Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've pushed a new version of VisibleTesla to github for anyone who wants to see what's going on with the new Tesla APIs. This is not an application release. It is just a release of the source code that developers can peruse or build for themselves. If you do build it and try it out, please do not use it "in production".

The failure rates from Tesla's APIs are hovering at about 50%. I mask that with automatic retries, but even then the failure rate is about 15%. Needless to say, having 15% of the calls fail is not conducive to proper operation.

Joe, any thought to when the loc/stats file start becoming "too large" for a single file or visibletesla to handle? My stats file is at 20mb now, and I'm worried (perhaps unwarranted) that at some point it'll choke and zero the file, making all my battery history .. well.. history :|

Any enlightening words? Or should i get the source from github and look for it? ;)

Hi cairnz,

The file size shouldn't be a problem, but I always recommend backing up data just in case. I happen to be working on the storage layer right now. The new version will store about twice the amount of data in the same space and also has some other benefits. I may incorporate a capability in this newer version to split data across files to keep them bite-sized.

Joe

Hi cairnz,

The file size shouldn't be a problem, but I always recommend backing up data just in case. I happen to be working on the storage layer right now. The new version will store about twice the amount of data in the same space and also has some other benefits. I may incorporate a capability in this newer version to split data across files to keep them bite-sized.

Joe

Great news! Let me tell you that we all much appreciate all your efforts and work you out in this! I'm in the same boat, I'm unable to export probably because too much data?. I tried on two different machines with plenty of CPU and RAM. I'll be waiting patiently for the next version. Tracking data long term is very useful so I keep mine running 24/7.

Hello

Same problem from France (my car is in France, but I am in Czech Republic).
I installed Visible Tesla for Windows (XP professionnal sp3), input my credential, but the answer is :
"Login failed - Please check your credentials - Remember to use your email address as your username"...

Any tip or advice ?

Thanks

VisibleTesla cannot connect to my (new) tesla either. Same as previous posts about password error when you log out and in again.

When starting the application (tried both v0.28 and v0.29) - it seems to be able to log in :
Capture.JPG

The tabs remain greyed out - and when trying to log out and log in again - i get the authentication error.
The regular Tesla app on my cell phone does work.

Any tips/tricks ?

Fyi I have installed VT weeks ago on my Win Laptop --> works fine with saved password (key).
Now I would like to use it on a Mac as well, but authentication not possible.
Has something maybe changed generating the key file?

I have the same problem with login as above. Tried a new installation on my laptop and on my desktop. Always the same message as abouve 'MarcG'. Tesla App works on my android. Tesla put a new firmware on my car two days ago. Any idea?

Just installed app on Surface Pro 3. The tabs and information are only using the upper left of the screen. Some of the text is on top of buttons, for example, the word Charging is on top of the Start button. Is there any setting to correct this? Thanks.

End of the line - at least for now

Folks,

Background
  • Changes in Tesla's servers are incompatible with the current version of VisibleTesla
  • Some users have already been moved to the new servers and VisibleTesla no longer works for them (can't log in). This seems to be mostly in Europe.
  • In addition to changes in the way logging-in and other functions work, the new servers throttle usage.
  • Throttling means that if you use the servers a lot, they eventually start dropping requests to reduce load.
  • Throttling makes the servers appear extremely unreliable and unsuitable for use by apps like VisibleTesla
  • This throttling will impact the operation of your mobile phone app - not just VisibleTesla

Current State:
  • I have updated VisibleTesla to use the new APIs, but due to the server instability, it is very hard for me to test
  • Because of throttling, it will never work as well as before.
  • Because others would experience the same difficulties with VisibleTesla and their mobile app, I have not released the newer version
  • I don't want VisibleTesla to impact the operation of people's mobile app
  • As you know, VisibleTesla is just a spare-time project. That means that there is no one to handle the many user issues that will result with widespread use of the new version.
  • I have released the source code for an updated version to github for developers who want to build their own version of VisibleTesla and take responsibility for its operation

Future:
  • I will release another update to github which further improves the operation of VisibleTesla with the new servers.
  • This new version does not solve any of the problems, it just works around them better.
  • Developers can pick up this new version if they wish to take responsibility for its operation
  • It will still result in degraded operation of your mobile application
  • I will not release a new packaged version of VisibleTesla until and unless there is a way to ensure that it operates well with Tesla's servers

In case you're wondering:

• I have no way of improving / changing the operation of Tesla's servers.
  • Tesla has not provided guidelines to avoid throttling
  • Yes, I have been in contact with Tesla about this. They have been very polite and as helpful as appropriate given that:
    • They have never supported third party use of their servers for apps like VisibleTesla.
    • They built the service for the use by their mobile application.
  • Tesla may or may not ever support third party use of their servers

I wish I had better news, but for the time being it appears that we are approaching the end of the line for VisibleTesla.

Joe