Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WARNING !! - Visible Tesla Might "Brick" your car

"Bricking" refers to a completely exhausted (I.e. dead) battery pack, you obviously don't have that so I wouldn't worry too much. What you described sounds like you have a problem with your 12v battery. It is possible to jump the 12v so you can get the doors unlocked etc but if you have a Tesla Ranger coming they'll take care of you anyway.

P.S. As a new member your posts went automatically into moderation due to the different formatting, hence the time delay in them appearing. I deleted the duplicate posts for you.

No it's bricked, 2 Telsa Service guys came to my house worked on it for 2 hours, They tried the 12v battery that wasn't it. No power, had to pick the door lock to get inside the car.

They've never seen a car with this problem, decided it needed to be towed back the service center. People in Palo Alto are very interested to see what the problem is...

No it's bricked, 2 Telsa Service guys came to my house worked on it for 2 hours, They tried the 12v battery that wasn't it. No power, had to pick the door lock to get inside the car.

They've never seen a car with this problem, decided it needed to be towed back the service center. People in Palo Alto are very interested to see what the problem is...

pick the door lock? sounds a bit odd since there is no door lock, or is there?

VT is definitely giving up on capturing trips for me. I'm not sure if it started in 0.27.01 or 0.27.0, but it's been pretty consistent. I'll work for about 2 days, and then cease capturing trips. The app "appears" functional, the location tab has me in the right place, but the Charge tab shows 0 rated, 0 estimated, 0 ideal miles. If no one else is seeing this, I guess one possible culprit would be because my car loses network connection every night.

I'd peek at the logs again, but now that the Mac App is a bundle, I can't seem to find them.

Correlation and causation are not the same thing. These are almost certainly unrelated events. I use VT and have had no issues. Of course, that is as specious reasoning as saying it caused a problem; but this does seem inflammatory to me.

Then again, some people are worried about the increases in drowning which correlate with nuclear power generation... Number people who drowned while in a swimming-pool correlates with Power generated by nuclear power plants (US)

I’ve used Visible Tesla for a few months. my first version was 26.01, I’ve had no problem with the software, before today.

2 hours ago I open the App and there was a notice of an update, which I click on and downloaded. I installed the VT 27.01 update (from 26.01) After installation I tested the app by honking my horn, so it was working. I left the app open as I like to use it to send me notices about the charge status of the car.

Now my car is completely dead, the key won’t unlock it, the iOS app doesn’t work either, it will flash the lights, report the battery status and show the location. but anything else is non-responsive.

An hour later my computer froze and hung as well, this could all be a coincidence, but I find it highly unlikely.

Telsa service can’t access the car either, they have tried remote resets but nothing works, they are sending someone out now to hopefully fix it.

Until more is known about what happen to cause my car to be “bricked” I would recommend that no one update to version 27.01 of Visible Tesla

This app is great. I have been using it for many months. Only had one problem with it not receiving data for a few days. Turns out it was something with the Tesla site. This morning I upgraded the cars firmware to 1.51.109. When I returned today, the app had no graph data. I restarted the program and now it tells me to use my email address as my user name. I am using my email address. Any suggestions jpasqua?

- - - Updated - - -

I restarted both displays in the car and I can login in now.

- - - Updated - - -

And the graph data is back.

First off, kudos to jpasqua for developing this excellent app. Been using it for several weeks and absolutely loving it. I am on 0.27.01 with no issues. Had a bit of a challenge initially as I didn’t realize my laptop was going to sleep mode and my trips were always partially logged. That was easily taken care of.

I did notice a weirdness in the mapping of the trips (see below). The Snap To Road option every now and then plots a route that circuitous to the actual route taken. Looks like it snapped to the wrong road. Not sure if this had been called out before or if it’s more of an issue with the mapping software.

Without Snap To Road:
VT - without snap to road.jpg

With Snap To Road:
VT- with snap to road.jpg

As an engineer, I should have rebooted the drivers console and tested. If it didn't fix the issue, then reboot the center console. Try that approach. Should help figure out where in the problem may lie. Definitely in my case a software update broke the communications.

Hey Folks,

I'm finally back in town (for a whole week) and am catching up a bit. The way the forum works, it will merge all posts that I make within a single 30 minute period, so my responses will likely be bunched together.

Joe

- - - Reply to eujinc - - -

First off, kudos to jpasqua for developing this excellent app. Been using it for several weeks and absolutely loving it. I am on 0.27.01 with no issues. Had a bit of a challenge initially as I didn’t realize my laptop was going to sleep mode and my trips were always partially logged. That was easily taken care of.

I did notice a weirdness in the mapping of the trips (see below). The Snap To Road option every now and then plots a route that circuitous to the actual route taken. Looks like it snapped to the wrong road. Not sure if this had been called out before or if it’s more of an issue with the mapping software.

Without Snap To Road:
<image removed>

With Snap To Road:
<image removed>

Hello eujinc,

I logged a bug report about this in github a while back. This is an artifact of the way I implemented the "Snap to Road" feature combined with the resolution of the GPS readings. Honestly, I don't have a good idea of how to fix it at the moment. I've got some bad ideas, but not any good ones yet.

For those that care, here are more of the details. VisibleTesla has a set of latitude / longitude points that describe the path that your car traveled. Let's say we start at point A, and then travel to points B, C, and D. When you're not in "Snap to Road" mode, I just draw a straight line from point A to point B, point B to point C, and point C to point D. In order to follow the roadway, I need to figure out the path of the roadway between point A and point B. I do that by asking Google Maps for the directions between A and B (it's a little more complicated than that, but this is close enough to illustrate the problem). Let's say point B happens to be very near an offramp on a highway and given the (in)accuracy of the GPS readings, it looks like you're on the offramp when in fact you're in the right lane. The directions that Google gives back to VisibleTesla will show you getting off the highway, looping around, and getting on somewhere else to get to point B. There are a number of circumstances like this that can cause weird "excursions" in the trip.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough information (or accurate enough information) to avoid this in all circumstances. I do have some ideas for how I might do better than I am doing right now, but I've deferred this bug for the moment.

Joe

- - - Reply to SigS905 and Muzzman1 - - -

As an engineer, I should have rebooted the drivers console and tested. If it didn't fix the issue, then reboot the center console. Try that approach. Should help figure out where in the problem may lie. Definitely in my case a software update broke the communications.

SigS905: I'm glad you got to the root of the problem and thanks for sharing with others.

@Sig,
I am also experiencing graph data issues. I can see the car move on the location screen, but the graph is no longer accurately logging trips. Only SOC and Rated range.

Muzzman1: It sounds like you're seeing the car move on the Location tab but not seeing speed or power data on the Graphs tab. Is that correct? If you wouldn't mind sending me your log file corresponding to the time period of the problem. I will see if I can tell what's going on. You can read about where to find the log file in the troubleshooting section of the FAQ.

- - - Reply to simonog - - -

Yesterday, the first 5 RHD cars were delivered in the UK.

Is there anything in VT which would need changing to support RHD cars please?

The answer is that there may be some changes required, but it should just work with the exception of the car images showing the steering wheel on the wrong side.

If you're an owner, I'd love to get your feedback on what works and what doesn't. I have no way of testing it myself since I don't have access to a UK model car.

I'd also like to know if the Tesla app for iPhone or Android has been updated for the UK market to show the correct visuals (steering wheel on the correct side).

Joe

- - - Reply to all - - -

I’ve used Visible Tesla for a few months. my first version was 26.01, I’ve had no problem with the software, before today.

2 hours ago I open the App and there was a notice of an update, which I click on and downloaded. I installed the VT 27.01 update (from 26.01) After installation I tested the app by honking my horn, so it was working. I left the app open as I like to use it to send me notices about the charge status of the car.

Now my car is completely dead, the key won’t unlock it, the iOS app doesn’t work either, it will flash the lights, report the battery status and show the location. but anything else is non-responsive.

An hour later my computer froze and hung as well, this could all be a coincidence, but I find it highly unlikely.

Telsa service can’t access the car either, they have tried remote resets but nothing works, they are sending someone out now to hopefully fix it.

Until more is known about what happen to cause my car to be “bricked” I would recommend that no one update to version 27.01 of Visible Tesla

All,

wave1 sent me a PM about this problem before posting here. I was traveling and pretty occupied with work, but as I mentioned to him in my response, it seems unlikely that there is anything that can be done via the API that would brick a car. However, I told him that he should feel free to post his experiences on the forum and let users make their own choices.

It must be terribly disconcerting to have the kind of trouble that wave1 had with his car and I just hope that the problem has been found and that he's on the road again.

Joe

- - - Reply to benfrank3 - - -

Your app is absolutely amazing. Thanks for writing it and making it available! Is it possible to get a scheduled email telling me the state of charge?

Hi benfrank3. Are you thinking of a mail message that is sent at a specific time every day? Yes, that is doable. In fact, in response to other requests, I am adding a "template" mechanism for notifications that will allow you to customize the message that's sent with all sorts of information like rated range, SOC, and location. For example, you can create a message template that looks like this.

Hi,

It's {{TIME}} on {{DATE}} and your car is located here:
{{LOC}}
Your SOC is {{SOC}}% and your ideal range is {{IDEAL}} {{D_UNITS}}

Sincerely,
VisibleTesla

All of the stuff in double curly braces will be filled in with corresponding values resulting in a mail message that looks like this:
Hi,

It's 20:00:00 on 2014-06-10 and your car is located here:
530 Main St., Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Your SOC is 72% and your ideal range is 190.1 mi

Sincerely,
VisibleTesla

You'll also be able to set custom subjects with data plugged into them. Once this is there, it will be trivial to do what you want.

Joe

- - - Reply to Gizmotoy - - -

VT is definitely giving up on capturing trips for me. I'm not sure if it started in 0.27.01 or 0.27.0, but it's been pretty consistent. I'll work for about 2 days, and then cease capturing trips. The app "appears" functional, the location tab has me in the right place, but the Charge tab shows 0 rated, 0 estimated, 0 ideal miles. If no one else is seeing this, I guess one possible culprit would be because my car loses network connection every night.

I'd peek at the logs again, but now that the Mac App is a bundle, I can't seem to find them.

Hi Gizmotoy,

I will definitely look into this, it's just a matter of time since it is hard for me to reproduce. Please check your home folder for the log files.

I appreciate your patience. I know this has been going on for a while.
Joe

--- Reply to Mario Kadastik and cairnz ---

I was wondering why the notifications were sending weird information back, I would like to see Ideal (typical) range reported as well. I don't care about rated at all.

jpasqua, this might be stretching it, but these emails are wonderful to get, but i would like to be able to customize it, perhaps write my own subject and header, with some macros in place for what to report? I get these notifications on phone, and it'd be awesome to be able to see all in subject line, for example :

"Charge State: Complete/80%/320km" or some other compact form.
Perhaps you could have a toggle with "compact" or "long" format of the mails? :)

Again, sorry for nitpicking :)

Edit: Clarification on notfication above, also read your reply about this being worked on. I'll be eagerly awaiting your return from your trip to try this out. Trip safely!

Well I just got the first new notification of charge completed with SOC and range. The SMS said 100% SOC and range 320.4km I think it's not a good idea to use for EU cars the Estimated range. Better to report rated or typical.

View attachment 50268

I think even the best choice would be to send both, the rated and typical, the estimated is going to fluctuate freakily based on just what you did prior to leaving the car.

Hey Guys,

See the note above regarding notification message templates. You should be able to customize these messages to whatever form/content works best for you.

Thanks for the input.

Joe