Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what do people otherwise generally do? I don't have a computer online AND running all the time. Maybe I should, like getting a second hand Mac Mini, with some remote access as well. Would probably serve well as some home control system, now I'
m at it!

The used Mac Mini solution is -exactly- what I did. I got a 2011 version with 2GB Ram from OWC, and added another 2GB. I also run a PC application for my Vantage Vue weather station using VMWare Fusion, and 2GB total was painfully slow.

I set it up connected to my MacBook Pro, and then run it headless. I run TeamViewer to get it when away from home, and OS X screen sharing when home.

FYI, I have had Visible Tesla running since the day after I got my MS 85 on 12/16, and have not had any login problems.

It looks like I may have come across an issue with the latest Java being installed on my system and therefore VisibleTesla won't start. I had been using it fine until about a month ago. I saw a reference in the FAQ about there being an incompatibility, but it really doesn't help me to get things going. This is on windows 7. I extracted the zip and started from the extracted directory, but no joy. Any suggestions? I can't see any activity other than a brief clock icon.

It looks like I may have come across an issue with the latest Java being installed on my system and therefore VisibleTesla won't start. I had been using it fine until about a month ago. I saw a reference in the FAQ about there being an incompatibility, but it really doesn't help me to get things going. This is on windows 7. I extracted the zip and started from the extracted directory, but no joy. Any suggestions? I can't see any activity other than a brief clock icon.

Are you using the batch file to start VT in the version with the bundled Java executable? If you start VT directly, it will use the system default. The batch file is what invokes the bundled java environment...

Are you using the batch file to start VT in the version with the bundled Java executable? If you start VT directly, it will use the system default. The batch file is what invokes the bundled java environment...

For the 0.28.01 zip there is no bat file. Just the lib, jar and png files. Is the bat file perhaps in an earlier zip I need to grab? I am executing the jar directly.

- - - Updated - - -

For the 0.28.01 zip there is no bat file. Just the lib, jar and png files. Is the bat file perhaps in an earlier zip I need to grab? I am executing the jar directly.

OK, I see the potential issue. The windows download link takes you to a level that's got zip bundles, but is not the full bundle. You must select the "WinApp" directory then select your zip bundle to get the full bundle for windows. I had just seen the zip and not the other directories.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I see the potential issue. The windows download link takes you to a level that's got zip bundles, but is not the full bundle. You must select the "WinApp" directory then select your zip bundle to get the full bundle for windows. I had just seen the zip and not the other directories.

Yup, I think you have it... the .bat file was in one of the alternates if I recall.

As a pleasant side effect, the bundled version seems to have a smaller memory footprint than using the later Java flavors... still large at ~350MB, but better than the 500+MB I had seen previously consumed...

Noob question - have followed the steds outlined on the Github site for TeslaClient and VisibleTesla. Had to perform most steps as root on the Mac, the files are now in the right place.
But then - what do I do to actually build the application? (yes I have googled, downloaded Xcode which seemed to be necessary but then have reached the end of my wit). Any friendly :) pointers appreciated, feel kind of stupid here!

Noob question - have followed the steds outlined on the Github site for TeslaClient and VisibleTesla. Had to perform most steps as root on the Mac, the files are now in the right place.
But then - what do I do to actually build the application? (yes I have googled, downloaded Xcode which seemed to be necessary but then have reached the end of my wit). Any friendly :) pointers appreciated, feel kind of stupid here!

You don't need root to build VisibleTesla on a Mac. Here's roughly what you need.

A copy of git or subversion (This comes with XCode but you don't have to get it this way)
A copy of a Java 7 JDK (Link provided because Oracle is good at making things hard to find. Don't use Java 8 it won't work. Java SE - Downloads | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle)
Apache Ant
cron4j

The scripts in the README.md files for TeslaClient and VisibileTesla are a little out of sync with the build system. Also one of the items it tries to download ends up not being there anymore and you have to adjust the version in the scripts. After using the scripts you need to adjust nbnproject/project.properties in both TeslaClient and VisibleTesla to match the dependencies. Some files moved around a little bit, some are just slightly different versions. The current version of the JDK is 1.7.0_75 but the build system assumes 1.7.0_25 so you'll need to adjust the paths for that as well.

The README.md tells you to setup JAVA_HOME like this:
export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home`
But you probably want to do this instead (to make sure you get Java 7):

export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.7`
To actually build the software you need to run ant when inside TeslaClient and again when inside VisibleTesla.

I found I needed to pass the following extra argument to ant:
-Dplatforms.Default_JavaFX_Platform.home=$JAVA_HOME

This is a very rough list. If you're not super comfortable with software development and in particular Java software development that you'll probably find this more difficult than is worth it to you. jpasqua had said he would publish a version of 0.50 at some point for adventurous people. But hasn't done so yet. So it may just be best to wait for that.

Last edited:
Thanks a million. I'll give it a try a rainy day :)

Do you live in Death Valley or Seattle? The time horizon could be quite different :)

I thought I had the latest JAVA, and VT runs fine on my Mac.

Your current version is Java 7 Update 75. It is recommended that you update now to keep your system secure.

I guess not! Thank you for the warning, however critical this update is, when will VT work with J8?

Struggling to build the latest version. Windows 7, 64-bit. I've got the files together. I've got Git Shell running, Ant & Java SDK 7 installed. I've entered all of the commands shown on the Github instructions. I've gone into VisibleTesla and used the Ant Run command, but I get an error that the J2SE platform is not correctly setup. When I go to the TeslaClient folder and use ant run I get a compiler error associated with /nbproject/build-impl.xml.

I'm not a programmer and I don't play one on TV, but I have been very involved in computers for 30+ years. Suggestions?

VisibleTesla is super important to me, and I just picked up my new Model S, and, of course, I can't login.

Help . . . please.:confused:

Last edited:
Struggling to build the latest version. Windows 7, 64-bit. I've got the files together. I've got Git Shell running, Ant & Java SDK 7 installed. I've entered all of the commands shown on the Github instructions. I've gone into VisibleTesla and used the Ant Run command, but I get an error that the J2SE platform is not correctly setup. When I go to the TeslaClient folder and use ant run I get a compiler error associated with /nbproject/build-impl.xml.

See my post here:
VisibleTesla - Page 171

If you're building on Windows and not on the Mac you're likely going to have to do more updating on paths because some of the paths in the nbnproject/project.properties are hardcoded to paths that would be valid on the Mac.

The error about the J2SE platform not being correctly setup sounds like what I ended up passing this argument to ant to solve:

On Windows you'll need to reference the JAVA_HOME environment variable (assuming you have it set) like this:
%JAVA_HOME%

Or you can just give the path to the JDK installation directly instead of by referencing the JAVA_HOME, but I'm guessing you have to have JAVA_HOME set anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Car picked up today. Everything is working with the iPhone and TM web site, but VT says Login Failed - Please check your credentials. I checked carefully. Any suggestions? Thanks.

See this post:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...eTesla/page154?p=848346&viewfull=1#post848346

See my post here:
VisibleTesla - Page 171

If you're building on Windows and not on the Mac you're likely going to have to do more updating on paths because some of the paths in the nbnproject/project.properties are hardcoded to paths that would be valid on the Mac.

The error about the J2SE platform not being correctly setup sounds like what I ended up passing this argument to ant to solve:

On Windows you'll need to reference the JAVA_HOME environment variable (assuming you have it set) like this:
%JAVA_HOME%

Or you can just give the path to the JDK installation directly instead of by referencing the JAVA_HOME, but I'm guessing you have to have JAVA_HOME set anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

See this post:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...eTesla/page154?p=848346&viewfull=1#post848346

Thanks for the response. I did see the thread about no new distribution builds. That's why I tried to compile the latest iteration myself.

I do have the Java_Home environment variable set in Windows (found that reading the GitHub how to build instructions). The problem you're describing on the path updating sounds complicated, but I guess I can look into it more. I also tried passing the argument you suggested, but I think I may have the left the "$" in, which is probably wrong for Windows.

I have a Mac too, but I'm guessing it's not any easier than the Windows environment from what I saw of your post -- unless you tell me otherwise.

Sure would like to get this figured out. Guess I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the response. I did see the thread about no new distribution builds. That's why I tried to compile the latest iteration myself.

That wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the post after yours. Forum combined my two posts into one.

I do have the Java_Home environment variable set in Windows (found that reading the GitHub how to build instructions). The problem you're describing on the path updating sounds complicated, but I guess I can look into it more. I also tried passing the argument you suggested, but I think I may have the left the "$" in, which is probably wrong for Windows.

I have a Mac too, but I'm guessing it's not any easier than the Windows environment from what I saw of your post -- unless you tell me otherwise.

Sure would like to get this figured out. Guess I'll keep trying.

It shouldn't be that hard, you're just editing a text file to have the proper paths to the files. The Mac might be a tiny bit easier just because you're just editing smaller bits of the paths and you're not having to do all the downloading by hand and can use the scripts. Assuming there's not something else that I am unaware of that you run into.

Trying it on the Mac now. TeslaClient seemed to compile, but VisibleTesla fights me. Latest error is package jfxtras.labs.scene.control.gauge does not exist and cannot find various symbols. Managed to figure out a number of other errors, but am running out of error hunting skills.

Trying it on the Mac now. TeslaClient seemed to compile, but VisibleTesla fights me. Latest error is package jfxtras.labs.scene.control.gauge does not exist and cannot find various symbols. Managed to figure out a number of other errors, but am running out of error hunting skills.

That labs package doesn't download properly via the script because it only saves the most recent builds on the site. So the file that gets saved is just HTML with a file not found error.

Pick a recent version of the sources.jar file from here:
Index of /repositories/snapshots/org/jfxtras/jfxtras-labs/2.2-r6-SNAPSHOT

And then update the properties file to point to the right file since the filename will be slightly different.

Note: I had a problem with one version I downloaded and just tried a different snapshot and it worked. I don't recall the exact error. But these are snapshots and not stable releases so individual versions might be broken.

The instructions said you should download jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-YYYMMDD.HHMMSS-XXX-sources.jar, but the correct file is jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-YYYMMDD.HHMMSS-XXX.jar (the one without "sources"). jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20150310.090059-448.jar worked for me once I spotted this.

And thanks Breser for getting me started on this. Your post #1709 was very useful to me.