Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been running VisibleTesla for a few months now but all of a sudden it won't record my trips. If I use the java app it will record the car for about a hour but after that it stop. I've checked the app for all the settings but can't find the problem (the car is also nog in saving mode etc.).

Who can give me the right settings to get VT start recording again?

I've been running VisibleTesla for a few months now but all of a sudden it won't record my trips. If I use the java app it will record the car for about a hour but after that it stop. I've checked the app for all the settings but can't find the problem (the car is also nog in saving mode etc.).

Who can give me the right settings to get VT start recording again?

Hi Bram. No settings changed relative to the recording of trips. You shouldn't have to change anything. What version of the app are you using? There was a bug in versions prior to 0.27.00 that could cause recording to stop if you used the Location tab.

If you can send me a log file that includes one of the time periods where you took a trip but it was not recorded, I may be able to determine what is going on. I may also need to see your locs.log file, but lets start with a regular log file and see if that helps. If you're not sure how to find the log file, check out this section of the FAQ.

VisibleTesla 0.27.01 - Memorial Day Edition

VisibleTesla 0.27.01 is live. You can get it here:
This release has a number of bug fixes along with several refinements and additions. There are two experimental features meant for advanced users. Most people can ignore these.

The documentation is live at visibletesla.com and the github repository is up to date for developers.

VisibleTesla 0.27.01 [05-26-2014]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Addition: For advanced users only - EXPERIMENTAL. VisibleTesla now includes the ability to accept a *very* limited set of commands via HTTP. At the moment, the only thing it can do is set the inactivity mode. This support is off by default and should only be used by people who are comfortable with direct access to web services. If you do enable the service, it is protected via HTTP Basic Authentication. To use this feature, read more about the settings in the Prefs Tab and under Other Topics.
      • Refinement: The Sequence chart of the Vampire Loss dialog now shows each marker circle with a size proportional to the duration of the rest period. That allows you to more easily determine the contribution of each period to the overall average. Roughly speaking, the amount of loss contributed by a given data point is related to the size of the marker and its position on the chart. A big circle high on the chart indicates the most loss, while a small circle lower on the chart indicates the least loss.
        Also, the X axis now shows dates rather than sequence numbers.
      • Refinement: The X axis of the Sequence chart now shows dates rather than sequence numbers.
      • Refinement: Updates to the Documentation.
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
      • Refinement: The power side of the speed / power gauge now displays using a logarithmic scale.
      • Fix: The speed side of the speed / power gauge now uses the appropriate units. It used to always show mph.
    • Charge
    • Graphs
      • Fix: There were rare occasions in which the Graph Tab would fail to load. This has been addressed.
    • Trips
      • Fix: The following scenario is fixed: Start the app, take a trip, then show that Trip in the Trips Tab. Quit the app and restart. Then show the same trip in the Trips Tab. The first map will include too many markers. It disregards the Prefs setting for this.
    • Scheduler
      • Fix: There were circumstances under which logged messages could have spurious data in them. This has been addressed.
    • Notify
      • Addition: For advanced users only - EXPERIMENTAL. Added the ability to perform a HTTP GET on a URL in the event of a notification instead of sending an email. You may set the notification email in any custom notification setting to a URL rather than an email address. The URL must begin with http:// or https://. It must be a fully formed URL with any special characters URL-encoded. If VisibleTesla sees a URL rather than an email, it will perform an HTTP GET on that URL. It will not check error codes returned from the server nor process any returned data. The custom subject field will be ignored. This mechanism allows notifications to trigger web services for home automation or other purposes.
      • Refinement: The user interface for defining a location for geofencing notifications has been completely revamped and is much more interactive and visual. See the documentation for details. As a result of this change, the upper limit on radius has been lifted. The lower limit is 15 meters.
      • Refinement: When a notification is sent for the Charge State Becomes trigger, it will now include the current SOC and estimated range (in appropriate units).
      • Fix: In certain circumstances, Notifications regarding Scheduled Events may not be sent. This has been addressed.
    • Prefs
  • Under-the-covers
  • Known problems

Potential Problem with Notification Delivery

I recently updated some domain information for visibletesla.com and as a result, some email notifications are being blocked. Without going into details, some info on the domain was no longer setup properly and certain mail servers believed that it was a potential spam-generating domain. As a result, they blocked email coming from visibletesla.

I apologize for the inconvenience and am working to correct the problem now.

Joe

----- UPDATE -----

The changes have been made, but it may take some time for them to propagate through the DNS system. If you've been experiencing missed notifications, you should start seeing new notifications again soon.

Last edited:
Well I just got the first new notification of charge completed with SOC and range. The SMS said 100% SOC and range 320.4km I think it's not a good idea to use for EU cars the Estimated range. Better to report rated or typical.

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 22.43.32.png

I think even the best choice would be to send both, the rated and typical, the estimated is going to fluctuate freakily based on just what you did prior to leaving the car.

The new streaming stuff has been rock solid for me since 0.27.0, so I just wanted to chime in.

Still having trouble keeping VisibleTesla connected to the car, though. It seems like long periods where it can't communicate with the vehicle still freak it out, as it stops recording or even adding much to the log. So I have to remember to kill it and reopen it every day or two or it silently stops working (no reliable network connection of any type in our underground garage). And you can't open VisibleTesla if the car doesn't have a network connection, it closes itself back down rather than continuing to look for it until the car has a connection.

Still, when it works, it's such a great tool.

- - - Reply to Mario Kadastik - - -

Well I just got the first new notification of charge completed with SOC and range. The SMS said 100% SOC and range 320.4km I think it's not a good idea to use for EU cars the Estimated range. Better to report rated or typical.

View attachment 50268

I think even the best choice would be to send both, the rated and typical, the estimated is going to fluctuate freakily based on just what you did prior to leaving the car.

Will do. I might just send all three to all vehicle owners (not just EU). I'm traveling again starting tomorrow, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but it will be in the next release.

- - - Reply to Gizmotoy - - -

The new streaming stuff has been rock solid for me since 0.27.0, so I just wanted to chime in.

Still having trouble keeping VisibleTesla connected to the car, though. It seems like long periods where it can't communicate with the vehicle still freak it out, as it stops recording or even adding much to the log. So I have to remember to kill it and reopen it every day or two or it silently stops working (no reliable network connection of any type in our underground garage). And you can't open VisibleTesla if the car doesn't have a network connection, it closes itself back down rather than continuing to look for it until the car has a connection.

Still, when it works, it's such a great tool.

Thanks for the report Gizmotoy. I'm also in the bay area, but my coverage is pretty good so I haven't experienced this. I will simulate it happening and make VT more resilient. I may ask your help in debugging/testing.

Joe

Thanks for the report Gizmotoy. I'm also in the bay area, but my coverage is pretty good so I haven't experienced this. I will simulate it happening and make VT more resilient. I may ask your help in debugging/testing.
Thanks for taking a look, I'll help with whatever I can. I should really learn Java.

Essentially my car sits underground. Depending on some random factor I can't determine, my car will either have very weak 3G signal, or no signal at all. If it's no signal at all, by morning VisualTesla has usually stopped working. For example, I opened it to capture data yesterday, and parked the car overnight. It didn't have a data connection, and without closing VisibleTesla, no trips were recorded today even though I had signal when I left the garage.

When it was working, I saw lots of this in the log:
May 27, 2014 4:04:36 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: App Awake, interval = 120
May 27, 2014 4:06:39 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
May 27, 2014 4:08:41 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run

Once I parked it overnight and it broke, I see lots of this in the log:
May 28, 2014 11:28:19 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
WARNING: Error: couldn't retreive auth tokens
May 28, 2014 11:28:19 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Can't authenticate for streaming!
May 28, 2014 11:30:19 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
May 28, 2014 11:30:21 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState refreshAuthentication
WARNING: Error: couldn't retreive auth tokens
May 28, 2014 11:30:21 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Can't authenticate for streaming!
May 28, 2014 11:32:20 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run

There's also a suspicious gap in log entries. Note the timestamps between these three sequential entries:
May 27, 2014 9:21:09 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$2 changed
INFO: Resetting Idle start time to now
May 28, 2014 7:00:00 AM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$2 changed
INFO: Resetting Idle start time to now
May 28, 2014 6:00:48 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 20 requests in 60 seconds - Portal
They seem to correspond to my 6PM Daydream, 7AM awake Scheduler settings, with nothing in between.

Anyway, let me know how I can help.

Last edited:
Still a no go for the notifications for me with the new versions.

- Scheduled a check at 22h00 for if it is plugged in
- Notfication if charging states changes to anything
- Notfications when the car arrives or leaves 'home'
- VisibleTesla is always running minimized on my Media Center (Title says sleeping)

- When plugging in the car at home I receive an email within 5 minutes that the car has stopped charging (When at home charging is scheduled for 23h05)
- 22h00 receive email if the cars is plugged in or not
- 23h05 (+- 5 min) receive email charging has started
- When charging is done, I receive an email that it is done
- When car is plugged in I receive an email within a few minutes that is is unplugged
- When leaving/arriving home I receive an email within a few minutes that the car left or arrived at home

So definitely there is something wrong with my setup or something has changed in the code since 0.27 which prevents the notifications.
Anyone else seeing this behavior?

I'm new to VT. I'm on a Mac and got it working the first time. version 27.00 It looks great. thank you very much for your work.
My Overview picture has no interior. If I ask for details is says Seats: Unknown. I have Tan Performance seats. Can I change the details or is thee some other way to fix this? Everything else is accurate.
michael

View attachment 50268

I was wondering why the notifications were sending weird information back, I would like to see Ideal (typical) range reported as well. I don't care about rated at all.

Here's my last notifications:
2014-05-31 22:55:45 Charge State became: Complete SOC: 80% Range: 315,7 km
2014-06-01 18:26:50 Charge State became: Starting SOC: 64% Range: 271,9 km
2014-06-01 18:27:21 Charge State became: Charging SOC: 64% Range: 273,4 km < i don't get 2km range in 30 seconds :)
2014-06-01 21:17:32 Charge State became: Complete SOC: 80% Range: 341,6 km < 25.9km more than previous 80% charge?
2014-06-02 07:17:08 Charge State became: Disconnected SOC: 74% Range: 305,5 km < about 16 minutes after starting driving. it is set to go to daydreaming at 6am, should it not had picked up the start driving earlier? <- disregard this one, i turned on the computer after 6 AM, so the last event it received was allow sleep at 7pm the day before.

jpasqua, this might be stretching it, but these emails are wonderful to get, but i would like to be able to customize it, perhaps write my own subject and header, with some macros in place for what to report? I get these notifications on phone, and it'd be awesome to be able to see all in subject line, for example :

"Charge State: Complete/80%/320km" or some other compact form.
Perhaps you could have a toggle with "compact" or "long" format of the mails? :)

Again, sorry for nitpicking :)

Edit: Clarification on notfication above, also read your reply about this being worked on. I'll be eagerly awaiting your return from your trip to try this out. Trip safely!

Last edited:
Folks, I'm still on a really busy work trip so I haven't been able to keep up with the thread.

Before I left I started working on customized messages / subjects with variable substitution so you can customize your notifications.

I won't have a chance to release it until I get back and do some testing. A couple more cities to go...

Hey Joe. Is there any reason why we're not allowing Visible Tesla to start and view past data (charts) without establishing a connection to the car. My car is in the service center (they always turn off mobile app access) and I had to reboot my PC. Now I can no longer start Visible Tesla to view my past data charts. Thanks!

WARNING !! - Visible Tesla Might "Brick" your car

I’ve used Visible Tesla for a few months. my first version was 26.01, I’ve had no problem with the software, before today.

2 hours ago I open the App and there was a notice of an update, which I click on and downloaded. I installed the VT 27.01 update (from 26.01) After installation I tested the app by honking my horn, so it was working. I left the app open as I like to use it to send me notices about the charge status of the car.

Now my car is completely dead, the key won’t unlock it, the iOS app doesn’t work either, it will flash the lights, report the battery status and show the location. but anything else is non-responsive.

An hour later my computer froze and hung as well, this could all be a coincidence, but I find it highly unlikely.

Telsa service can’t access the car either, they have tried remote resets but nothing works, they are sending someone out now to hopefully fix it.

Until more is known about what happen to cause my car to be “bricked” I would recommend that no one update to version 27.01 of Visible Tesla

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Joe. Is there any reason why we're not allowing Visible Tesla to start and view past data (charts) without establishing a connection to the car. My car is in the service center (they always turn off mobile app access) and I had to reboot my PC. Now I can no longer start Visible Tesla to view my past data charts. Thanks!

Wondering the same thing. This causes a bunch of frustration getting the app runnning for me since I park in an underground garage. When it stops capturing data for whatever reason, I have to remember to VNC into my computer at home from my phone and start it while I'm away.

If it's not already running I can't look at stats or do anything meaningful until I drive the car away from my house.

I've mentioned it a few times before so I think Joe is aware of it, it's just a low priority.

Last edited: