Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VisibleTesla 0.26.01

You can access the latest version of VisibleTesla here. This release adds the first version of a new feature to monitor and visualize Vampire Loss. There are also a couple of bug fixes and under-the-covers changes.

VisibleTesla 0.26.01
[04-12-2014]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Addition: Added a File→Vampire Loss... menu item that visualizes (and dumps) statistics about vampire loss. Please refer to the documentation for details.
      • Refinement: Updates to the documentation.
      • Fix: A new type of option caused a failure in the login process for some cars (all in Europe I believe). That problem has been fixed but I am still investigating what this new option means.
    • Login
    • Overview
      • Addition: The interior of the vehicle now reflects the proper (or close to proper) seat color. In previous versions, the seats were always shown as black. Now they are either black, tan, or gray depending on the actual seat color. Piping is not shown. Thanks to telsamotorsclub.com user wonko for creating the images.
    • HVAC
      • Fix: A change by Google to their maps API caused an error when popping up a map using the Browse button.
    • Charge
    • Graphs
    • Trips
    • Scheduler
    • Notify
      • Fix: A change by Google to their maps API caused an error when defining an area for the Car entered and Car left notifications.
    • Prefs

Last edited:
Well that was a little worrisome to wake up to this morning...

"2014-04-12 01:47:19
Left [MY_ADDRESS] within 20 meters"

Fortunately just an anomaly... nobody had stolen my S.

:)

Wow, that's bizarre. I'd love to now what's in your locs.log file around this point in time. It might shed some light onto what happened.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Wow, that's bizarre. I'd love to now what's in your locs.log file around this point in time. It might shed some light onto what happened.

Thanks,
Joe

I'd be happy to... but for some reason my VT installation generates no log files. (I think I mentioned/PM'd this to you before).

I surmise this MAY be because I have VT installed in C:\Program Files\VisibleTesla, and I think Windows may enforce not writing log files where the program code lives? Just a guess...

Incidentally, that false "Left <address>" notification came just 2 minutes after I have a scheduled event to set charge level within VT, in case they might be related events. I'll also note that the GPS on my car tends to capture my home address in the "visited chargers" list within the NAV system as an incorrect address a couple of doors down... so perhaps there's enough error there that when the car was awoken by the scheduled event, it reported itself as slightly outside the 20M geofence area?

I'd be happy to... but for some reason my VT installation generates no log files. (I think I mentioned/PM'd this to you before).

I surmise this MAY be because I have VT installed in C:\Program Files\VisibleTesla, and I think Windows may enforce not writing log files where the program code lives? Just a guess...

Incidentally, that false "Left <address>" notification came just 2 minutes after I have a scheduled event to set charge level within VT, in case they might be related events. I'll also note that the GPS on my car tends to capture my home address in the "visited chargers" list within the NAV system as an incorrect address a couple of doors down... so perhaps there's enough error there that when the car was awoken by the scheduled event, it reported itself as slightly outside the 20M geofence area?

I just tried putting VT into C:\Program Files\ on Windows 7 and it generated the log file just fine. I do have administrator privileges. Perhaps that's the difference? Would it be possible for you to try running this as admin just to see if it creates the files. If so, I'll check for this and have the log put elsewhere...

Having said all that, the file I am interested in for this test is not the normal log file. It is the file in which all of the location information is stored. It's called {VIN}.locs.log. {VIN} will be your real VIN. You can find where this file is stored by going to the Prefs Tab, selecting General, then Advanced, then pressing the "Show User Folder" button. That will pop up a dialog with the location of this file and the {VIN}.stats.log file. See image below.

The safest thing to do is quit VT, copy the {VIN}.locs.log file somewhere (e.g. Desktop), then restart VT. The file is plain text so you can open it in any text editor.

Given the time of the problem, you'll be looking for timestamps around 1397281639000 (I'm assuming you're in EDT). Check to see if there is a jump in location (L_LAT and L_LNG fields).

Good hunting,
Joe

Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 10.29.29 AM.png

I am admin on my machine as well... (both local and domain admin), and still no deal... I never get a "visibletesla.log"file in the program dir where the .jar file is. Perhaps I'll grab filemon and see if there are any file creation/permission errors at the filesystem level I can see...

For the other log files, although in my home setup I'm in Windows domain, and have my home folder redirected to my file server the .locs.log file is indeed there... I'll parse thru it shortly and report back.

Thanks Joe.

Thanks to user @araxara VisibleTesla now detects Aero wheels in more cases. If you have Tesla wheels that are not being detected properly, please let me know - particularly if you switched tires after purchase. With your input, I may be able to detect them also.

The changes to support this are out on github and will be included in the next release.

So, I noticed that it's not seeing my wheels properly. They're 19" Cyclone. Everything else works well. However, I looked at the configuration text and found the following:
HPWC: false (I have an HPWC)
Security Package: false (what's this)
Great work on the app though!

Just as an interesting point of reference though, I occasionally do not see the outdoor temp on the IOS app, yet see it properly in VT.

Actually, that was a typo. I meant to say that the inside (cabin) temp does not display sometimes. Usually after wakeup.

Hi andydoty,

Sometimes the car doesn't provide this info. From the HVAC section of the docs:
-----
This tab also displays the current interior and exterior temperature readings when they are available. The vehicle does not always supply this information. If no temperature readings are available, the tab will display "..." in place of the reading. It is not known when the vehicle decides to provide temperature readings and for how long. It is the case that if you activate the HVAC system, the readings will be made available and will remain available for an indeterminate period after the HVAC system is turned off.
-----

For the incorrect options, would you send me the contents of the details dialog on the overview tab? You can PM me rather than posting here.

Thanks,
Joe

Oh no! I have become accustomed to using the app every day but suddenly it cannot 'locate' my Tesla!! It found it earlier today and I even watched it driving but later today it is not able to find it. After it stopped working I upgraded to 26.0 but still no luck. The graphs stopped working a while back as well but I don't really miss them much.

Any assistance to 'find' my Tesla once again would be appreciated! Thanks!

BTW, it still works on the phone app.

@araxara: VT 0.26.01 (the bundled Mac OS X app, thanks!) does not load Graphs for me. The Graphs tab stays blank for about a minute and then just displays [] at the left top, no data, no scale. jpasqua's VT .jar works fine. This is new, although I have skipped a few versions, probably about 1-2 months worth. No other issues that I can tell. I just updated Java to the latest version today, no change.

Oh no! I have become accustomed to using the app every day but suddenly it cannot 'locate' my Tesla!! It found it earlier today and I even watched it driving but later today it is not able to find it. After it stopped working I upgraded to 26.0 but still no luck. The graphs stopped working a while back as well but I don't really miss them much.

Any assistance to 'find' my Tesla once again would be appreciated! Thanks!

BTW, it still works on the phone app.

I can't find mine either. At about 6:16PM PDT I started getting errors from the API that I use to get location information. I haven't been able to determine why.

Is anyone else having the same problem? When did it start for you?

You can tell by looking at your log file or by looking at the "Speed" data in the Graph Tab.

My car updated itself to 5.9 today, and the app also can't locate my car. The app wasn't running, so I don't have any log file from earlier in the day. But I am seeing this in the log now:

Apr 16, 2014 2:21:27 AM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 10 requests in 10 seconds - Portal

Apr 16, 2014 2:21:47 AM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
WARNING: Snapshot refresh failed!

My car updated itself to 5.9 today, and the app also can't locate my car. The app wasn't running, so I don't have any log file from earlier in the day. But I am seeing this in the log now:

Apr 16, 2014 2:21:27 AM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 10 requests in 10 seconds - Portal

Apr 16, 2014 2:21:47 AM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
WARNING: Snapshot refresh failed!

This is happening to me as well. My car updated to v5.9 yesterday and now visible tesla can't locate the car (but my phone app can). Looking at the logs I see the same things as HankLloydRight. Only the location Tab and subsequently the trip log failed. The HVAC and Charge tabs are still working. I am running VT 0.26.01.