Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've recently upgraded to windows 10. Not sure if related, but the map (location tab) is acting up. It seems that the map is showing correctly at startup, sometimes I have to zoom a bit to wake it up. But when the car starts moving, the map edges scrolling in are just gray, no map.

Anyone have a solution?

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to windows 10. Not sure if related, but the map (location tab) is acting up. It seems that the map is showing correctly at startup, sometimes I have to zoom a bit to wake it up. But when the car starts moving, the map edges scrolling in are just gray, no map.

Anyone have a solution?

I'm having the same issue on my Mac, but even worse: I get no maps to load at all, in either normal map or satellite view. I'm guessing it's a Java update that broke it since it's happening across platforms.

Lacking a better place to post this:

Anyone seeing that the car seems to "wake up" often, and then it reports internal/external temperature along with front defrost mode being on? Has -0.3/-0.4 battery current when this happens too, for long arbitrary periods of time.

The Tesla app doesn't show anything different except for report interior temp during this period.

Downloaded the VisibleTesla App on my iMac, both the latest and experimental version. Unzipped and can't launch the program. A window pops up and then closes. Going to JavaAppLauncher to be able to see on Terminal, I get:
View attachment 107454

Well, those error messages are a symptom, likely not the real problem. I am not primarily a Mac person, so I am not sure of the typical way to launch this App on a Mac.

My first hunch is that you may be running Java8. Unfortunately VisibleTesla uses some features from Java7 that don't work with version 8.

Did you already have Java installed on the Mac, and do you know the version? The zip file should include a copy of Java7 and you need to make sure that you use that copy rather than the Java installed on your Mac. I'll have to defer to a Mac person on how to make that happen.

Well, those error messages are a symptom, likely not the real problem. I am not primarily a Mac person, so I am not sure of the typical way to launch this App on a Mac.

My first hunch is that you may be running Java8. Unfortunately VisibleTesla uses some features from Java7 that don't work with version 8.

Did you already have Java installed on the Mac, and do you know the version? The zip file should include a copy of Java7 and you need to make sure that you use that copy rather than the Java installed on your Mac. I'll have to defer to a Mac person on how to make that happen.
The Mac version contains a bundled version of the correct Java runtime and is standalone and does not depend on the Java installed in the system. The latest Version is 0.50.08 and can be downloaded here: 0.50.08 It's a single executable program and requires nothing else.

The Mac version contains a bundled version of the correct Java runtime and is standalone and does not depend on the Java installed in the system. The latest Version is 0.50.08 and can be downloaded here: 0.50.08 It's a single executable program and requires nothing else.

Thank you. That worked! Can the trips data be viewed using the app anytime? Or does the app have to be running on my mac at all times for it to gather the trips data?

The app has to run all the time for logging to occur.

And while it may be obvious, once the data is logged, it is stored permanently on your local computer and can be reviewed at any time.

Also, while it is unknown what data Tesla retains on its servers, or for what length of time, the Tesla API available to VisibleTesla only provides current data in real time. In addition to having VisibleTesla running to log data, the car needs to have a 3G/LTE connection. Data is not buffered and can be lost if the car does not have network connectivity. So it is not perfect but it is still amazingly more than any other car even offers.

Insurance companies now have gadgets that seem to collect similar information but you aren't given access to the data. (And why I won't play even to get a lower rate.)

So I haven't used VisibleTesla in quite some time, but with the recent crazy snowfall and cold temperatures I decided to set it up again so that I could have the car warm and frost-free in the mornings. However when I try to login with my email and password I just get told that login failed and to check my credentials. However the same email address and password work just fine in the app and on my.teslamotors.com.

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong here?

So I haven't used VisibleTesla in quite some time, but with the recent crazy snowfall and cold temperatures I decided to set it up again so that I could have the car warm and frost-free in the mornings. However when I try to login with my email and password I just get told that login failed and to check my credentials. However the same email address and password work just fine in the app and on my.teslamotors.com.

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong here?

Yes.

This keeps popping up.

There were major changes made by Tesla, requiring major changes to Visible Tesla.

You probably need the version of the software available in this post:

VisibleTesla - Page 174

This post explains the background: VisibleTesla - Page 154

I am having the same problem of not being able to log onto Visible Tesla on my MacBook Pro. I have downloaded version 28.00 and 29.00 and continue to get the message that the login failed and to check my credentials.

You needed to read the rest of Andyw2100's reply. You actually need the latest version of VT, which is 0.50.08. Since the original version of VisibleTesla, Tesla made some major changes to the authentication process, which required a major change to VisibleTesla. Joe (VisibleTesla author) explains the background in this post -> VisibleTesla - Page 154

You need the version of the software available in this post -> VisibleTesla - Page 174

You needed to read the rest of Andyw2100's reply. You actually need the latest version of VT, which is 0.50.08. Since the original version of VisibleTesla, Tesla made some major changes to the authentication process, which required a major change to VisibleTesla. Joe (VisibleTesla author) explains the background in this post -> VisibleTesla - Page 154

You need the version of the software available in this post -> VisibleTesla - Page 174

Thanks for getting me to the .050.08 version of the software. Stupid me was going to the VisibleTesla.com website and clicking on the download links there. The latest version there is 29.00.

This is a great program and I appreciate all of Joe's efforts.

I am having the same problem of not being able to log onto Visible Tesla on my MacBook Pro. I have downloaded version 28.00 and 29.00 and continue to get the message that the login failed and to check my credentials.

Thanks for getting him to actually read the information I had provided, SteveS0353, and for giving me credit for having provided it.

Thanks for getting me to the .050.08 version of the software. Stupid me was going to the VisibleTesla.com website and clicking on the download links there. The latest version there is 29.00.

I include the link to the post whenever anyone has the issue you were having, instead of a version number, as the version number could be out of date. I just assume Joe will always have the most current version available at that link.

Can't Access jarfile

Error.JPG

I'm trying to get this set up for the first time. Running windws 8.1. Working with version 50.08 but I keep getting this error when I try to run it. Any ideas?

Update: I finally got something to work. I see a disclaimer though that says Tesla may restrict the use of the corporate app if you use this program. Is that really true? Anyone had that happen?

Last edited:
Update: I finally got something to work. I see a disclaimer though that says Tesla may restrict the use of the corporate app if you use this program. Is that really true? Anyone had that happen?

I believe that's a reference to the possible throttling that Tesla could implement. If they were to do that, based on your VT usage, your use of their app would also be affected. I don't believe this has been an issue for anyone in quite some time. Just be reasonable with how you set up VT, and don't have it report back every second or something. :)