Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for any help, I am using the exact same log in and still... VT does not work.
You may not have seen some discussion on this issue a little farther back in the thread but Tesla is cracking down on unoffical access to their servers. In particular it seems that newer Tesla owners, or older owners that just got a new vehicle, are not able to authenticate on Tesla's servers other than through a Smartphone app. I got my car in early January and I am in this boat.

Thanks wayner! ok, with Dec 2014 delivery I may be one of these "new "owners. Is there any hope for a fix? VT seems to be a superior over the iphone app
Hopefully someone more knowledgaable than I will chime in but this may depend on Tesla. They have talked about allowing third party apps on the car so hopefully they do that and also allow other access to their server like this. Either that or the guys behind VT have to figure out how to fool the Tesla servers into thinking that they are the Tesla iPhone/Android app.

Hopefully someone more knowledgaable than I will chime in but this may depend on Tesla. They have talked about allowing third party apps on the car so hopefully they do that and also allow other access to their server like this. Either that or the guys behind VT have to figure out how to fool the Tesla servers into thinking that they are the Tesla iPhone/Android app.

Please read posts 1619 and 1634 in this thread, by the developer of Visible Tesla. (They hold good news for us all.)

There isn't much in 1634 but here are the relevant sections from 1619:

This version uses the new APIs (just like the version that's on github now) and allows me to log in reliably. There are massive changes to the code base so please consider it very experimental.
FYI, I was locked out again for a few days and couldn't use VT or the iPhone app. Once I was able to get back in, my throttling was effectively gone and I was seeing almost perfect behaviors from Tesla's servers. Over time, the throttling began again. Right now I'm hovering at around an 85% success rate of requests to Tesla's servers. They are throttling me, but not as badly as before. With automatic retries, I'm seeing about a 95% effective success rate. I expect that the longer I use the app, the more I'll be throttled.
What's not clear to me is if those of us who have never been able to log in will now be able to log in using the new APIs. It looks like that Tesla is adapting to Joe's methods and taking defensive measures which is very disappointing!

Maybe we should start a petition to Elon from thousands of Tesla owners to have Tesla cease and desist from frustrating third party access and have them do a 180 degree turn and actually encourage it! (assuming that this doesn't compromise security or safetly)

Kind of like what Microsoft did with Kinect hackers. At first they tried to stop them but eventually they released it was a good thing.

But I am new here so there could be a background context that I am not aware of.

There isn't much in 1634 but here are the relevant sections from 1619:

What's not clear to me is if those of us who have never been able to log in will now be able to log in using the new APIs. It looks like that Tesla is adapting to Joe's methods and taking defensive measures which is very disappointing!

Maybe we should start a petition to Elon from thousands of Tesla owners to have Tesla cease and desist from frustrating third party access and have them do a 180 degree turn and actually encourage it! (assuming that this doesn't compromise security or safetly)

Kind of like what Microsoft did with Kinect hackers. At first they tried to stop them but eventually they released it was a good thing.

But I am new here so there could be a background context that I am not aware of.

I guess I really do need to spell this out. (I gave the relevant posts in case I summarize incorrectly.)

JPASQUA IS FIXING VISIBLE TESLA SO IT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE, BUT WARNING US TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT HOW WE USE IT, AND TELLING US THAT WE'LL BE USING IT AT OUR OWN RISK.

Is that clear enough?

In 1619 he says he is releasing a version that will work for developers, and he may release a stand-alone version for non-developers. And he linked to an earlier post that gave additional details. (I didn't feel the need to list that post too, since it was included in one I did list.)

I will be releasing a new version of VisibleTesla (0.50.00) to github within the next week. Again, this is just a developer release and all of the same disclaimers from my earlier post still apply.

I may make a pre-built version of the app available for download by non-developers, but only for those who understand the risks involved and want to experiment. It won't be available via VisibleTesla.com or autoupdate from the app due to the reasons described in my earlier post.

and in 1634, where you (Wayner) say "there isn't much" he sates that he will, in fact, build the stand-alone version. That's why I chose those two posts to direct you towards.

Hey folks,

I will build a 0.50.00 version and make it available for download, but not through the "official" channels at this point. I'll announce it here and provide a URL for manual download.

I considered the change from "may" to "will" quite significant, so included that post.

I guess I really do need to spell this out. (I gave the relevant posts in case I summarize incorrectly.)

JPASQUA IS FIXING VISIBLE TESLA SO IT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE, BUT WARNING US TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT HOW WE USE IT, AND TELLING US THAT WE'LL BE USING IT AT OUR OWN RISK.

Is that clear enough?
Yes it is, thanks. It is my understanding that today that we are in two classes: (1) People who are unable to ever authenticate except through the phone app, and (2) People who can authenticate most of the time, although they are often throtttled. From post 1619 it wasn't obvious to me that the new APIs would work for people in what I describe as class (1). It could be interpreted that it could just make authentication more consistent.

Much words. So yell. Very anger.

Andyw2100 dude... chillax.

I'm pretty chill.

I used the caps to make it easier for people to find the most relevant information, since clearly that had become a problem in this thread. Since highlighting the two most relevant posts didn't work, I thought one sentence in all caps might do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is, thanks. It is my understanding that today that we are in two classes: (1) People who are unable to ever authenticate except through the phone app, and (2) People who can authenticate most of the time, although they are often throtttled. From post 1619 it wasn't obvious to me that the new APIs would work for people in what I describe as class (1). It could be interpreted that it could just make authentication more consistent.

Good, I'm glad.

From reading some of your other posts, you seem like a computer-guy, for lack of a better term. I'm guessing you have now read the post jpasqua linked to in post 1619, and now do understand that Visible Tesla should work for those of us in class 1, right? (That's my understanding anyway.) With the caveats, of course, that we have to be careful about being throttled, and losing access to our cars entirely.

I am a financial guy but I used to be an engineer and I am a computer geek - that's one of the reasons that I bought a Tesla. I will take your word that the new APIs should fix the problem for everyone but I was under the impression that there is a theory that the class (1) people are on new/different servers than class (2) people which may make it harder or impossible to successfully authenticate. But I understand that jpasqua may be very reluctant to be too detailed in his explanations because that would make it easier for Tesla VT.

But I still think there should be a grassroots campaign to tell Tesla to chill out and let us (1) have 3rd party apps in are car including CarPlay, and (2) allow third party access to the information that they have on our cars from other applications like VT or even 3rd party mobile apps. Has that been tried?

But I still think there should be a grassroots campaign to tell Tesla to chill out and let us (1) have 3rd party apps in are car including CarPlay, and (2) allow third party access to the information that they have on our cars from other applications like VT or even 3rd party mobile apps. Has that been tried?

I don't think any grass roots campaign has been tried yet.

I agree Tesla should allow third-party apps, access, etc.

That being said, for the time being if they mellow out a bit and wind up letting things be with Visible Tesla working as it hopefully will be, I'd be OK with that, for the time-being.

I think there may be some indication, both from what has been written in this thread, and from my own experience with the app, that Tesla has eased back a bit on the throttling threshold. When I first received the car, if I was playing with the app, quit it, started it, fooled around a bit, etc., I could find myself throttled. This was with the Tesla app, on my Android phone. Lately the same sort of activity does not result in throttling.

So it's possible that Tesla built the throttling so that they could throttle if they had to, and had it turned up to the point where it had been causing real problems, but that they have now dialed it back some, so that as long as people don't abuse things, all will be well. If that is the case, I'm OK with it, so long as Tesla doesn't start throttling again for usage that we'd see as necessary.

I am a financial guy but I used to be an engineer and I am a computer geek - that's one of the reasons that I bought a Tesla. I will take your word that the new APIs should fix the problem for everyone but I was under the impression that there is a theory that the class (1) people are on new/different servers than class (2) people which may make it harder or impossible to successfully authenticate. But I understand that jpasqua may be very reluctant to be too detailed in his explanations because that would make it easier for Tesla VT.

I'm not aware of any grassroots campaign to petition for support of 3rd parties via a supported API.

However, with some knowledge of such things, I can tell you that supporting 3rd parties will end up being quite a bit of effort for Telsa, and obviously not currently a software priority. An externally supported API has a rather different level of documentation, regression testing, comprehensive qualification, rigorous release procedure, and a full-time support team to field the myriad questions from 3rd party developers that an internal only API does not.

Count me in for any campaign to expedite development of 3rd party app support, via CarPlay or otherwise!

And much thanks to @jpasqua for the ongoing development work on VT. Looking forward to actually being able to run it for the first time :D

Adding my voice to the thundering crowd... Thanks for the wonderful app. I just upgraded to a P85D, and lost Visual Tesla (can no longer log in). I'm very much looking forward to a windows build of the alpha, beta, or whatever version of your latest, since anything will be better than the current nothing.

-Steve

I've sent the test build to a couple of folks who are taking the arrows in the back for the rest of you. I'm fixing things as they report them and will broaden out the release as it gets closer to even loosely calling it stable.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla does seem to be taking some "defensive actions" and I am trying to adapt as needed. One of the people testing the 0.50.00 release (actually it's up to 0.50.03) has never been able to log in before and was able to get in with that version.

Joe

The program stopped working on my main Windows computer but still worked on my other computers. Clicking on the icon yielded nothing. Java had recently been updated to the latest version 8. On a hunch I went to the Java web site and found version 7 and downloaded it. I uninstalled version 8 and then installed version 7. VisibleTesla is working fine with Java version 7. Is there a problem with VisibleTesla and Java version 8?

Last edited: