Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen notification failure in the past week or so? I run VT on my MacBook Pro @ home, and for the past week I am getting no notifications. I checked my VT notification settings. I have historically pushed a SMS via e-mail to my iPhone (using 'mycellnumber'@txt.att.net). When I try this in VT, a pop up says that my e-mail address/number is invalid, and says that I should check advanced VT settings. I switched to a regular e-mail address, and still no good (same VT popup with invalid address). I wonder if some proxy setting or port has changed in my Mac (recent update to MacOS somewhat concordant with my VT notification issues). Not sure if there are any Advanced settings in VT that need to be tweaked.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have observed the same error message using a regular email address.
The author, jpasqua, wrote on 16/12/2013 that "notifications will be sent via a hosted service". Maybe he stopped the subscription of that hosted service?

I just got back from a trip and notifications worked just fine. VT 5.08.

One thing that I was never able to get to work was sending a text message through Verizon from VT. I would love to hear if anyone was successful.

I'm running 0.50.08 on my Mac, and VT notifications stopped working after I updated the OS to Higher Sierra (10.13). I suspect it's the OS that's causing the blockage because those with the same version of VT on Windows are not reporting any issue. I tried disabling the firewall and some other tricks, but to no avail, VT notifications simply won't work on Mac OS X 10.13.

I'm running 0.50.08 on my Mac, and VT notifications stopped working after I updated the OS to Higher Sierra (10.13). I suspect it's the OS that's causing the blockage because those with the same version of VT on Windows are not reporting any issue. I tried disabling the firewall and some other tricks, but to no avail, VT notifications simply won't work on Mac OS X 10.13.

Interesting--mine was working under High Sierra until the latest .dot update about a week ago (security patches and some Messaging issues). Maybe it in fact is a MacOS issue.

I also have this issue on my Mac Mini running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3
It only started after the latest update I did a couple of weeks ago...

When I try to do a message delivery test from VT, using the same email I've always used in 3+ years, I get the following error:

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 9.54.17 AM.png

Yup--that's what I seen. Might be due to MacOS update breaking the app, or as noted, that the hosted service is no longer supported. Can any Windows users chime in here and report if VT still sends notifications to them??
I tried the same test as @MarcG with the same result, on Windows 10. I even tried signing up for my own MailGun account and using the key they provided me, but that didn't work either. The Java error in the log file indicates a certificate (SSL) problem:
Feb 09, 2018 7:07:36 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.MailGun send
SEVERE: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

The issue is the following:
  • VT sends notifications via a 3rd-party service called MailGun
  • MailGun updated their SSL certificates on 01/18/2018
  • The new certificate uses a new root certificate from Thawte/DigiCert
  • VT only runs under Java 7
  • Java 7's root certificate store does not contain the new root certificate, so as far as Java 7 is concerned, the MailGun certificate isn't trusted

To fix this (at least on Windows), do the following:
  • Quit VT
  • Go to VT's program directory (wherever you're running it from), find the file: jre1.7\lib\security\cacerts
  • Rename this file to cacerts-old
  • Install the latest version of Java 8 on your computer from www.java.com
  • Go to the Java 8 installation directory (by default, C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_161 )
  • Inside that directory, find the file jre1.8.0_161\lib\security\cacerts
  • Copy that file by right-clicking on it and selecting copy
  • Go back to the VT program directory jre1.7\lib\security
  • Right-click and paste the cacerts file in that directory
  • Run VT and test the e-mail notification functions

Fixing it on Mac should be similar, but I don't know where the Java installation directories are on Mac OS.

• Helpful
Reactions: f-stop and LoL Rick
The issue is the following:
  • VT sends notifications via a 3rd-party service called MailGun
  • MailGun updated their SSL certificates on 01/18/2018
  • The new certificate uses a new root certificate from Thawte/DigiCert
  • VT only runs under Java 7
  • Java 7's root certificate store does not contain the new root certificate, so as far as Java 7 is concerned, the MailGun certificate isn't trusted

To fix this (at least on Windows), do the following:
  • Quit VT
  • Go to VT's program directory (wherever you're running it from), find the file: jre1.7\lib\security\cacerts
  • Rename this file to cacerts-old
  • Install the latest version of Java 8 on your computer from www.java.com
  • Go to the Java 8 installation directory (by default, C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_161 )
  • Inside that directory, find the file jre1.8.0_161\lib\security\cacerts
  • Copy that file by right-clicking on it and selecting copy
  • Go back to the VT program directory jre1.7\lib\security
  • Right-click and paste the cacerts file in that directory
  • Run VT and test the e-mail notification functions

Fixing it on Mac should be similar, but I don't know where the Java installation directories are on Mac OS.

So with great excitement I dove into my MacOS to try to copy the cacerts file from 'generic' Java to my VT app. I found the Java folder on my Mac, and drilled down many levels to the Security folder and found the cacerts file, duplicated it and renamed it, then dragged it into the application package for VT (after renaming the original cacerts to cacerts-old). Fired up VT, and tried to get a notification--no joy. Same pop up error message.

I then went back to be sure I had the latest appropriate Mac Java package installed--yes. But when I examined the actual cacerts file from my Java install, it is dated like from 2015 or so. Not much newer than the one from the VT package.

I'm stuck. What am I doing wrong?

You might try downloading the latest Java 8 package for Windows and copying the cacerts file out of there into the VT Java directory on your Mac.

SomeJoe---a brilliant suggestion. So I found a Windows system with the latest Java install, and searched out the cacerts file in there. Copied it to my Mac and dropped it into the VT Java directory as you instructed. Magic! VT now sends notifications out of my Mac to my iPhone/SMS. Worked a treat! Many, many thanks for the input and solution.

• Informative
Reactions: f-stop and LoL Rick
SomeJoe---a brilliant suggestion. So I found a Windows system with the latest Java install, and searched out the cacerts file in there. Copied it to my Mac and dropped it into the VT Java directory as you instructed. Magic! VT now sends notifications out of my Mac to my iPhone/SMS. Worked a treat! Many, many thanks for the input and solution.

Glad to hear that you found a working solution!
Do you mind sharing more details about which file(s) you copied and from which directory on windows to which folders in macOS?

Glad to hear that you found a working solution!
Do you mind sharing more details about which file(s) you copied and from which directory on windows to which folders in macOS?

I don't have a PC on which to install Java 8, so I too was trying to figure out how to get this updated cacerts file and install into my copy of VT, but without finding a PC to install it on or trying to run the Java install on my Mac. Thanks to the info provided by SomeJoe7777 and JPP, plus some poking around I figured it out...

Here's what I did on my Mac:
- I downloaded the Linux installation from java.com.
- in the distribution, under jre1.8.0_161/lib/security there's a file named "cacert" dated Dec 19/17
- Control-clicked on the VisibleTesla application icon on my Mac, to open the application package, click on Show Package Contents
- drilled down the Package contents hierarchy, to Contents/Plugins/jdk1.7.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security
- in that folder I found the file "cacerts" dated Jul 12/15.
- renamed the existing cacerts to cacerts-old
- copied the new cacerts file from the Linux distribution to this folder in the VisibleTesla package
- close the VT package folders/windows; launch the VT app,
- in the Prefs pane, click on Test Delivery to send a test email notification
--> it works again!

hope this helps other fellow Mac users without a PC

edit:
FYI I'm running VT 0.50.08 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, and email notifications are now working again after the above fix

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrElbe