Time at the top, followed by Time To Full.

Also, if you leave the subject blank, the same subject that VT had been using by default will be used.

Below are the last two notification messages I received in the above format:

--
Subject: Charge State: Charging

Time: 01:03:55
Time To Complete Charging: 00:40:00
Charge State: Charging
SOC: 79
Range: 202.8
Estimated Range: 229.7
Ideal Range: 261.9

Subject: Charge State: Complete

Time: 01:43:55
Time To Complete Charging: 00:00:00
Charge State: Complete
SOC: 90
Range: 228.9
Estimated Range: 259.2
Ideal Range: 295.6

I'm a new user to Visible Tesla, but had a thought that I didn't see addressed in the documentation. Is there a way to do "Scheduler Calendar Exceptions"? Right now I have the car scheduled to turn on HVAC at 7 a.m., 11:50 a.m. and 4:50 p.m. on work days, MTuWThF. Calendar Exceptions would permit someone to come into the program and put specific dates for this to not happen.

In my case, Calendar Exceptions would be New Year's Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, 7/3/15 (the 4th is on Saturday this year), Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Friday, Christmas, Boxing Day.

Thanks.

Sorry if this is obvious, but I haven't played around with VT too much. Is it possible to send a reminder email or other notification if it is 10:00pm and my car is at home and it is not plugged in? Or even ignore the at home condition?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I haven't played around with VT too much. Is it possible to send a reminder email or other notification if it is 10:00pm and my car is at home and it is not plugged in? Or even ignore the at home condition?

Yes, my car sends me a note every night at 11pm if it isn't plugged in. You can also get emails on leaving geofenced areas, exceeding specific speeds, charge state changes, or SoC above/below thresholds...